Auteur Sujet: How realistic is full FOW  (Lu 10235 fois)

Hors ligne ges

• Adjudant
Re : Re : Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #15 le: 05 avril 2010, 18:22:17 pm »
Actually, that's a digitalriver thing not matrixgames, but still, they chose to let digitalriver run their shop, so it kinda is their fault. Well anyways, what I wanted to write is: all sales are final doesn't apply if you're from the EU. Here you get

Thanks to EU law.

If it was a couple of bucks I wouldn't whine, but it was $25 which is worth pursuing a refund for.  I wasn't surprised it didn't work on the Sys 7 machines, but was that it wouldn't work on the XP machine.

Anyway, I've dragged this off topic enough...sorry about that.    :(

Hors ligne spec10

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Lieutenant
    • HistWar: Les Grognards unofficial File Depot
Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #16 le: 05 avril 2010, 18:41:12 pm »
Sorry for dragging it a bit further, but ...

... you cold try asking about your problem in the matrixgames forums and / or write directly to the developers. Those guys at matrixgames are amazing when it comes to support. Digitalriver, the guys that run the money part of the business really suck in many ways (or at least their business does, don't want to judge the people there), but the matrixgames guys are awesome :)

Hors ligne ges

• Adjudant
Re : Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #17 le: 05 avril 2010, 20:44:43 pm »
Sorry for dragging it a bit further, but ...

... you cold try asking about your problem in the matrixgames forums and / or write directly to the developers. Those guys at matrixgames are amazing when it comes to support. Digitalriver, the guys that run the money part of the business really suck in many ways (or at least their business does, don't want to judge the people there), but the matrixgames guys are awesome :)

Well, thanks for dragging it out a bit more.   :smile:

I did dig up some information on the forums.  It turns out CotD needs to be run in Windows 98 compatibility mode!  I thought it would work in XP, but no.

I am still getting some errors, but making progress.  It does look very interesting. 

Which brings me back to the topic of LG.  I would love to see a strategic/operational level game that could be used to create campaigns, with battles resolved via LG.  Does this already exist?

I'll look for messages regarding this topic, and if none found, will start a new one.

Thanks again Specio.

ges

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #18 le: 05 avril 2010, 21:01:47 pm »
Which brings me back to the topic of LG.  I would love to see a strategic/operational level game that could be used to create campaigns, with battles resolved via LG.  Does this already exist?

I'll look for messages regarding this topic, and if none found, will start a new one.
This was talked about some time ago, different poeple have different idea's on how this could be done, but making it work is very hard.

Hors ligne Broadsword

• Capitaine
Re : Re : Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #19 le: 06 avril 2010, 02:25:10 am »

ges
Here's the thread:
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,3688.0.html

This is an issue very near and dear to my heart as well!  I, too, struggled with CotD and found it impossible to use on my modern PC as a campaign engine for LG. I've also been trying to use high-quality traditional wargames of operational scale to play the campaign part, then set up the battles in LG.  My first attempt (Rottenburg) has resulted in a nice custom map (see Rottenburg_Bro) on the upload site, but I found frustration when I tried to set up the units in their starting positions (due to the limits on unit placement in the deployment phase of LG).

Hors ligne ges

• Adjudant
Re : Re : Re : Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #20 le: 06 avril 2010, 17:49:44 pm »
Here's the thread:
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,3688.0.html

This is an issue very near and dear to my heart as well!  I, too, struggled with CotD and found it impossible to use on my modern PC as a campaign engine for LG. I've also been trying to use high-quality traditional wargames of operational scale to play the campaign part, then set up the battles in LG.  My first attempt (Rottenburg) has resulted in a nice custom map (see Rottenburg_Bro) on the upload site, but I found frustration when I tried to set up the units in their starting positions (due to the limits on unit placement in the deployment phase of LG).

Thanks for the information, Broadsword.  This is something that will surely come along in time...I hope.

Hors ligne Tirailleur

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Re : Re : How realistic is full FOW
« Réponse #21 le: 07 avril 2010, 15:09:24 pm »
This is an issue very near and dear to my heart as well!  I, too, struggled with CotD and found it impossible to use on my modern PC as a campaign engine for LG.

There is a new update (yes, you read correct) for CotD, with some error fixes and a modified GUI. It's still beta...

Hors ligne Cyrano

• Officier HistWar
  • Adjudant
« Réponse #22 le: 12 avril 2010, 05:44:01 am »
I think it's a great tribute to Frank that he's still supporting a game he's only periodically getting money for (here's to ges on that one :))

I have avoided the Vista upgrade and have no need, as yet, for 7 so this has not been a problem for me...didn't realize how serious it was until I checked out the fora.

Glad to hear it's being worked out...now if he'd only let us have a Peninsular game, I'd be set...

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we... -- The Whiffenpoofs