Auteur Sujet: A long stand-off on a warm afternoon  (Lu 3054 fois)

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
A long stand-off on a warm afternoon
« le: 01 mars 2010, 10:19:55 am »
During a battle (on the excellent Waterloo map) using a couple of small random OOBs, I noticed an enemy regiment had moved far ahead of its Corps and was behind my lines. I sent a cavalry regiment (out of a Corps of 8 regiments)  to harass it. The regiment moved up to about 500m away and stopped. And waited. I ordered in two more, putting one in support and ordering the second to attack. They took up positions...and waited.  The attached picture square1.jpg shows the viewpoint from the infantry square.

After a long time I got bored waiting and  so I ordered the rest of my cavalry Corps up to attack the square. Each regiment dutifully took up position - square2.jpg - and waited. 

After another hour or so of game time, I ordered the Corps off. Three regiments obeyed, four continued to watch the infantry square.

At no time did the infantry have any support but they remained calmly in square , in sight of at least twice as many cavalry and entirely surrounded.

I'm not sure how to interpet this. I was fighting with the default doctrines in conscript mode.  I suppose I should have brought in some horse artillery to blast the square but earlier in the same battle when I ordered one battery to unlimber at a particular place I had chosen, it continued to advance toward the enemy and got itself destroyed.

I think there are still questions about the AI. I would like to see more feedback about why units do not obey orders, even if only in a log made available after the battle ends.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne quartermaster

• Officier HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
Re : A long stand-off on a warm afternoon
« Réponse #1 le: 01 mars 2010, 10:22:00 am »
Was that square showing in the same place on the F2 display?

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #2 le: 01 mars 2010, 10:51:17 am »
Bonjour Messieurs,

Ah, yes .... the ever-present quest for perfection ....  :lol:

Makes this poor-old world go round ....  ;) *cracks open another cold-one @ 4AM (or 1600 GMT)*

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 01 mars 2010, 10:57:19 am par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #3 le: 01 mars 2010, 11:15:11 am »
I'm not sure how to interpet this. I was fighting with the default doctrines in conscript mode.  I suppose I should have brought in some horse artillery to blast the square

Did you send an order to a ART unit to attack the square?

but earlier in the same battle when I ordered one battery to unlimber at a particular place I had chosen, it continued to advance toward the enemy and got itself destroyed.

Is March order?

I think there are still questions about the AI. I would like to see more feedback about why units do not obey orders, even if only in a log made available after the battle ends.

You are right; it's in the important next tasks. Why ? Sometimes, I looked for a bug about a curious unit behavior and after analyse, I find a rule which explains the action.

Could you send this battle to technique@histwargames.com
THX
JMM

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #4 le: 01 mars 2010, 12:48:17 pm »
@quartermaster:
Yes - the 2d and the 3d maps agree. You can see the small 2d map in the picture square2, showing the regiment in square and the Corps to which it belongs

@JMM - I will email you the saved game tonight.
I did not order any artillery to attack - as I mentioned in my post, one of the artillery regiments attached to the cavalry corps had already refused to obey orders and was destroyed. I had given that unit a March order but to the place where I wished it to unlimber, not to the place at least 500m away where it moved under its own volition.
Has anyone seen my leg?