Auteur Sujet: WASD control for commander  (Lu 3143 fois)

Hors ligne ross_ntu

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Soldat
WASD control for commander
« le: 03 février 2010, 22:17:59 pm »
It would be so helpful to have the ability to directly control the commander rather than have to click on move HQ and then wait for the order delay (daft when you're controlling yourself!  I doubt Napoleon actually thought "Hmmm!  Let me go and see what Davout it doing.....in fifteen minutes."    Being able to control the unit with the WASD keys would improve the commander view no end.  At the moment it is way too fiddly to be fun.    Have I missed something?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : WASD control for commander
« Réponse #1 le: 03 février 2010, 23:00:14 pm »
It would be so helpful to have the ability to directly control the commander rather than have to click on move HQ and then wait for the order delay (daft when you're controlling yourself!  I doubt Napoleon actually thought "Hmmm!  Let me go and see what Davout it doing.....in fifteen minutes."    Being able to control the unit with the WASD keys would improve the commander view no end.  At the moment it is way too fiddly to be fun.    Have I missed something?

Hey Ross!

The delay after giving the HQ a move order is never more than 2 minutes.  Seems like forever sometimes though.

The CinC and corps commanders get normal move orders like the other units, with an arrow on the 2D map showing where they're going.  The point of this arrow is more of a suggestion than a demand, because you can get enemy units threatening the commanders and they have to move.  When the ground is clear again, they'll move back, remembering where they were supposed to be.  I've had the CinC take breaks along the way to the destination, most times.  I didn't ask them what they were doing, I just figured they had some good reason.

If you had WASD keys to move the commander, things would get tricky, especially around the enemy.  I'm not saying WASD is a bad idea, just that it might not work the way people think.  Something for the wish list, I guess, and hope for the best.

Hook

Hors ligne ross_ntu

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Soldat
« Réponse #2 le: 04 février 2010, 00:44:07 am »
Thanks for answering Hook- I just mean that at the moment if you are locked to your commander's view it is frustrating that in order to view your troops you have to order yourself to move, something that seems unnescessarily complex.    For me if someone rides their commander into the enemy then they have to be prepared for Game Over.

2 minutes seems very short for the longest order delay?  Does this apply to even the units furthest away from the commander- I am using historical delays?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 04 février 2010, 01:28:02 am »
The 2 minutes is for movement orders given to the commander in chief.  It's also the delay for orders given to individual regiments.  Corps orders follow your configuration setup delays... check the bottom of the corps commander's info card to see what the expected delay will be.

Hook

Hors ligne mhlarsen

• Caporal
« Réponse #4 le: 13 février 2010, 17:41:23 pm »

I fully agree with ross_ntu on this matter.
When JMM implements the CINC mode for LG, then this control should not be merely a wish, but a must, as I see it.
Whether it should be as WASD or some other kind of direct control remains to be seen. Dont forget binoculars to go with this  ;)

Michael
Michael Henrik Larsen