Auteur Sujet: Comments from a 1v1 MP game.  (Lu 5933 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Comments from a 1v1 MP game.
« le: 08 février 2010, 15:50:42 pm »

NOTE : No stats displayed at the end of the battle for the other side. I will report this as a bug as when the battle is FINISHED we need ALL the stats displayed.

Very interesting, even if it ended a draw.....I said a while ago there might be a lot of draws and I'm sure that will still happen.

Played with full grognards mode, 9 hour battle played in 90 minutes at 10/60 speed the whole way though.

As I said some while ago on the HW forum this full grog mode is very neat but I don't think it's all that great for MP, in 90 minutes I hardly saw any 3d map action, I was on the 2d map about 90+% of the time.  The full grog mode may be very clever, but the order delays can be hard to "accept".  My northern most Corps never moved for about 5 or 6 hours after giving orders as soon as the battle started - now that's annoying.  They got into limited action about 2-3 hours before sunset at 10pm.

Eveything worked very well from a "technical" point of view using hamachi, I got a little screen flicker now and then as the minute marker passed, but no lag whatsoever.

The FoW will take a lot of getting used to, on the southern flank it kept updating GPs position in one place, then another, then back, it went back and forth like this for most of the battle, so you never really know for sure where the enemy is even when engaged and fighting them - which is the thing a lot of people wanted and like, but it will take a lot of getting used to.

I suspect for MP games the "regular" mode might be more fun.  If I remember anything else I will add it later.
« Modifié: 08 février 2010, 15:53:02 pm par Gunner24 »

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Comments from a 1v1 MP game.
« Réponse #1 le: 08 février 2010, 16:33:03 pm »
I comfirm all my opponent Gunner24 says.

I add the lack of discipline from some units. They walk around from they own initiative. And that even from the Old Guard, the most surprising.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #2 le: 08 février 2010, 16:38:06 pm »
Well done. We've only had crashes up to now.
Did either one of you spend much time on the 3D map?
Did you change speed during the game?
How did you communicate the start of the game? How much time was between the host  and the client pressed start?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #3 le: 08 février 2010, 16:49:55 pm »
Did either one of you spend much time on the 3D map?

Not me, only about 10% on the 3d map, as it was FIXED to the CiC.

Did you change speed during the game?
We kept it at 10/60 the whole way, but we did change speeds the other day in testing and it's no problem, works fine.

How did you communicate the start of the game? How much time was between the host  and the client pressed start?
We met in the hamachi chat, GP was host and I joined within 2 minutes of leaving the Hamachi chat, then we had a few minutes to set up and them we were off and running.

All the info on Hamach is here :
http://napbc.freeforums.org/index.php
under the LG/mp forum.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #4 le: 08 février 2010, 16:53:23 pm »
Thanks Gunner,

maybe we need to try Hamachi and see if that's more stable for us.
One major difference seems to be that we used the 3D map a lot with full view but unit visibility set to Conditional.
That way you can see all the action but the Fow keeps units hidden.
I suppose that the number of units that need to rendered could have an influence on the performance.

Ras

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 08 février 2010, 17:13:03 pm »
maybe we need to try Hamachi and see if that's more stable for us.
I've only tried it twice, but in about 3 hours, no crash, no lag, no problems....other than in the first I got no cannon and musket sounds, and no smoke from firing cannons....it was ok today.

One major difference seems to be that we used the 3D map a lot with full view but unit visibility set to Conditional.
That way you can see all the action but the Fow keeps units hidden.
This is what I will be using in future - full grog mode sounds all well and good, but from a practical point of view I would not recomend it.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #6 le: 08 février 2010, 17:49:34 pm »
Okay, have it installed and it should list me as new member in NapBc

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #7 le: 08 février 2010, 20:44:54 pm »
Yes, I see you there, and Count Miloradovich....I think it has a limit of 16 people per network, if it becomes popular we can make another one, NapBC1, NapBC2 etc etc.....sp if one gets full move to the other.

It was Uhlanen that recommened trying this, and set NapBC up - so all thanks to him.

Hors ligne Grog

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #8 le: 08 février 2010, 22:28:37 pm »
Good news Gunner

Sounds promising and streightforward (for a Change)

I agree, full view and conditional (FoW) seems sensible settings for MP, for now at least.

Hopefully, CiC view will become more appealing with practice and the inclusion of a telescope function (if and when it is added)

Looking forward to meeting you fellas on the field.

Grog (NBC)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #9 le: 09 février 2010, 00:32:46 am »
I managed to sneak in another one tonight, about one hour real time for an 8am to 1pm battle at 10/60 speed, it was the mode where the enemy are shown with a "?" on the 2d map but no info is displayed on the 3d unit for the enemy, I do find this difficult to get used to, not knowing anything about the enemy right in front of you except for inf/cav/arty.

I see you in the NapBC Hamachi roon Grog......any one is free to join, it is not for NBC members only, we try to be a friendly bunch.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Comments from a 1v1 MP game.
« Réponse #10 le: 09 février 2010, 01:01:55 am »
not knowing anything about the enemy right in front of you except for inf/cav/arty.

Their unit info card should be filled in as your troops learn more about the units.  I've seen this one a lot, at least at Grognard difficulty.

Hook

Hors ligne Grog

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Re : Comments from a 1v1 MP game.
« Réponse #11 le: 09 février 2010, 02:34:08 am »
Their unit info card should be filled in as your troops learn more about the units.  I've seen this one a lot, at least at Grognard difficulty.

Hook

Thanks Hook

Good feature.

But of course, a true Grognard only needs to see the unit with his own eyes to know what unit he is fighting. No need for fancy unit cards. Ha  :D

Hors ligne AnkLrd

• Major
« Réponse #12 le: 09 février 2010, 06:47:32 am »
Gunner,is it possible to make a seperate topic (sticky maybe) for "Hamachi" explaining the details for a MP game with it?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #13 le: 09 février 2010, 13:54:34 pm »
Gunner,is it possible to make a seperate topic (sticky maybe) for "Hamachi" explaining the details for a MP game with it
I can do that later today.