Auteur Sujet: Cavalry Charges  (Lu 5096 fois)

Hors ligne webern7

• Soldat
Cavalry Charges
« le: 07 février 2010, 22:44:25 pm »
In the HistWar videos I have seen, cavalry charges appear to be at a full gallop from start to finish. Am I wrong? In actuality, charges began at a walk and went later to a trot. Galloping, if it occurred at all, happened only at the very end, to avoid having a disorganized line with blown horses.

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Cavalry Charges
« Réponse #1 le: 07 février 2010, 23:00:22 pm »
In the HistWar videos I have seen, cavalry charges appear to be at a full gallop from start to finish. Am I wrong? In actuality, charges began at a walk and went later to a trot. Galloping, if it occurred at all, happened only at the very end, to avoid having a disorganized line with blown horses.
With the full game at slow speed, you see all the changes from walk, to trot, to gallop and finally to triple gallop (is this english?) they fatigue level of cavalry after charges rises drastically and the nee time to rally after a charge...they might rout when the enemy infantry formes square and cannot attack this square... :p
So believe me, this game is in the top line when it gets to realism... :mrgreen:
when you watch closely you will see details you might not have observed otherwise...special uniforms for voltigeurs companies and grenadiers companies, regimental cannon...and so on...cavalry is a bit aggressive but with the excellent doctrine editor you can restrict that... :mrgreen:

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 09 février 2010, 21:16:12 pm »
I think between "trot" and "gallop" there is "canter". Not sure what a triple gallop is - sounds like the British cavalry as they disappear out of control, as usual
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne quartermaster

• Officier HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #3 le: 09 février 2010, 21:35:56 pm »
Not sure that canter was ever used by the cavalry.

Whilst a bit later than this period there is some useful analysis in Balck - Tactics (Trans. Krueger).  In volume II he describes the speed of the various gaits and some comments on recovery from exertion.

Some nations used an "accelerated" gallop which could be this triple gallop perhaps.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Cavalry Charges
« Réponse #4 le: 09 février 2010, 21:37:42 pm »
I think between "trot" and "gallop" there is "canter". Not sure what a triple gallop is - sounds like the British cavalry as they disappear out of control, as usual
sorry..."triple gallop" is the german translation for the fastest way a horse could get, just before they make contact with the enemy...I'd really like to learn the correct English term for that...any idea?

CvC

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
« Réponse #5 le: 09 février 2010, 22:04:02 pm »
As a matter of fact, "triple galop" is also an expression in French, but only in a figurative sense.

Dictionaries translate it as "top speed", so I don't think there is a real equivalent in English.

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #6 le: 09 février 2010, 22:17:04 pm »
Bonjour Messieurs,

Here is interesting link about horse gait (sorry, en Anglais) ....  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_gait

Prior to charge contact, I call it 'run-like-hell' speed ....  :lol: (cause there ain't no way in hell you're gonna get that horse to slow down)

Cordialement, DoE

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #7 le: 10 février 2010, 00:36:41 am »
ok...I checked...here is what I found out:

In a good regimental charge the men should be halted 200 or 300 metres distant from the target. On the command "Escadrons, en avant-marche" they would begin to advance at a walking pace. Then the commanding colonel would give the order "Au trot!" After trotting half the distance towards the enemy, the colonel would order "Au galop!" Finally, at 60 metres distance from the enemy and on command "Chargez!" the horses would be thrown into the Full or Triple Gallop. If this was properly carried out, the horses did not tire before the impact and the lines were kept straight. ... (researched in Napoleon's Cavalry and its Leaders, by David Johnson)...
I am still looking for a translation for "gestreckter Gallop"... :mrgreen:

CvC
« Modifié: 10 février 2010, 02:39:45 am par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #8 le: 10 février 2010, 01:09:18 am »
Perhaps 'gallop at full pelt'.

I think with regard to this discussion there is some overlap between terms used to describe gait and terms used to describe speed. Terms like trot, canter and gallop describe the way the horse's feet move (gait) but are also used for speed as a horse (or rider) will use a different gait depending on how fast they want to go. I am guessing that in a 'triple gallop' the horses feet are not moving differently to how they do in a regular gallop, but are just moving faster.

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #9 le: 11 février 2010, 04:32:43 am »
Bonjour Messieurs,

@le Count .... Most instructive, merci ....  :)

@Regiment o .... Makes sense, even has the right 'feel' to it ....  ;)

That said, who doesn't love a really good cavalry charge in the mornin' (especially at 'Gestreckter Gallop') .... :lol:

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 11 février 2010, 04:35:44 am par Duke of Earl »