Auteur Sujet: Full game download and installation  (Lu 10232 fois)

Hors ligne pcelt

• Adjudant
Full game download and installation
« le: 01 février 2010, 18:48:02 pm »
I am sitting here with the 323Mb  install .exe file and a text file containing a copy of my key number.
   I have tried various ways to try and install this game but have failed---and then no forum all day to get any advice.

Could someone please dscribe in clear terms  the exact steps I need now to take in order to install this game,
       Many thanks

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Full game download and installation
« Réponse #1 le: 01 février 2010, 18:56:55 pm »
Citation de: pcelt link=topic=3744.ms g50872#msg50872 date=1265046482
I am sitting here with the 323Mb  install .exe file and a text file containing a copy of my key number.
   I have tried various ways to try and install this game but have failed---and then no forum all day to get any advice.

Could someone please dscribe in clear terms  the exact steps I need now to take in order to install this game,
       Many thanks
ok first install the exe. then insert the cd-key into a new txt. file or some form of editor...then rename it "idKey.hw"...meaning change the name and the extension with so you can't open it with the editor any more...then copy the new file into the installfolder of histwar...then it should all work properly...worked for me...if you still have a problem...just ask... :mrgreen:
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
« Réponse #2 le: 01 février 2010, 22:18:35 pm »
then insert the cd-key into a new txt. file or some form of editor...then rename it "idKey.hw

Sorry, but I didn't have to do this. I just put the key.hw file into the Histwar Folder.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Full game download and installation
« Réponse #3 le: 01 février 2010, 22:19:52 pm »
Sorry, but I didn't have to do this. I just put the key.hw file into the Histwar Folder.
if you'd got that file...yes... :mrgreen:

Hors ligne pcelt

• Adjudant
« Réponse #4 le: 01 février 2010, 22:33:55 pm »
Now have the game up and running but have a problem accessing all the Editors----each responds "System cannot find file specified *
  I have changed the resolution in the Language "Initdiag.txt" to 1920/1080 to fit my widescreen resolution ---but cant imagine this is related to problem------Any ideas from any experienced gamer please
    Thanks for any help

Now solved
« Modifié: 02 février 2010, 00:16:47 am par pcelt »

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
« Réponse #5 le: 01 février 2010, 22:34:19 pm »
To Count von Csollich
 I see.

I suppose some people got a txt file (which should be converted), while others received a ready to use *.hw file.

Am I right ?

To PC elt.

I don't know, but it looks like the installation didn't go right. Maybe it was incomplete.

If I had that kind of problem, I'd uninstall and reinstall.
« Modifié: 01 février 2010, 22:36:49 pm par DominiqueT »

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #6 le: 01 février 2010, 22:36:03 pm »
I see.

I suppose some people got a txt file (which should be converted), while others received a ready to use *.hw file.

Am I right ?
some only got a number...not even a text file...that's why this method was invented...by our glorious Hook... :mrgreen:

Hors ligne Barticus1313

• Soldat
« Réponse #7 le: 02 février 2010, 09:29:42 am »
I am exasperated.  After following this game for several years from the french site to --------- then back to here.  Pre ordering the napoleonic set.  I get my key code and cant get it to launch.  I am running windows 7, i have tried making a new text file in the program file and pasting the number in the new text file that i have labled idkey.hw and i still get no valid key when i try to launch.  Most of the games i buy dont requier monkeying with the program and doing a bit of what seems like jury rigging to get it working.  Usually i just pay for the game and a window pops up that asks for my purchase number.  I put it in and i play the game.  Why on earth do we have to do it this way.  I have been trying to get this to work for 3 days and nothing seems to work.  Could someone who speaks english put a step by step guide up showing how to get it to work?  Please do not assume that i know anything about computer programming.  I am old and dont have a background in that area.  Thank you.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #8 le: 02 février 2010, 10:01:16 am »
I am exasperated.  After following this game for several years from the french site to --------- then back to here.  Pre ordering the napoleonic set.  I get my key code and cant get it to launch.  I am running windows 7, i have tried making a new text file in the program file and pasting the number in the new text file that i have labled idkey.hw and i still get no valid key when i try to launch.  [..] Could someone who speaks english put a step by step guide up showing how to get it to work?  Please do not assume that i know anything about computer programming.  I am old and dont have a background in that area.  Thank you.
Hello. I think you're almost there.
Could you please follow the instructions on this page: http://askabouttech.com/how-to-show-file-extension-in-windows-7/
I think it's a vital step. Then get back to me.

Ras

Hors ligne jwewan

• Soldat
« Réponse #9 le: 02 février 2010, 11:34:53 am »
Ras,

Thankyou for that tip..........that helped me.  i was totally confused about this file business.

john

Hors ligne Barticus1313

• Soldat
« Réponse #10 le: 02 février 2010, 21:49:31 pm »
First let me say thankyou for trying to help me.  I went to the link and have gone thru the steps.  However, sadly i am still getting the same result.  Perhaps i have not created the correct type of file but here is what i have.  I made a folder and have named it idKey.hw.  I have clicked organize and un checked and applied the box regarding hidden file extentions.  Within my folder named idKey.hw i have a text document labeled idkey.hw.text.  {i have tried modifying the name of the text file to just idkey.hw with similar results} within the text file i have copied and pasted the 69 character number that was at the bottom of the email i got from JMM.  i have put the file with the text file containing that number in the histwar file.  i launch the game.  set up a scenario try to enter battlefield and get the key error. i am sure i must be making a mistake in setting it up but i cant figure out what i am doing wrong.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #11 le: 02 février 2010, 22:07:08 pm »
First let me say thankyou for trying to help me.  I went to the link and have gone thru the steps.  However, sadly i am still getting the same result.  Perhaps i have not created the correct type of file but here is what i have.  I made a folder and have named it idKey.hw.  I have clicked organize and un checked and applied the box regarding hidden file extentions.  Within my folder named idKey.hw i have a text document labeled idkey.hw.text.  {i have tried modifying the name of the text file to just idkey.hw with similar results} within the text file i have copied and pasted the 69 character number that was at the bottom of the email i got from JMM.  i have put the file with the text file containing that number in the histwar file.  i launch the game.  set up a scenario try to enter battlefield and get the key error. i am sure i must be making a mistake in setting it up but i cant figure out what i am doing wrong.
the key has to be copied into a .txt  file (or some other form of editor) which you rename "idKey.hw" and save....if you do it right you should not be able to open the file with your texteditor again...
then move this file into the main histwar folder and all should be fine!
For instructions how to show the extension (.txt) and change it see here:

1.step: use the odd number below the email (the long one with numbers and letters mixed) and copy it into a txt. file (or some other editor)
2.step. get your explorer to show the extension of every file (meaning the .txt or the .doc at the end of every document...) :to do that: select "Tools" in the menu -> Folder options ->Views -> deselect "do not show extensions" , which is a click option , you know a square you can put a cross in or not...(or something similar, maybe not the exact term used there,...might all be a bit different with vista and seven, I've got xp pro....)
3.step: rename the file totally into "idKey.hw" (after that you shouldn't be able to open it with your editor again...
4.step: if you have done all this...with success  ... copy the file into the main "Histwar" folder from your installation of the game...(you have to check where you installed it exactly... (default might be... C:\histwargames\Histwar....or something else....
5.step: start the game and enjoy it 
you might get a white screen with the first try...close the game and try again...it should run smoothly then...

good luck  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CvC

Hors ligne Barticus1313

• Soldat
« Réponse #12 le: 02 février 2010, 22:21:06 pm »
Ok while i was waiting i went back and deleted everything i had put into the histwar file folder.  Then i followed the step by step instructions  from this thread http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/topic,3784.0/topicseen.html  and this time because i had un hidden the file extentions i was able to properly complete the process and my new text file works.  As a side note for anyone having windows 7, make sure to follow this thread first http://askabouttech.com/how-to-show-file-extension-in-windows-7/ then go to the step by step instructions after you have sucessfully un checked the hide file extentions box.  On the last step when you rename the text file, idKey.hw, you will get a warning that it may make the text file no longer work, select Yes and save it anyway.  Thanks again for the help and my game is now working.  I would urge JMM to include both links when sending out keys along with more precise instructions to help avoid future problems and frustrations.
Most Respectfully and Appreciative,
Bart

Hors ligne goodwood

• Caporal
« Réponse #13 le: 05 février 2010, 11:35:52 am »
Crikey what does an honest paying customer deserve to suffer that installation crap! 18 hours after purchase I finally get the game going. Thanks to all those that gave advise. I haven't played the game yet, but I certainly have a better understanding of some of the Win 7 application T I wasn't remotely interested in. Dear Devs if you want to make money on this adventure you're just gotta make things a hell of lot easier.
Ron