Auteur Sujet: "View" option request - limited to any commander  (Lu 9786 fois)

Hors ligne Cpl Steiner

• Lieutenant
"View" option request - limited to any commander
« le: 12 janvier 2010, 23:26:26 pm »
Hi all,

I think as it stands you can set the "View" option so that a) you have an unrestricted view of the whole battlefield, or b) your view is restricted to the viewpoint of the army commander (e.g. Napoleon, Alexander or whoever your HQ is represented by).

Personally I don't like either of these options. One is too restrictive whereas the other is not restrictive enough.

Can we please have a third option - view is restricted to the army or corps commanders only. If you press F3, the game should put you in the Army commander's shoes but allow you to move around the chain of command, so you could see what the view looks like from Murat or Jerome's position for example.

Hope this makes sense.

Hors ligne Langeron

• Lieutenant
  • Alexandre Louis Andrault, comte de Langeron
    • http://www.histwar.fr
Re : "View" option request - limited to any commander
« Réponse #1 le: 12 janvier 2010, 23:41:26 pm »
je viens de terminer Austerlitz en mode commandant d'armée ... un peu frustrant même si j'ai une petite victoire tactique. Qu'ont fait Dokturov et Langeron au nord de mon dispositif ... ils semblent avoir réussi leur attaque...et Bagration à l'extrème nord qui devait amplifier l'atttaque qu'a t-il fait ? Liechtenstein qui devait appuyer cette massse austro-Russe ... je ne l'ai jamais vu ... ?   aussi en effet je suis tout à fait d'accord ... avec Cpl Steiner ... la 3ème option serait un bon compromis entre le réalisme et le jeu. La vision des commandants de corps m'a beaucoup manqué en terme de curiosité ludique.
...................................................... Google translator

I just finished Austerlitz mode army commander ... a bit frustrating although I have a small tactical victory. What did Dokturov Langeron and north of my device ... they seem to have their attack ... Bagration and in the extreme north, which would amplify the atttaque has he done? Liechtenstein, which should support this masss Austro-Russian ... I've never seen ... ? as indeed I am quite agree ... with Cpl Steiner ... 3rd option would be a good compromise between realism and the game's vision of the corps commanders missed me a lot in terms of playful curiosity.
« Modifié: 12 janvier 2010, 23:47:09 pm par Langeron »
La faim justifie les moyens

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #2 le: 13 janvier 2010, 01:10:04 am »
Hi all,

I think as it stands you can set the "View" option so that a) you have an unrestricted view of the whole battlefield, or b) your view is restricted to the viewpoint of the army commander (e.g. Napoleon, Alexander or whoever your HQ is represented by).

Personally I don't like either of these options. One is too restrictive whereas the other is not restrictive enough.

Can we please have a third option - view is restricted to the army or corps commanders only. If you press F3, the game should put you in the Army commander's shoes but allow you to move around the chain of command, so you could see what the view looks like from Murat or Jerome's position for example.

Hope this makes sense.

Bonjour Cpl Steiner,

In 3D view .... I press F5 to get CinC  'saddle' view .... also, I then right click each CC on GUI .... and 'saddle' view shifts to each CC .... so, I survey battlefield from each corps .... very simple .... and Z key zoom works for all .... hope this helps some ....  :)

P.S. Right-click in F5 view also works for ANY unit on GUI .... so, you can ride in 'saddle' with Recon cavalry ....  ;)

The only thing I would prefer is 'tunnel vision' telescope zoom .... 'wide vision' binocular zoom is very good, but I don't think they were in general use back then ....  :?

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 13 janvier 2010, 09:40:59 am par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : "View" option request - limited to any commander
« Réponse #3 le: 13 janvier 2010, 11:30:49 am »
je viens de terminer Austerlitz en mode commandant d'armée ... un peu frustrant même si j'ai une petite victoire tactique. Qu'ont fait Dokturov et Langeron au nord de mon dispositif ... ils semblent avoir réussi leur attaque...et Bagration à l'extrème nord qui devait amplifier l'atttaque qu'a t-il fait ? Liechtenstein qui devait appuyer cette massse austro-Russe ... je ne l'ai jamais vu ... ?   aussi en effet je suis tout à fait d'accord ... avec Cpl Steiner ... la 3ème option serait un bon compromis entre le réalisme et le jeu. La vision des commandants de corps m'a beaucoup manqué en terme de curiosité ludique.

Pendant la bataille, as-tu déplacé ton CenC sur différents secteurs pour observer ce qui s'y passait ?
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne Mooncabbage

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #4 le: 13 janvier 2010, 11:40:29 am »
Hi all,

Hope this makes sense.

I have been having a discussion in another thread about this. My opinion was that their should be an unrestricted 3d view where enemy units that none of your units can see should be completely invisible. However combined with telescope view, I think a view limited to corps commanders would be fine, provided you could order corps commanders around without an order delay, like you can currently move your Army HQ.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 13 janvier 2010, 15:48:17 pm »
My opinion was that their should be an unrestricted 3d view where enemy units that none of your units can see should be completely invisible
I could not agree more, this shoild be a high priorty "fix" - for MP games.

Hors ligne Cpl Steiner

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #6 le: 16 janvier 2010, 07:17:40 am »
Bumping this to promote Mooncabbage's request that unspotted enemy units be invisible in the 3d (F3) map.

From a coding point of view I would have thought this should be easy as it's already like this for the F4 version of the map. Surely this is just a "cut and paste" job?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #7 le: 16 janvier 2010, 11:58:39 am »
This first suggestion would also work very well.
If you press F3, the game should put you in the Army commander's shoes but allow you to move around the chain of command, so you could see what the view looks like from Murat or Jerome's position for example.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #8 le: 16 janvier 2010, 12:28:16 pm »
This first suggestion would also work very well.
If you press F3, the game should put you in the Army commander's shoes but allow you to move around the chain of command, so you could see what the view looks like from Murat or Jerome's position for example.

Actually...

I don't think anyone would mind having the option to lock the view to the CinC or any corps commander.  An intermediate option between View: Full and View: CinC.  It does fit the game design.

Anyone have an objection to this? 

Hook

Hors ligne Cpl Steiner

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #9 le: 16 janvier 2010, 13:00:58 pm »

Actually...

I don't think anyone would mind having the option to lock the view to the CinC or any corps commander.  An intermediate option between View: Full and View: CinC.  It does fit the game design.

Anyone have an objection to this? 

Hook

If this change is implemented, can we have a hot-key to move between commander views? I always liked the way "Take Command: 2nd Manassas" handled this. Pressing left or right arrow moved between commanders of the same rank (e.g. Soult across to Bernadotte or Bernadotte across to Soult) and pressing up or down arrow moved between commanders of different rank (e.g. Soult up to Napoleon or Napoleon down to Bernadotte).

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #10 le: 16 janvier 2010, 13:18:48 pm »
If this change is implemented, can we have a hot-key to move between commander views? I always liked the way "Take Command: 2nd Manassas" handled this. Pressing left or right arrow moved between commanders of the same rank (e.g. Soult across to Bernadotte or Bernadotte across to Soult) and pressing up or down arrow moved between commanders of different rank (e.g. Soult up to Napoleon or Napoleon down to Bernadotte).

What I don't know is if this is already implemented.  We're missing the function described in the manual to take command of a single corps, which may put you in that corps commander's view if you have View set to CinC.  Also, I haven't been able to do a multiplayer game where one player has more than one corps but is not the CinC.  You really can't be locked to the CinC view if you aren't the CinC.

I liked the method of navigating the chain of command in TC2M, and would have liked it more if it had always done what I expected. :) 

We've got the pageup and pagedown keys to do the navigating.  If a corps commander is selected in F5 or F6 view, pageup and pagedown will select the previous or next corps commander.  You can also "slow right click" on another corps commander (or unit) in the display to jump to that unit.  Sometimes it takes a moment for the system to figure out what you want, so hold down the right button.

Hook

Hors ligne Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
« Réponse #11 le: 16 janvier 2010, 18:22:53 pm »
Bumping this to promote Mooncabbage's request that unspotted enemy units be invisible in the 3d (F3) map.

+1, the Fow should be limited also in the 3D view.

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #12 le: 16 janvier 2010, 20:18:36 pm »
What I don't know is if this is already implemented.  We're missing the function described in the manual to take command of a single corps, which may put you in that corps commander's view if you have View set to CinC.  Also, I haven't been able to do a multiplayer game where one player has more than one corps but is not the CinC.  You really can't be locked to the CinC view if you aren't the CinC.

I liked the method of navigating the chain of command in TC2M, and would have liked it more if it had always done what I expected. :)  

We've got the pageup and pagedown keys to do the navigating.  If a corps commander is selected in F5 or F6 view, pageup and pagedown will select the previous or next corps commander.  You can also "slow right click" on another corps commander (or unit) in the display to jump to that unit.  Sometimes it takes a moment for the system to figure out what you want, so hold down the right button.

Hook

Bonjour Hook,

Agreed, I like the TC2M method too .... use it quite a bit ....  :)

But here, all it takes is F5 and then slow right click on GUI icone (maybe even 2D symbol, haven't tried that yet) .... and there you are, locked in the CC saddle! .... :o .... much faster method, I think (except when GUI is Tab off) ....  ;)

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 16 janvier 2010, 20:32:21 pm par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Re : Re : Re : "View" option request - limited to any commander
« Réponse #13 le: 16 janvier 2010, 20:29:13 pm »
+1, the Fow should be limited also in the 3D view.

Bonjour Darsh,

Maybe yes .... maybe no .... I can't decide ....  :?

FOW already on 2D map .... and if I stay put on my side (and don't use my indestructible free helicopter in 3D) , then I don't get a 'free' peek either ....  sometimes, it's a very hard choice! ..... :lol:

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 16 janvier 2010, 20:39:33 pm par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #14 le: 16 janvier 2010, 21:13:30 pm »
I'm all for a "view locked to corps commander and CinC" (I had asked for it previously, but I'll state my preference again for the record).  I would think that the ability to move the corps commanders around would be another option.