Auteur Sujet: Is this still in development?  (Lu 22973 fois)

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
Re : Is this still in development?
« Réponse #45 le: 11 janvier 2010, 22:17:39 pm »
I don't mind the mouse/joystick method of moving at all. It's like driving around the battlefield and given that you aren't really doing much in the 3D mode but looking I think it works well in combo with the F5, F6 etc. functions.

Having said that, I realise there is one sort of movement that is missing and that might be bothering people. That is, to be able to keep the camera pointed in one direction (e.g., north) but to still be able to move it sideways, forwards, backwards and on diagonals; i.e., the camera always points north when it is moving.

Currently you can do this for sideways movement (strafing) using the shift key. I don't know the engine obviously or whether it would be possible, but a possible suggestion would be to make it so you can also move the camera forwards, backwards and diagonally when the shift key is pressed; in essence, the shift key would work to lock the direction of view of the camera. In this case, the shift key would work in conjunction with the full capabilities of the right mouse button-joystick.
« Modifié: 11 janvier 2010, 22:20:04 pm par Regiment 0 »

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
Re : Re : Is this still in development?
« Réponse #46 le: 11 janvier 2010, 22:37:39 pm »
I posted this in the Grenadiers forum, but not everyone can see that- One area that could be improved is the corps selection.  As all selections are the same image, it is difficult to know which is which without scrolling over.  Below is a mock up I've made of a system that would better represent the information in a graphical manner.  It would also be nice to have the historical figures depicted in the game.

Indeed, a very good idea !

Hors ligne Mooncabbage

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #47 le: 11 janvier 2010, 22:41:33 pm »
I don't mind the mouse/joystick method of moving at all. It's like driving around the battlefield and given that you aren't really doing much in the 3D mode but looking I think it works well in combo with the F5, F6 etc. functions.

Having said that, I realise there is one sort of movement that is missing and that might be bothering people. That is, to be able to keep the camera pointed in one direction (e.g., north) but to still be able to move it sideways, forwards, backwards and on diagonals; i.e., the camera always points north when it is moving.

Currently you can do this for sideways movement (strafing) using the shift key. I don't know the engine obviously or whether it would be possible, but a possible suggestion would be to make it so you can also move the camera forwards, backwards and diagonally when the shift key is pressed; in essence, the shift key would work to lock the direction of view of the camera. In this case, the shift key would work in conjunction with the full capabilities of the right mouse button-joystick.

I believe that that is the concept behing the push for WASD camera controls, which can do all the things you mentioned. Also I am sure it would be possible in the engine.

Indeed, a very good idea !

And on that note I have been working on my own suggested changes for the interface, in photoshop format. I have been posting them on the grenadiers forum, but for those of you without access... Hurry up and preorder, I truly believe it to be worth it :)

Here is a screenshot of MY suggestions, THIS IS NOT THE STATE OF THE GAME. Please do comment.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #48 le: 11 janvier 2010, 23:18:49 pm »
Currently you can do this for sideways movement (strafing) using the shift key. I don't know the engine obviously or whether it would be possible, but a possible suggestion would be to make it so you can also move the camera forwards, backwards and diagonally when the shift key is pressed

That one's on my personal wish list.

Hook

Hors ligne Mooncabbage

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #49 le: 11 janvier 2010, 23:24:52 pm »

That one's on my personal wish list.

Hook

Ahhh, I misread this. Yes I think that would be a good addition to the current system. You know TW has 3 different camera systems to choose from, "RTS Camera, TW Camera, General Camera" although general camera was dropped in ETW, shamefully in my view. Regardless, I can see LG doing a similar thing... LG camera, TW camera, General camera (With a telescope :D)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #50 le: 11 janvier 2010, 23:47:08 pm »
Given the way the camera controls work, I can see the game being controlled with an actual joystick, which is possibly why they're designed that way.  Given the number of reconfigurable buttons on my joystick, I could do everything with it.  Unfortunately, I can't use it right now.

Do some laptops have a mini joystick that controls the mouse?

Hook

Hors ligne Mooncabbage

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #51 le: 12 janvier 2010, 00:00:48 am »
Do some laptops have a mini joystick that controls the mouse?

Yes, although not often these days, touchpads are now the rule. However even when they did have them, they did not function very well as joysticks. Personally I miss them, they were much easier to use, in my mind, than the touchpads where you have to keep scrolling and scrolling with your fingers. Much better to just push it in one direction till it gets where you want it to be.

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
« Réponse #52 le: 12 janvier 2010, 05:21:02 am »
Nothing wrong with healthy debate. You make a point, and you expect to have the subject dropped. IF you make a point, and I disagree with it, expect me to point out why, and not simply walk away just because you've said it. Who knows, you might convince me your point is right.

I've never seen the current mouse system used out side The Sims, and even then I believe they use mouse to edge of screen now. And the sims isn't even really a sim :P

Secondly, I am not arguing that a certain system be used JUST because it's in TW. I'm arguing that it should be used because really, it's been proven to work very well. On top of which, it is my perception that a large portion of the game's audience ARE actually TW players. Atleast from the number of active community members I reckognise.

Lastly, I am not DEMANDING changes. Perhaps other have, but I have not. I have simply argued the merits of a particular point of view. This debate seems to have gotten entirely personal, when it really has no right to be. I haven't insulted anyone, or given undue criticism.

Bonjour Messieurs,

http://www.histwar.com/forum/index.php/topic,3136.msg45009.html#new

G'day mate! Here's the rub: I don't want to have to put anyone on report .... especially GRENADIERS (Ya'll should know better!) .... but, duelling IS NOT TOLERATED 'round  here ....  :|

And that includes CHALLENGES .... it takes 2 to Tango and I will get everybody involved .... :evil:

So, let's all be nice and we'll all have a goodtime  .... whatta' ya' say? ....  :?

Cordialement, DoE  :)

« Modifié: 12 janvier 2010, 05:25:25 am par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne Mooncabbage

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Re : Is this still in development?
« Réponse #53 le: 12 janvier 2010, 07:26:15 am »
Bonjour Messieurs,

http://www.histwar.com/forum/index.php/topic,3136.msg45009.html#new

G'day mate! Here's the rub: I don't want to have to put anyone on report .... especially GRENADIERS (Ya'll should know better!) .... but, duelling IS NOT TOLERATED 'round  here ....  :|

And that includes CHALLENGES .... it takes 2 to Tango and I will get everybody involved .... :evil:

So, let's all be nice and we'll all have a goodtime  .... whatta' ya' say? ....  :?

Cordialement, DoE  :)

I was specifically trying to avoid "dueling" as it's not to my tastes :P

Hors ligne Duke of Earl

• Duc d’Earl
  • Général de Brigade
  • Duc d'Friedland
Re : Re : Re : Re : Is this still in development?
« Réponse #54 le: 12 janvier 2010, 07:32:02 am »
I was specifically trying to avoid "dueling" as it's not to my tastes :P

Bonjour Mooncabbage,

I took that into consideration mate .... just don't go over the edge ..... and that goes for EVERYONE equally .... I don't play favorites ....  :|

'Nuff said ... let's move on .....  :)

Cordialement, DoE
« Modifié: 12 janvier 2010, 07:34:59 am par Duke of Earl »