Auteur Sujet: cavalary-recon too slow?  (Lu 3369 fois)

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
cavalary-recon too slow?
« le: 07 janvier 2010, 17:26:01 pm »
When I create an recon-order for cavalary and for infantry in 2D-view the time for execution i(shown near the arrow) is exactly the same. Shouldn't the cavalary be faster?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : cavalary-recon too slow?
« Réponse #1 le: 07 janvier 2010, 17:42:12 pm »
As far as I know, the time display is for infantry marching in both cases.  Cavalry will be faster.  Might be useful to have a different time display if the order is to cavalry.

Hook

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #2 le: 08 janvier 2010, 12:23:13 pm »
When I create an recon-order for cavalary and for infantry in 2D-view the time for execution i(shown near the arrow) is exactly the same. Shouldn't the cavalary be faster?

A cavalry unit doesn't do a recon at charge pace. First, it sends pelotons on flanks and front to search woods, villages and every place that can hide ennemy cavalry or where the ground can be to difficult for cavalry to make progress. When flankers say that's ok, the main part move cautiously to a position where they can observe. Then, as soon as the recon commander wants to leave the observed ground compartment for a new one, the above process is repeated and so on. And the general has to wait the recon to be back to be informed. As recon are not made by armorder cars, planes or motorcycles and as there no radio, it used to take much time to be released.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Re: cavalary-recon too slow?
« Réponse #3 le: 08 janvier 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
Damn!  I'm so used to 'borg spotting' in Combat Mission games where you send lots of scouts out who instantly telepathically send back their sightings.  It's not going to work anymore????
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 08 janvier 2010, 13:05:41 pm »
Good heavens.  :)

I think a simple answer might be, cut the infantry march time in half and round up if you're timing a cavalry movement.

Hook

Hors ligne oho

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #5 le: 09 janvier 2010, 18:25:07 pm »
lodi: I was just wondering why Infantry is as fast as cavalary - also infantry must make the precaucions you described. I hope it is just a problem for the planning 2D phase if I understood Hood correctly.

Hors ligne quartermaster

• Officier HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #6 le: 09 janvier 2010, 23:36:04 pm »
From a historical perspective cavalry can retreat from a recce mission faster than infantry.  Cavalry could also make a fast and agressive recce (chaussers at Auerstadt for example).

My understanding of the historical doctrine is that patrols would be sent out having a squadron kept in reserve to provide protection if these patrols has to retreat in a hurry.

A cautious probing recce would of course be a fairly slow affair.

Also remember that cavalry used a mixture of walk and trot for normal movement rather than galloping all the time.

Hors ligne quartermaster

• Officier HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #7 le: 09 janvier 2010, 23:47:51 pm »
One more snippet.  There may have been some forms of signalling used to convey information which would have been confirmed by written or verbal reports.

Crauford's cavalry outposts in the Peninsula would react to observing the advance of a French force by circling before retreating.  Clockwise circling would indicate advancing infantry, counterclockwise indicating cavalry (working from memory on this so apologies if I have this the wrong way round).  An advance by a force of all arms would be signalled by two groups circling, one clockwise, the other anticlockwise).

HQ would observe this and as a result the main body of the Light Division would be prepared to react and heavy transport could be sent off to the rear in good time.

I suspect other armies had techniques for conveying information by visible signals.  Just simply observing that the support squadron was able to move forwards would indicate no enemy within close proximity.