Auteur Sujet: Question about Order Lines ("Defend", etc)  (Lu 3459 fois)

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
Question about Order Lines ("Defend", etc)
« le: 06 janvier 2010, 19:45:24 pm »
I have been noticing that the orders that I give on the map are never where they end up after I click "send".  The problem is that they are generally ending up closer to the enemy, as well as sometimes not taking advantage of the terrain I wish the corps to utilize.  I am wondering what is going on with this- is it FoW (I would hope not, as it is consistently just ahead of where my orders are, not random), a bug or something else entirely.

The screenshot below is a layering of 3 images- the order I have drawn, the specifics of the order, and then where the line ends up after sending the order.

Hors ligne JCM101

• Capitaine
Re : Question about Order Lines ("Defend", etc)
« Réponse #1 le: 06 janvier 2010, 19:55:29 pm »
I noticed that my units did the same with ref to the position of that stream.  I wonder if it's the stream/water  that is relevant?
I also saw that the enemy decided to deploy a corps up to their waists in swamp - a bit strange.

Maybe the officers like their men placed so they don't feel they can retreat too quickly...

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #2 le: 06 janvier 2010, 20:13:42 pm »
I just tested it away from water, and it's still not lining up with where I am placing it.  Not sure what is happening. 

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #3 le: 06 janvier 2010, 20:15:46 pm »
I have been noticing that the orders that I give on the map are never where they end up after I click "send".  The problem is that they are generally ending up closer to the enemy, as well as sometimes not taking advantage of the terrain I wish the corps to utilize.  I am wondering what is going on with this- is it FoW (I would hope not, as it is consistently just ahead of where my orders are, not random), a bug or something else entirely.
This is no bug at all... A Corps would never be deployed in one straight line...each Corps commander issued orders, where the units would be best positioned in order to hold that line. i.e. if a Commander was ordered to hold a certain village, he would always place several units in front of that village so that the enemy would already be engaged before he even reached his objective, and to always be able to bring up reserves...if he only defended the village he might lose it in the first attack and then would have to recapture it...with units already used as a "break water" he would have enough time to reorganize and maybe even attempt a counterattack to stop the attack entirely with the defences of his objective to hold completely untouched...
« Modifié: 06 janvier 2010, 20:18:04 pm par Count von Csollich »
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #4 le: 06 janvier 2010, 20:20:09 pm »
you could observe this best if you would give the order to a French corps in the demo to defend the village on the french right wing... you'll see that the Corps commander uses the terrain perfectly to place his artillery, his infantry up front, in the village and behind and his cavalry as support...
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #5 le: 06 janvier 2010, 21:02:29 pm »
That makes sense.  I expected the line placed would be the "center of gravity" for the corps.