Auteur Sujet: Waypoints & Commands  (Lu 6227 fois)

Hors ligne chops

• Lieutenant
Waypoints & Commands
« le: 05 janvier 2010, 22:00:24 pm »
Will the ability to add multiple waypoints and/or multiple commands for units be in the final version?

For example, march to point A, then go around forest to point B, then change formation from column to line.

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
Re : Waypoints & Commands
« Réponse #1 le: 05 janvier 2010, 22:16:06 pm »
Chops, I think you can string orders together in the demo.  Give a "deploy on line" order to a given corps, then repeat the same order, moving the time up an hour or so (depending on the length of time it took to get to original destination).  I believe you could do a "deploy" and then a "defend" order at another location for example.

Hors ligne Barbaronzon

• Caporal
Re : Re : Waypoints & Commands
« Réponse #2 le: 06 janvier 2010, 10:38:42 am »
Chops, I think you can string orders together in the demo.  Give a "deploy on line" order to a given corps, then repeat the same order, moving the time up an hour or so (depending on the length of time it took to get to original destination).  I believe you could do a "deploy" and then a "defend" order at another location for example.

I think the idea here is to have a route for the march order for example without going through the process of delayed orders. Like tell the corp march to location A over waypoint 1, 2, 3 etc... and then defend line B and at x:xx attack position C. Sometimes the straight line to a destination is not always the best :D

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 06 janvier 2010, 10:54:22 am »
I think having waypoint orders would be good, but it might likely be difficult to implement.  For example, what happens if you run into the enemy somewhere along the line?

This might work if you could give a deployment order, then give another order and have an option to execute it at the end of the first order without worrying about times or how long the first order took to execute.  If this is already in the game, I haven't seen it.

Edit:  see below.  Thanks lodi57!

"Modify the first line" now reads "Modify the front line" because what it's really asking is if the AI can replace units from the original front line with fresh units if necessary.

Hook
« Modifié: 06 janvier 2010, 13:29:05 pm par Hook »

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 06 janvier 2010, 11:24:37 am »
Well, forget about waypoints like in WW2 games (for army corps, I mean) because army corps are massive formations that needs to be organized (and keep this organization when moving) taking into account their width and depth. Sure, they can change their direction but it takes a lot of time to do because you cannot tell 15 000 men to turn quickly while keeping their organization in good order. So if you want a corp to go to point A, you will have to order what is the organization, units formation, when it must go and the attitude it must have at the end of its move (as in real life).
For example : you want Ney corp to go to point A as fast as possible then to deploy on point B and then create a diversion on point C. You can do this in one time : "march order" to A, when on the spot 5 min rest (delay) then begin deploy move on point B, when deploy 5 min (or more) delay then begin diversion attack on C. You can see that in one time you can give 3 different orders (that you can change at anytime) in any direction you want. But keep in mind that every change of direction will take a lot of time and may provoke some confusion in organization and, please, forget about trying to move army corps as tanks or WW2 squads  ;).
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #5 le: 06 janvier 2010, 11:30:14 am »
For example : you want Ney corp to go to point A as fast as possible then to deploy on point B and then create a diversion on point C. You can do this in one time : "march order" to A, when on the spot 5 min rest (delay) then begin deploy move on point B, when deploy 5 min (or more) delay then begin diversion attack on C. You can see that in one time you can give 3 different orders (that you can change at anytime) in any direction you want.

I'm confused.
That's still three orders in succession, isn't it?
Or is there a way to give one complex order as you describe?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #6 le: 06 janvier 2010, 11:45:37 am »
Ok, here it is from the manual, hot off the editing process:

Instead of specifying a time of execution, an order can specify a waiting period, which will delay the implementation of the new order for a pre-determined period.

Does this mean I can give a second order with a short waiting period, and it will be executed after the first order is done, plus that waiting period?  That's what it sounds like.

Real life:  This was in a training exercise, but once we had the assistant division commander using our brigade tactical operations center to command the division after the division tactical operations center was "knocked out".  At one point he ordered the entire division to make a 90 degree turn to the right.  This was considered highly unusual by the sergeant in charge of brigade operations, and it took considerable planning and organization.  I got to see first-hand that "There is nothing so much like God on earth as a general on a battlefield."

You might want to keep your plans simple.  If you get to a waypoint and there are enemy there, it's possible to lose an entire corps.  Keep the turns somewhat less than 90 degrees. :)

Hook

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #7 le: 06 janvier 2010, 13:15:01 pm »
Does this mean I can give a second order with a short waiting period, and it will be executed after the first order is done, plus that waiting period? 

Right, you can also give a third, a forth or fifth order if you like, as well.

“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Waypoints & Commands
« Réponse #8 le: 06 janvier 2010, 13:39:50 pm »
That's still three orders in succession, isn't it? Or is there a way to give one complex order as you describe?

It is like sending one aide de camp with one message including three orders.
So in LG, you can send to the same corp, one AdC with one order (deploy on sector A) or one AdC wiht several orders (march to sector A then deploy on sector B then defend on sector C and then at x hour create a diversion in sector D) with a resting time between each order (from 5 min to 1 hour as you want).

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #9 le: 06 janvier 2010, 14:15:33 pm »
As I understand it  in the demo you can issue a sequence of orders, which trace a path, at once; as long as each order has a 'time of issue' later than the previous order (eg 08H 01M, 08H 02M etc) the second order then is implemented imediately after the first has been executed if no time delay is requested. The time signature of the order is the time of issue and not the time at which the order has to be acted on! So the  08H02M order may be acted on some hours later if it takes that time to reach the end point of the first order. When issuing all the orders you will define the final deploy line or move locations for each order in the normal way  (ie you are defining the end point of the first order and the end point of the second order :the AI realises that the start point for the second order will be the end point of the first and not the current location). In this way a trajectory through the terrain can be defined at the begining of the movement (see pg 26 of manual 'marching on a sector')
« Modifié: 06 janvier 2010, 14:24:07 pm par nix »

Hors ligne Barbaronzon

• Caporal
« Réponse #10 le: 08 janvier 2010, 05:22:21 am »
I think having waypoint orders would be good, but it might likely be difficult to implement.  For example, what happens if you run into the enemy somewhere along the line?

Isn't this the same as when the corps spot an enemy right now if it has a marching order and the enemy is hidden by the fog of war ? I would hope my corps commander does something smart...  like check if he can over come the blocking force resonable well, and if not deploy a defence and wait for new orders. With command delay and everything on grognards level it would be hard for me to react in time.

Actually this seems to happen at least decently in the demo. I played the mont. battle and tried to get 2 corps past the enemy flanks with a move order...  while a 3rd corps was holding the enemy on that flank with a def. line.

An enemy corps poped up that I could not see from reports and it seemed like the leading corps mounted at least a decent looking attack.

One thing i noticed though i tried to give moment orders with a time delay and it seems like 2 of my move orders somehow got consolidated into one and the corps took a different path then I expected. So instead of hitting the the unit that poped up in the flank witch would have been nice it was a head on combat.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Waypoints & Commands
« Réponse #11 le: 08 janvier 2010, 05:48:52 am »
Isn't this the same as when the corps spot an enemy right now if it has a marching order and the enemy is hidden by the fog of war ? I would hope my corps commander does something smart...  like check if he can over come the blocking force resonable well, and if not deploy a defence and wait for new orders. With command delay and everything on grognards level it would be hard for me to react in time.

The corps commanders are pretty good about reacting to threats.  They have no problems handling an unforeseen enemy corps in their path.  The problem happens when you change directions and end up with an enemy on your flank. 

At least the "time of execution" set to "delay" works.  You can give waypoint orders.  Whether they'll be carried out the way you want is another story.

You know how it is.  No plan survives contact with the enemy. :)

Hook