Auteur Sujet: Where am I? Confusion about unit location in 3d view  (Lu 4141 fois)

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
Where am I? Confusion about unit location in 3d view
« le: 02 janvier 2010, 13:30:37 pm »
I am enjoying playing the demo but i find that in the lager actions, such as the Montebello scenario, in the heat of the  action it is hard to remember the geographical location of the units seen on screen in the 3D (F3 or F5 or F6) mode. (this is particularly true if  i'm using F6 view and PgUp/PgDown keys to flip through the units. I propose a simple navigation aide which would greatly help (apologies if this has already been thought of): When the cursor rolls over a unit in the 3d view if in addition to the Corps card in the UI geting a tick and the unit card in the Ui getting a tick there could be an indicator on the mini map such as the Corps flag to which the unit belongs enlarging or flashing  or else the exact location of the unit in question being denoted by an x it would make using the 3d view much clearer....

(By the way I only just realised that provided the cursor is not moved between the flip from the 2d view (F2) to the 3d view (F3) then the  cursor in the 3d view is in the same location as it was on the 2d map which greatly helps in the navigation and identification of specific units locations...)
« Modifié: 02 janvier 2010, 15:17:14 pm par nix »

Hors ligne ThomasJay

• Soldat
Re : Where am I? Confusion about unit location in 3d view
« Réponse #1 le: 02 janvier 2010, 17:18:58 pm »
I see a little 'cone of vision' on the mini map that indicates where I am and what direction the camera is looking. Maybe you can try adjusting your gamma setting if it's not visible.

One thing I thought while playing yesterday would be nice would be if when you see a corp or unit card flashing in the ui, to be able to click on it and go to their location.

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #2 le: 02 janvier 2010, 19:42:10 pm »
You can do that! Double right click on the card in the UI, it is a bit temperamental though and seems to be sensitive to the delay between the clicks!

(note added later: single right click works but it is more like a click-hold-release)

Thanks for the reminder about the 'cone of vision' on the mini map, it does indeed indicate the location of the unit under the cursor in 3d mode, but it is sometimes difficult to see the cone when there are several corps deployed on the map and are crowded together as occurs in the montebello scenario. I think it would still be useful to have an indication of which corps flag is the corps to which the unit belongs at a glance so as to see how far the unit has wandered away from its commander.
« Modifié: 03 janvier 2010, 12:19:01 pm par nix »

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #3 le: 03 janvier 2010, 11:22:45 am »
My wish for simple UI improvement to assist orientation/navigation in 3d modes:

Whenever the corps card has a tick (in the central part of the UI in 3d mode) the associated corps flag in the UI minimap identifies itself somehow (gets larger or flashes etc).

second wish (slightly less important) an x appears in the minimap in the location of the individual unit which has a tick in the units card on the Ui. (Thus the minimap would show corps flag and unit location at a glance and you would see how far seperated the unit is from its commander on the minimap).

Why?:

In the 3d view if you place the cursor over the flag of a corps commander in the UI minimap the info panel tells us which corps it is. The cursor can then be moved to the appropriate corps card (helpfully aranged in numerical order) to display its component units  Thus it is easy to answer the question 'What corps is in this position?' without having to move the camera to the corps location.

However,

if you want to know 'Where is corps x?' without moving the camera to its location you have to search the minimap with the cursor. It would be better if placing the cursor on the corps card caused the associated flag on the minimap to identify itself.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #4 le: 03 janvier 2010, 12:20:39 pm »
Done...
On the minimap:

Yellow marker for the Chief of Corps.
Red marker for the unit.

The marker follows the rules of the fog of war, so maybe it's not at the good location.

JMM

Hors ligne Franciscus

• Colonel
Re : Re : Where am I? Confusion about unit location in 3d view
« Réponse #5 le: 03 janvier 2010, 14:27:30 pm »
Done...
On the minimap:

Yellow marker for the Chief of Corps.
Red marker for the unit.

The marker follows the rules of the fog of war, so maybe it's not at the good location.

JMM

Thank you. I think that will help tremenduosly !!  :D

Hors ligne Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
« Réponse #6 le: 03 janvier 2010, 15:29:27 pm »
thx JMM, The mini-map will me more useful.

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #7 le: 03 janvier 2010, 20:04:14 pm »
 :D Wow that was quick! Thanks for implementing that!