Auteur Sujet: About Manual and Tutorial  (Lu 18525 fois)

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
About Manual and Tutorial
« le: 13 février 2003, 15:17:23 pm »
Hello,

You have LGAA...
Can you talk about his tutorial and his manual...

You can write all remarks about these two parts...
It's very important to get a lot of informations to increase the quality of these texts for the next version...

Cordialement
JMM

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #1 le: 21 mars 2004, 19:23:20 pm »
Hello JMM!

I have not played the tutorial for LGAA on my PC. For some odd reason the 3D mode won't initialize. So I don't have an opinion on the LGAA tutorial. Anyways I have given below my views on how a tutorial for Les Grognards should look like.

I believe that the tutorial should serve the following two purposes:

*It should allow a seasoned Napoleonics gamer to learn the game mechanics quickly and plunge into the fray pretty fast.

*It should give a gentle introduction to the Napoleonic wargaming system to a novice gamer so that more devotees flock to our creed.

So without further ado, here are the tutorial scenario listings that one needs in my opinion:

Infantry

1. Command of an infantry brigade under AI control.
The 2D screen comes up. A pop-up screen comes up explaining the composition of the 2 regiments in the infantry brigade.

The screen asks the user to click the appropriate button to activate the AI. The corresponding button on the UI should change colour and flash.

Once the AI control is selected by the user, another pop-up screen should come up explaining about the following choices :

Formation commands : Attack column or line of battle

Movement commands : Deployment, diversion, march etc.

Brigade reserve : Percentage of reserve etc

It should clearly explain how to make the infantry brigade execute the movement and attack the enemy, assumed to be an Austrian infantry brigade.

(Just to make the matters easy for the beginners, one could let the 1st and the 2nd battalion of the Grenadiers of the Guard attack a brigade of Austrian Landwehr, he, he!)

The same attack under manual control.

This time clear instructions for moving one regiment ahead for a frontal pinning attack. The other regiment is commanded to execute a flanking movement using the waypoints set up by the user.

More scenarios coming up soon.

Best Regards
Cuirassier

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #2 le: 21 mars 2004, 23:17:41 pm »
Hello Cuirassier,

Very good contribution...
There were 4 important chapters in LGAA Tutorial:
a) presentation of GUI
b) army order (tactical plan..
c) corps order (mouvement of unit...)
d) unitt order (organisation...)

I think it's not a good way.. beacause the first was the more difficult (maybe no difficult, but new...)

For this new tutorial, I am beginning with the most easy...
Order to an unit ... (move, formation...)
Second step : order to a small corps ... (deploy...)
Third step : order to an army...
Four step : learning interface.. (why in the last step.. I hope this new GUI is very friendly!) hovewer there are a lot of informations and I have to show all.

What do you think about this... :?:

Your scenario is for the step 2... and I can use it  8)
I have to split this tutorial in 2 parts (2a and 2b) ... with or without AI.

I am waiting for your next tutorial.

Best Regards, JMM

PS : I would like to say there are only 3 levels (and 3 AI):
1/ great tactical level : orders to corps, (AI 1)
2/ tactical level : order to regiment, (AI 2)
3/ regimental level : formation...

The OoB edit allows to define 3 levels:
1/ a Commander in Chief (you or the AI1)
2/ the Commander of Corps (sometimes you or AI2)
3/ the regiment (or brigade) (sometimes you or AI3)

So, If you define an army like that:

ARMY
Level Corps ------------------------------------------Level Regiment
----Corps C1----Divsion D11----Brigade B111----Regiment R1111 R1112
----Corps C1----Divsion D11----Brigade B112----Regiment R1121 R1122
----Corps C1     Divsion D21     Brigade B121    Regiment R1211 R1212
----Corps C1     Divsion D21     Brigade B122    Regiment R1221 R1222

Level Corps----------------------- Level Regiment
----Divsion D3----Brigade B31---Regiment R311 R312
----Divsion D3----Brigade B32---Regiment R321 R322

Level Corps-------Level Regiment
----Brigade B4----Regiment R41 R42

You can send orders to:
Corps C1 and his regiments R1111, R1112, R1121, R1122
Division D3 and his regiments R311, R312, R321 and R322...
Brigade B4 and his regiments R41, R42

You can't send any order to D11, D21, B111, B112, B121, B122
neither to B31, B32..

I hope it's clear...

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #3 le: 22 mars 2004, 12:50:35 pm »
Bonjour,

I think that the tutorial in LGAA was quite cumbersome perhaps because you tried to explain the user interface.

In my opinion the GUI should be self-instructive.
Most people are familiar with MS Windows and MS Explorer so if the operations could be similar to them then I think much will be won.

Icons should be clearly associated to what they do and/or a help text that pops up for each of them.

Another thing with the LGAA tutorial I remember was that it was difficult to follow the movements since you had to read the explanations at the same time. I think it would be a good idea to have a speaker voice to complement the text. For the English version of the voice I think that it would be a nice touch if it could be with a French accent to give it a true Napoleonic feeling.  8)  Why not record your own voice JMM?  :idea:

In order to give some more concrete suggestions I have to take another look at the beta version of the new GUI.

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #4 le: 22 mars 2004, 19:24:16 pm »
Why not record your own voice JMM?  :idea:

/Lars L.

:lol:  :lol: It's a good idea.... but I am not sure you can understand my explanation... :lol:

BUT  :idea: Do you want to record the tutorial with your native langage... I am sure there are a lot of people who will like this.

Les Grognards in swedish by Lars... Very Good Idea :wink:

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #5 le: 22 mars 2004, 19:54:03 pm »
Citation de: "JMM"

:lol:  :lol: It's a good idea.... but I am not sure you can understand my explanation... :lol:

:D No problem, you just let Fréderic translate your manuscript. You don't have to understand it to read it.  :lol:  

BUT  :idea: Do you want to record the tutorial with your native langage... I am sure there are a lot of people who will like this.

Les Grognards in swedish by Lars... Very Good Idea :wink:

:lol: It would probably be overkill since I would be the only one to use it at least judging by the number of Swedes on this forum. It's only me what I know of. Besides I would not like to listen to my own voice. Plus I don't have any recording facilities.  :roll:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #6 le: 22 mars 2004, 22:02:16 pm »

For this new tutorial, I am beginning with the most easy...
Order to an unit ... (move, formation...)
Second step : order to a small corps ... (deploy...)
Third step : order to an army...
Four step : learning interface.. (why in the last step.. I hope this new GUI is very friendly!) hovewer there are a lot of informations and I have to show all.

Your scenario is for the step 2... and I can use it  
I am waiting for your next tutorial.

Best Regards, JMM

Hello JMM!
In that case let me change my first tutorial scenario.

Voice acting would be great to guide the player along. But considering the time and energy it takes to integrate good voice tracks into a tutorial it might be too costly. I sincerely believe that with clever guidance using pop-up screens and flashing GUI buttons, a tutorial even without voice acting could go a long way.

I would assume that anybody who buys Les Grognards would be primarily interested in moving the troops on the battlefield and thrashing the enemy. The initial scenarios should have the sole aim of getting the player up to speed on these two facets of troop control: moving and attacking. I would go so far as to say that in the initial scenarios, any GUI buttons / panels not going to be used in the scenario should not even be drawn on the screen!

Tutorial #1 :
A regiment of Old Guard Foot Grenadiers attacks a regiment of Austrian Landwehr.

Even with a novice player the result is pretty much decided and thus gives a morale boost to a new player who could fumble with the game mechanics a bit.

I would strongly suggest that the scenario starts in the 3D mode straightaway.

A pop-up screen asks the user to click the designated button to select the regiment. The appropriate button on the UI should flash and /or change colour. Once the user has selected the regiment, another pop-up screen asks the user to select the LINE formation for the regiment. (Let us assume that we are going to firefight with the enemy.)
Once line formation has been selected, another pop-up screen asks the user to move the regiment close to the enemy and engage it by firefight.  The appropriate buttons should flash and the user should be guided through the steps by text boxes that inform him about the progress of the battle.

For  example :

-a text box that tells the user that the range (between the player regiment and the enemy regiment) is now 120 yards and that the firefight would begin soon.
-another text box that tells the user midway through the firefight about the morale for the player regiment and the enemy regiment.

Let us say that the Austrians have had a bellyful and are wavering. A text box should come up to point this fact to the player. Another pop-up screen now tells the user to put the Guard regiment in attack column formation (colonne de division). The correct formation button flashes. Once the user has selected the column formation for the Guardsmen, another pop-up tells the player how to give the charge command. The correct button flashes and after the player has ordered the bayonet charge the Guard regiment rushes in with the cold steel.  

The above scenario is for manual control. The same could be repeated, this time with AI control.

Tutorial #2 :
Command of an infantry brigade under AI control.

The 2D screen comes up. A pop-up screen comes up explaining the composition of the 2 regiments in the infantry brigade.

The screen asks the user to click the appropriate button to activate the AI. The corresponding button on the UI should change colour and flash.

Once the AI control is selected by the user, another pop-up screen should come up explaining about the following choices:

Formation commands : Attack column or line of battle.

Organization commands : Brigades in line abreast or one after another.

Movement commands : Deployment, diversion, march etc.

Brigade reserve : Percentage of reserve etc.

It should clearly explain how to make the infantry brigade execute the movement and attack the enemy, assumed to be an Austrian infantry brigade.

(Just to make the matters easy for the beginners, one could let the 1st and the 2nd battalion of the Grenadiers of the Guard attack a brigade of Austrian Landwehr!)

The same attack under manual control.

This time clear instructions for moving one regiment ahead for a frontal pinning attack. The other regiment is commanded to execute a flanking movement using the waypoints set up by the user.

Tutorial #3 :
Command of an infantry division under AI control with a company of foot artillery in support.

Clear explanation of the following commands:

Formation commands: Attack column or line of battle.

Organization commands: Left flank refused, right flank refused, checker board etc

Movement commands: Deployment, diversion, march etc.

Divisional reserve: Percentage of reserve etc.

The opposing enemy formation should be much stronger than the player’s division but should not have arty support. This would let the AI halt the division out of enemy’s musket range and let the arty soften up the enemy a bit.

The same scenario under player control. But this time with clear instructions to deploy the arty coy in front of the player division so that the enemy division could be softened up a bit before we close in.

Cavalry and combined arms scenarios coming up soon.

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #7 le: 22 mars 2004, 22:36:46 pm »
Tutorial #4 :
Command of a cavalry regiment.

Chasseurs a Cheval de la Garde (hope I got that right!) attacks a regiment of Austrian Hussars.

I would strongly suggest that the scenario starts in the 3D mode straightaway. (We don’t want to miss out the pageantry of the Guard Chasseurs and the Hussars, do we?)

A pop-up screen asks the user to click the designated button to select the regiment. The appropriate button on the UI should flash and /or change colour. Once the user has selected the regiment, another pop-up screen asks the user to select the LINE formation for the regiment. Once line formation has been selected, another pop-up screen asks the user to move the regiment close to the enemy and charge.  The appropriate buttons should flash and the user should be guided through the steps by text boxes that inform him about the progress of the battle.

For  example :

-a text box that tells the user that the range (between the player regiment and the enemy regiment) is now 100 yards and that the charge could not now be called back.
-another text box that tells the user midway through the firefight about the morale for the player regiment and the enemy regiment.

The above scenario is for manual control. The same could be repeated, this time with AI control.

Tutorial #5 :
Combined arms tactics: command of an all-arms corps.

Just for kicks let us say that the Guard Corps is going in with a division of the Guard Grenadiers and a division of Guard Chasseurs. Say that the guard light cavalry is supporting the advance of the infantry corps. Assume that the Guard Chasseurs have a company of Volante (Guard Horse Artillery) attached for fire support. Say that the Horse Grenadiers are held behind the infantry as the cavalry reserve.

The enemy units consist of two divisions of Austrian infantry supported by a company of 12 pounders foot artillery. A regiment of chevaux-legers is in close support.

The first variant is under manual control.

The player orders the Guard Light Cavalry to charge home and rout the Austrian horse off the field. After this the troublesome 12 pounders are silenced. By this time the Guard Chasseurs have suffered heavy casualties and are being called back to reform behind the advancing infantry.

The Horse Grenadiers are unleashed now and they, after a feigned charge, put the first infantry division into juicy squares. The horse artillery takes care of the immobile squares while the Foot Chasseurs division engages the other Austrian division. The Foot Grenadiers are being held as the ultimate reserve.

Once the enemy starts wavering, the infantry and the cavalry go in with the cold steel.

The same scenario could be played out using AI control.

Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #8 le: 22 mars 2004, 22:41:52 pm »
Good work  :!:

I keep these 3 scenari... nice :wink:
You are the Tutorial Level Designer Senior  :arrow:

I have to say I like this process  :arrow: and I am waiting the other scenari...

News:

I am working on the database during these last 4 days...
A lot of time to get very historical datas...

And I don't forget Messieur Rush who sent me a lot of informations about French, Russian and Austrian Armies...

figure of units > 1050
figure of Chiefs: 1564
figure of french colonels : 1107
figure of austrian colonels : 267
figure of russian colonels : 753 (my last figure was wrong.. >900  :oops: )

For each commander : rank, branch, charisme, efficiency, year of death (for the most important)
For each colonel : year and regiment of attachment.

For each unit : raised in year, disbanded in year, mean figures : battalion/coy/soldier per coy, efficiency for 3 periods (ie France before 1812/1812/after1812, type, uniform, color.

Thank you Rush.

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
« Réponse #9 le: 23 mars 2004, 10:02:45 am »
Hi Cuirassier,

I like your tutorials. Good work indeed!  :)

However I'm surprised that you don't have Cuirassiers as the cavalry regiment.  :wink:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #10 le: 24 mars 2004, 00:32:00 am »
Tutorial #6 :
Special situation: attacking an enemy inside a fortified building.

A regiment of French infantry from Molitor’s division is holding the Aspern church. They have fortified the building with barricades and loopholes. A brigade of Austrian regulars is assaulting the church with the support of a company of 12 pounders.

The guns and the howitzers pound the church to soften up the defenders.
(JMM, does Les Grognards arty model differentiate between cannons and howitzers?)

The brigade deploys its jaeger companies forward. Covered by the skirmishers, it assaults the building in attack column formation and carries it by cold steel.

Tutorial #7 :
Special situation: attacking an enemy inside a forest.

A grenzer regiment holds a wood that the French absolutely must take back. Massena orders a line infantry regiment to flush out the grenzers. Not having extensive training in open order tactics, the line regiment falls back disoriented. Massena then selects a special force for a special job ; the 13th Legere is called in. The elite light infantry regiment goes in and smokes out the grenzers.

(JMM, what is the difference between a light and a line regiment in the game? I have assumed that a light regiment would be inherently much better than a line regiment in attacking a wood. Is this correct in the game?)  

Best Regards,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #11 le: 24 mars 2004, 00:34:50 am »
Citation de: "Link"
Hi Cuirassier,

I like your tutorials. Good work indeed!  :)

However I'm surprised that you don't have Cuirassiers as the cavalry regiment.  :wink:

/Lars L.

Link, heisann!

I have a weakness for the uniforms of the Guard Chasseurs. I am sure that I could conjure up a scenario with a division of cuirassiers with Murat leading with a whip in hand!

Hilsen,
Cuirassier

Hors ligne Cuirassier

• Grognard
  • Caporal
« Réponse #12 le: 24 mars 2004, 01:46:53 am »
JMM, hei!

A good number of the gamers buying Les Grognards would have had some introduction to Napoleonic Wargaming. But a significant number of the buyers (one hopes) would have no background in Napoleonic tactics (people who come from other games like Cossacks, Medieval Total War, Age of Empires etc)

A novice could be intimidated by the sheer variety and the descriptions of the troop types and I thought that the following primer on the Napoleonic infantry, cavalry and artillery would give them a gentle introduction in the manual. I have concentrated on the French Army for starters.

Infantry:
An average Napoleonic battalion had six companies of 100 to 120 muskets each. A regiment usually had 2 battalions, sometimes three. A brigade was composed of 2 regiments and a division normally had 2 brigades. Variations always existed but this would suffice for a starting point.

In Les Grognards, individual battalions are not modeled. The basic unit of movement and fighting for the infantry is a regiment.

Each battalion had a picked company of agile sharpshooters (specially trained) called the voltigeur company or the light company in English. This company of skirmishers from each battalion would form in loose order (called skirmish formation or open order formation) well ahead of the infantry battalion and dart forward towards the enemy. Their function is to whittle down the enemy battalions with well-aimed fire (often directed at officers and NCOs). Their secondary task was to screen the parent battalion that would be approaching for the main firefight.

Primary weapon: Musket or rifle. Muskets were faster to reload than rifles but were inaccurate and lacked range. Rifles had range and accuracy but were very slow to reload.

Secondary weapon: Bayonet. Infantry could be made to charge with cold steel.

Formations:

Line of battle : The whole battalion/regiment formed either in two ranks or three ranks depending upon the nationality.

Attack column: Attack column was a formation specially favored by the French. It had a frontage of two companies. It had great ease of battlefield movement and good melee capability. But the firepower was reduced compared to a line.  

Platoon column: Same as above but with a frontage of a single company. Used mainly for bulling through an enemy line of battle. Firepower was severely reduced. This formation needed good quality troops to execute it with élan.  

Square: The square was the standard formation used by all infantry of that era against charging cavalry. It was practically invulnerable against charging horse, but was easy pickings for enemy infantry in line and especially for enemy artillery.  

Special abilities :
Grenadiers have superior melee capability.
Light infantry was deadly in broken terrain, wooded areas and built areas. And again light infantry were far better suited to skirmish tactics than line infantry as they were specially trained.

Cavalry:
Napoleonic cavalry was generally classified into light, line and heavy.
Line cavalry was sometimes termed as medium cavalry as well.
Hussars, Chasseurs a Cheval, Chevaux-Legers and Light Dragoons were the saber wielding light horse.

Lancers (or Uhlans) carried the lance. They were classified as medium cavalry.
Dragoons were armed with a straight sword and a musketon ( a shorter version of the infantry musket). Dragoons were classified as medium and were trained to fight on foot as infantry as well.

Heavies could be armored or unarmored. The celebrated Cuirassiers and Carabiniers a Cheval being the armored heavies. Heavy dragoons, Horse Grenadiers, Dragoon Guards being the unarmored heavies.  

Light cavalry acted as the ears and the eyes of the army. Scouting, outpost duty and rear area security were the traditional light cavalry duties. In pitched battles they could and did charge with their heavier brethren.

Heavy cavalry was trained for one and only purpose in the battlefield. Though ponderous with big men on huge horses, the heavy arm was trained to charge boot to boot to ride down any opposing formation, be it horse or foot.  

The basic cavalry unit of maneuver was the regiment. An average Napoleonic cavalry regiment had three squadrons of 150 sabers each. A brigade was composed of 2 regiments and a division normally had 2 brigades. Variations always existed but this would suffice for a starting point.

Primary weapon : Curved saber for the lights, lance for the lancers and straight sword for the heavies and the dragoons.

Secondary weapon: Musketon for the dragoons and the Carabiniers a Cheval, carbine for the hussars and Chasseurs a Cheval and pistols for the heavies.

Formations:
Line of battle : Two ranks deep. Cavalry almost always engaged enemy in this formation.

Attack column: Sometimes cavalry would charge in attack column formation especially when attacking an infantry square. It had a frontage of a squadron. It had great ease of battlefield movement and a solid battering ram effect. But this formation was very vulnerable to artillery.

Special abilities and limitations:

Lancers were deadly against infantry and artillery. Artillery crews especially despised them. Any gunner cowering under the wheels could be speared with ease if under a lancer attack. Against other saber armed cavalry though lancers tended to be a bit awkward, as the lance could become a bit unwieldy in close combat.

Cavalry charging steady infantry in square formation almost always got repulsed. The trick was to catch the infantry as it was undergoing the evolutions needed to form square from line or column.

And again cavalry would never successfully charge infantry in broken terrain, marshy ground or in built areas.

Sometimes cavalry issued mounted fire on command just as an infantry unit. But the DECIDING factor in a cavalry vs cavalry melee was always the cold steel. Sure the dragoons and the Carabiniers A Cheval were trained to fire a volley into the opposing lines of charging horse. But the volley was just meant to disrupt the ranks and not to decide the outcome of the engagement forthright. A decision was always forced with the cold steel.

When  two bodies of charging horse met, one side that had the lower morale would normally veer away or there would be a clash and a classic cut and thrust melee.

In either case it was the COHESION of the charging regiment that primarily decided the issue and not a puny little fusillade from a set of popgun carbines.

And against infantry, it was ridiculous for the cavalry to engage in any sustained fire fight. The range of the carbines and the musketons were definitely shorter than the standard infantry muskets. And the footsloggers could probably have reloaded at least twice as fast as the mounted men. No contest here at all!

Napoleonic artillery
Napoleonic artillery could be generally classified into foot and horse artillery. Foot gunners walked alongside the guns when moving on the battlefield. Horse gunners, to a man, rode along on their own horses, and thus the celebrated mobility of the horse artillery. It was not for nothing that horse artillery was called as flying artillery. The guns themselves were, of course, pulled by teams of horses.

Horse artillery lived and died on its fame for lighting fast maneuvers. Horse guns routinely galloped with charging cavalry to exploit any tactical situation quickly.

Artillery was classified as heavy or medium depending upon the weight of the shot that was thrown out. A myriad number of shot weights were being used by the various adversaries of that era. But 6 pounders and 12 pounders were the most common.

The basic unit of battlefield maneuver was invariably the battery. A French artillery battery consisted of 6 cannons, of which 4 were guns and the remaining 2 were howitzers.

All the guns of the Napoleonic era were of the smooth bore type and could fire round shot at a high velocity against either soft or hard targets. Howitzers fired explosive shells in a high trajectory and thus could attack targets behind a ridgeline or inside a building. Howitzers were also smooth bore.

Both guns and howitzers could fire canister (tightly packed musket balls in metallic cans) against soft targets that could be devastatingly effective under short ranges.

The max range for a 12 pounder cannon firing roundshot was around 1800 meters (5905 feet). It was a very rare gun captain that engaged the enemy at such extreme ranges. Effective ranges for a 12 pounder would be in the order of  900 meters (2953 feet)

The max range for a 12 pounder cannon firing canister was around 600 meters (1969 feet). Again effective canister ranges for a 12 pounder would be in the order of  450 meters (1476 feet)

For a typical  6 pounder cannon the ranges would be:
Roundshot max range : 1300 meters (4265 feet)
Roundshot effective range : 700 meters (2297 feet)
Canister max range : 450 meters (1476 feet)
Canister effective range : 350 meters (1148 feet)

Combined Arms Tactics:

Napoleon was a firm believer in the massed firepower of the guns. A gunner at heart and in training he observed that “it is with artillery that one makes war”. French tactics invariably favored a massed bombardment of the enemy troops prior to the grand assault. Napoleon’s adversaries initially tended to distribute artillery throughout the infantry divisions and even brigades. This scattered employment was never able to counter the ferocity of the French massed onslaught. In the later campaigns Napoleon’s adversaries learned to mass artillery into “grand batteries” of their own. Wagram and Borodino are notable examples of this.

Usually it was the relatively immobile foot artillery that was being used in the grand battery role. Horse artillery almost always galloped with the charging horse.

If the strengths of the opposing armies at the start of the battle were more or less equal, the immediate objective was to gain cavalry superiority. Because any unbroken enemy horse that was marauding in the field would severely hamper the mobility of the attacking infantry.

Provided the enemy horse was willing to engage, the infantry would march forward. For the French , it would almost always be in attack column formation (with a frontage of two companies, approximately 240 muskets wide). Cavalry would march either directly behind or on the flanks with the horse artillery galloping ahead.

Assuming that enemy infantry is met without any cavalry support nearby, all the three arms would work in unison to bring the enemy infantry down. First the supporting horse would feign a charge or in some cases actually charge. This would force the enemy infantry into square as this was the only formation that the infantry could use to defend against charging horse. But the square was terribly vulnerable against infantry or cannon fire.

Thus once the enemy infantry had been forced into square, the attacking infantry would deploy into line and start blasting off. Worse still, the compact enemy infantry square would present a juicy target for the artillery that would unleash devastating blasts of canister into the square. When the square was seen to be wavering, waiting cavalry would charge home to execute the coup de grace.

This was the theory at least. Many things could and did go wrong. A successful combined arms coordinated attack demanded very skillful timing from a commander wrestling with the battlefield control problems of the Napoleonic era.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #13 le: 24 mars 2004, 09:14:59 am »
The guns and the howitzers pound the church to soften up the defenders.
(JMM, does Les Grognards arty model differentiate between cannons and howitzers?)

4 differents cannons : 12, 8 and 4 pounds + howitzers. the howitzers may shoot shells over the friendly lines.

(JMM, what is the difference between a light and a line regiment in the game? I have assumed that a light regiment would be inherently much better than a line regiment in attacking a wood. Is this correct in the game?)  

Yes, right. An unit loses his cohesion in a wood, but the loss is more important for the line unit  :arrow: generally speaking, a light regiment is better than a line regiment... (but there are some very good line unit like 33ieme, 48ième and 57ième line regiment)

Very good tutorial again  :D
JMM

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #14 le: 24 mars 2004, 09:50:20 am »
Citation de: "Cuirassier"
JMM, hei!

A good number of the gamers buying Les Grognards would have had some introduction to Napoleonic Wargaming. But a significant number of the buyers (one hopes) would have no background in Napoleonic tactics (people who come from other games like Cossacks, Medieval Total War, Age of Empires etc)

A novice could be intimidated by the sheer variety and the descriptions of the troop types and I thought that the following primer on the Napoleonic infantry, cavalry and artillery would give them a gentle introduction in the manual. I have concentrated on the French Army for starters.  

THX for this text. It's a good help for me.

I am working about the user's manual... There are

* presentation of interface
*great tactical guide (organisation, formation (echelon, checkerboard, defensive line, artillery..) this chapter uses Clausewitz and Jomini's thoughts.
*historical armies : organisation of armies : france, russia and austria.
*summary of battles + maps + OoB : Austerlitz, Eylau...
*user's guide editors.

JMM