Auteur Sujet: Fog of War  (Lu 3094 fois)

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
Fog of War
« le: 28 décembre 2009, 01:45:57 am »
I am confused as to how fog of war is modeled in HWLG.  I am using "Grognard" FoW settings.  I see different amounts of enemy sightings when I press F2, F3 and F4.  Below is an example of what I can see when switching between the F2 and F4 when paused.  There are more enemy units "seen" in the F2 view than the F4 view. 

In F3, I can see all enemy units.  Is there a further filter that can keep the enemy units that are not seen by my units unseen by me, the player?  If not, how will multiplayer work if all enemy units can be seen in the F3 view?

Hors ligne FranzVonG

• Capitaine
Re : Fog of War
« Réponse #1 le: 28 décembre 2009, 01:51:13 am »
FoW is bugged in the demo in the F3 view.
In F2, what you are seeing as a shaded icon is the last known position of the troops (if you look at the regiment's card, you can see when you have seen it for the last time).
« Modifié: 28 décembre 2009, 01:52:57 am par FranzVonG »
Lieutenant Franz von G., Cmdr. of the Lègion du Midi, 15th Division, IV Corps, Grande Armée.

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #2 le: 28 décembre 2009, 06:15:11 am »
In F2, what you are seeing as a shaded icon is the last known position of the troops (if you look at the regiment's card, you can see when you have seen it for the last time).

Thanks.  Good to know.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Fog of War
« Réponse #3 le: 28 décembre 2009, 07:03:05 am »

Wait... it is?? :D

Actually, there is no FoW in the F3 view.  I think this is by design, as sometimes a commander could see things from his viewpoint that weren't officially reported yet by his officers.

Hook

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #4 le: 28 décembre 2009, 07:21:19 am »
I believe that should be reconsidered if multiplayer is to be on the level.  FoW should be consistent in all views.  If line of sight can be traced from the commander's viewpoint, than that resolves "commander could see things from his viewpoint that weren't officially reported yet by his officers."

How is line of sight traced in the game?  Is it a ray trace, or something more abstract?
« Modifié: 28 décembre 2009, 07:23:26 am par Formaldehyde »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #5 le: 28 décembre 2009, 07:44:07 am »
How is line of sight traced in the game?  Is it a ray trace, or something more abstract?

I don't know how sophisticated it is, but in Grognard mode the 3D viewpoint is locked to the officer you're commanding.  This was not implemented in the current demo, but will be in the next one.  The F6 view gives you just enough visibility to give simple orders on the 3D view, same as it does now.  Try the F6 view from a corps commander and tell me what you think.

Two people playing together, each commanding one side, will only see what the CinC can see with the F6 view.  If two people are on one side, one will have a corps commander and can only see what that corps commander can see from his F6 view.  I'm not sure exactly how it works if each player commands more than one corps on a side, or even if that's possible.

Hook

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #6 le: 28 décembre 2009, 07:57:10 am »
Interesting.  Looking forward to the next demo/full release to properly test it out.  It's good that the next demo will have this "enforced" in the Grognard mode.  I'm also glad that there will be the less restrictive FoW for the single player experience of watching the full shebang play out unrestricted.