Auteur Sujet: Let's put the final polish on the English translation  (Lu 43663 fois)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #45 le: 21 décembre 2009, 19:04:51 pm »
5, par 1   ‘Grand Tactics AI’   Suggest ‘Grand Tactical AI’   It’s a subjective choice of name, though
5, par 1   ‘in this case, you can though send orders’   ‘In this case, though, you can send orders...”

How's this?

1.   SOLO MODE, where you will be up against the Grand Tactical AI (note that in this mode you can also play in a mode where you can command 2 armies or simulate engagements between 2 active AI’s; however, in this case you can send orders to a unit which you have chosen to command).

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #46 le: 21 décembre 2009, 19:25:39 pm »
p.16     ‘By simultaneously pressing the Maj key...”       No Maj key on English keyboard!?
= Alt?

I had already suggested Maj be changed to Alt, and it is in the new version.  But that's wrong... it's the Shift key.  Changed.

Hors ligne Holdit

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #47 le: 21 décembre 2009, 19:30:56 pm »
Let me know if there's anything else that needs checking and I'll take a look.

Holdit

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #48 le: 21 décembre 2009, 19:49:58 pm »
25, first par   This paragraph is difficult to understand (perhaps it will be clearer with the game).  “Four basic configs” are noted, but I can see only three mentioned!?  Changing the title of each config into italics might help…

This whole paragraph makes no sense.

ORGANISATION: this parameter indicates one of the four basic configurations: during battle, when the frontline is at right angles to the advance of the unit; in echelon formation, where you are not permitted to move to the right or left -  in this case, the troops advance along a frontline, one of whose flanks is behind the lead unit. In grid mode, the units are positioned alternately on 3 lines.

The four organizations are:  In two lines, On right echelon, On left echelon, and In checkerboard. In the text the two echelon configurations are combined, so you only see three.

This whole paragraph needs to be rewritten.  Try not to make it much larger or we'll get formatting errors.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #49 le: 21 décembre 2009, 19:56:46 pm »
These tutorials do not cover all aspects of the game but do cover the fundamental elements

Gorgeous! :D

Any more where that came from?  Anyone? :D

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #50 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:02:55 pm »
Permit I come back over the US/ English question.

Why not one translation in UK english and the other in US english?

So everybody will be happy from the two sides of the Atlantic ocean, isn't?

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
« Réponse #51 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:05:54 pm »
hehe... very generous GP.  For myself, I live in the western pacific where the British Empire ended in 1942 and the American empire began, so I haven't go a problem with US English.  C'est la vie.  DT might have a different opinion of the sanctity of the Queen's English. :P
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Re: Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #52 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:10:07 pm »
Actually, to clarify, is echelon just each unit turned in itself or do the divisions form with their left refrused or rights refused?... off to look.
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #53 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:16:37 pm »
Book 2, section 1.4.1

By clicking on the name of your commander-in-chief, his name and those of his subordinate commanding officers will be displayed in red and transcribe your chain of command.

What does "transcribe" mean there?  What if we ended the sentence after the word "red"?  Would it mean anything different?  dieseltaylor has suggested "show" or "describe", but that doesn't seem to help that sentence.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #54 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:27:43 pm »
substituting for the overarching message "No orders" the message "Orders Despatched" AFTER orders had been actually sent but before they had reached their destination and been acted upon.

I agree, pcelt.  This is probably a code change rather than something we can do in translation, but I'll look at it.  Does anyone how to find out if orders have been sent to a unit?

Hook

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
Re : Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #55 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:28:14 pm »
Book 2, section 1.4.1

What does "transcribe" mean there?  What if we ended the sentence after the word "red"?  Would it mean anything different?  dieseltaylor has suggested "show" or "describe", but that doesn't seem to help that sentence.

I suggest:
By clicking on the name of your commander-in-chief, his name and those of his subordinate commanding officers will be displayed in red, showing your chain of command.
If you end the sentence after "red", you leave out the reference to the "chain of command".

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #56 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:32:51 pm »
*Page 15
1.1.7 Second paragraph could usefully be rewritten. It is not totally clear that the example is solely about elite infantry as in the example it talks of two regiments, one on the defence and  -" the latter incurs losses 30% superior to the former"

I would suggest that after the first sentence it says. "Therefore in a firefight between the two types of regiment the elite would inflict 30% more casualties on the line infantry."

I am making the assumption that defence is irrelevant in the example - but what do I know! The current example is no help.

I agree, that really stinks.  Here's the full current text:

So a Guard soldier is worth 1.3, while a simple infantryman is worth 1. In the game, that means that if two regiments confront each other – one defending, the other on the frontline – the latter incurs losses 30% superior to the former.

Could someone suggest a complete rewrite?

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #57 le: 21 décembre 2009, 20:36:19 pm »
By clicking on the name of your commander-in-chief, his name and those of his subordinate commanding officers will be displayed in red, showing your chain of command.

I'm going with that.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #58 le: 21 décembre 2009, 21:00:09 pm »
If anyone else would like to help but isn't sure where to start and doesn't want to duplicate effort, I've posted a lot of questions which need answers and suggested things to be rewritten.

If you're not up to trying to proofread the manual, there are a lot of screens in the game that have things that might be clearer.  If you don't mind going through the manuals, there are still going to be things other people have missed.  There are a lot of places where the wording doesn't make sense, or is awkward. 

And to everyone, thanks for all your help so far.  Keep the suggestions coming.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #59 le: 21 décembre 2009, 21:39:35 pm »
I just went through and made a bunch of changes to the manual that I'd originally sent to JMM but weren't made or were done improperly.  The surprising thing is, only two of these have been mentioned in this thread.

Anyone wishing to proof the manual is going to find things that no one else has found yet.  It's still a worthwhile effort, even though someone else has done it before.

Hook