Auteur Sujet: Let's put the final polish on the English translation  (Lu 43662 fois)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #30 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:13:27 pm »
I am not sure what a plantation is on the map but if there is a more descriptive word ..........

I would assume its a wood or copse/tree plantation however it seems more likely it is field crops.

A plantation in the game is a field of crops.  Looks like wheat.  Odd that none show up in the demo.  There should be some south of the village on the west edge of the map, but don't go too close or the game will lock up.  You can see vineyards north of the village.

I need a one word suggestion for "field of crops" to replace plantation.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #31 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:19:28 pm »
The section needs to re-written as woods are usable and forests are not but the piece then gives examples of movements in forests. If I am wrong then its needs to re-written for clarity : )

Changed. I replaced most of the references to forests with wooded areas.  Has anyone tried moving into or through a dense forest?  Need to make sure the manual is right. :)

Hors ligne Malaspina

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #32 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:27:14 pm »
The US/ English question I think revolves around the area of sales. I imagine that most of the Europeans learning English are learning the English English. So if the game is to appeal to the Europeans players who are not going to get their own language version then it would help to be English English.

I'm afraid I have to dissent here. While that was true until a few years ago, businesses in this country (Italy) now use a variety of "International" English which principally originates from American English. So long "debenture loans", hail "treasury bonds"!

However, I would definitely go with a British English spelling for the manual. It would add a touch of dusty Old England to a game for old fogeys like myself.  ;) (joking, of course)
Napoleon BlownApart

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #33 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:28:56 pm »
Penultimate line - ".. you must place them on the map at your will."

The meaning is a little muddy and perhaps could be joined with the following sentence to say" If you do not place the reinforcements then the AI will allocate them to the use the main operational lines."

How's this:

The same system is used for reinforcements: you must place them on the map yourself. If you do not place the reinforcements then the AI will allocate them to the use the main operational lines.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #34 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:34:24 pm »
The same system is used for reinforcements: you must place them on the map yourself. If you do not place the reinforcements then the AI will allocate them to the use the main operational lines.

Something still didn't sound right.  ;)

Hors ligne dieseltaylor

• Adjudant
« Réponse #35 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:39:55 pm »
Morning Hook!

Diversion in itself is not what English speakers might think was meant. In the game it is what might be called a Limited Deployment? However if the Diversion term remains then I think it fair to add and explanation that the usage of the word is different. It is important as down the track someways people will actually talk about diversionary tactics etc and then it will get complicated. My suggestion would therefore be:

"Diversion
In the French game this term this does not mean just a distraction or ploy to fool the enemy as often used in English but an actual advance until such time as the Corps concerned decides the opposition is too strong to proceed further on its planned path. This covers the case where your Corps brushes aside light resistance and either the enemy has to react with a suitable size force or allow your Corps to continue to advance. Of course from the enemy's point of view he cannot be sure where your Corps is intending to advance to."

As for moving through woods. Forests tend to be much larger than woods. However that aside I have been in very tangled and unused woods and they are impossible for formed units - to call them forests and more ordered areas woods seems a fair idea. Woods then especially would have been coppiced, felled for use, and generally well manged with little undergrowth. The pigs would see to that!

Language wise I think if BF is out of the equation the majority of players will be using English english!. However words that mean the same would be an elegant answer but I am not able to think of one for customised currently. Give me 5 minutes : )

What is the position on Livre I? Should I go backwards in that one or is that about to be finished?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #36 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:42:38 pm »
1. Forces' - and other examples. Most publishers dispense with ' in that situation

2."HistWar: Les Grognards"  I think is more visually attractive as HistWar:Les Grognards. I know it is incorrect of me to think this - perhaps in the final draft they can be kerned slightly closer than a full space. Leaving the quoataion marks out would also be easier on the eye.

First example changed to "With the map editor, you can not only define map conditions such as the size of the battlefield and the starting positions of the forces, but also the weather, the season, and more."

The problem with the spacing for "HistWar: Les Grognards" is that the line is justified both right and left so additional space is added.  Is there a way in Microsoft Word to force a space to be a certain size in this case?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #37 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:46:34 pm »
Something still didn't sound right.  ;)

Go beat up dieseltaylor. :D  I didn't notice that either.

How about "the AI will allocate them to use the main operational lines"?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #38 le: 21 décembre 2009, 17:55:38 pm »
What is the position on Livre I? Should I go backwards in that one or is that about to be finished?

I'm going through the posts one at a time and making the suggested changes, and I will do as many iterations of this as necessary until we're happy with the result.  If your changes overlap someone else's, I'll go with my best guess as to which might be better, and I'll try to post any significant changes here.

So... go for it!  Everyone's assistance in this has been invaluable.  I think the more eyes we get on this, the better.

As for "diversion", what words were commonly used to describe a feint during the period?  I'm trying to avoid using terms that are too modern here.  I believe that a diversion is actually intended to be a diversionary attack, with lower acceptable losses than an all-out assault.

Hook
« Modifié: 21 décembre 2009, 17:59:18 pm par Hook »

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #39 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:15:15 pm »
HistWar : Les ................ - there should never be a space before a colon

It also refers to repertory which is uncommon English and perhaps Directory or something would be simpler.

Wow, lots of examples of "Histwar : Les".  All have been changed to "Histwar: Les".

Repertory appears to be a case of overenthusiastic translation... the original French word "repertoire" makes more sense here as it's used in English.  However, that word isn't correct either.

How's this? 

You can view the text file with any text editor (Notepad, Wordpad etc.) via the ‘OoB’ folder in the “HistWar” main folder and it can therefore also be printed...

I need better wording than "via the OoB folder".

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #40 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:16:04 pm »
How about "the AI will allocate them to use the main operational lines"?

I'd leave out "use" as in my edited quote. I think this is about protecting the operational line (as a reserve) not "use" it in any way as in march on the line, get supply, etc. But I can't find the original quote in the manual.

Maybe you could update your first post and tell us what has been proofread already and where we are now. I do offer my assistance but I do not want to start somewhere and learn later that somebody else has already done it.

Ras

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #41 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:25:28 pm »
You can view the text file with any text editor (Notepad, Wordpad etc.) via the ‘OoB’ folder in the “HistWar” main folder and it can therefore also be printed...

I need better wording than "via the OoB folder".

Classic mistake of German and French native speakers. (if I may say so)
We like to make long sentences in our native language and that works well.
Translating it into English it's better to make two sentences out of this.
Like:
       "You can view and print the text file with any text editor. It is (located or saved) in the "OoB" folder in your main "Histwar" folder."

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #42 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:29:19 pm »
Harry, no reason to be embarrassed about your changes.  This is good info.

napoleonic  is acting as an adjective here, not a noun, => no capital

I don't know about anyone else, but I always capitalize Napoleonic.  Does anyone else have an opinion?

Consider replacing with ‘ball, grapeshot, or shells’

How about "roundshot, canister, or shells"?  Balls sounds good enough, but grapeshot is a different kind of muntion, not the same as canister, and was used in naval guns.  Any opinions?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #43 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:37:09 pm »
I'd leave out "use" as in my edited quote. I think this is about protecting the operational line (as a reserve) not "use" it in any way as in march on the line, get supply, etc. But I can't find the original quote in the manual.

It's 2.1.6, Starting Positions.  The text is talking about reinforcements who would probably be marched into battle, not kept in the rear to protect the lines of operation.  I'm not completely comfortable with "use", but something needs to imply that the reinforcements will start there and move into battle as you order them.

Maybe you could update your first post and tell us what has been proofread already and where we are now. I do offer my assistance but I do not want to start somewhere and learn later that somebody else has already done it.

I'm going through the posts one by one, in order, and posting comments here as I make changes.  If you have a change that has not already been mentioned in the thread, then it probably hasn't been made yet.  Interestingly enough, the newest version of the manual already has some of the suggested changes in it.

If I haven't commented on a change here, I probably made it as suggested.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #44 le: 21 décembre 2009, 18:40:38 pm »
Yes, grape shot was used before canister, but by the time of Napoloeinc wars it was only used on the seas.

Grape was a few big balls, something like 9-20, while canister had 50-150 musketballs sized iron balls.

That said, the word grape and canister was used at random, some called canister grape ect.