Auteur Sujet: Conculsions drawn from the demo  (Lu 15577 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #15 le: 20 décembre 2009, 22:07:07 pm »
I'm used to seeing 12 lb
That would be if you were weighting food, like a 3 lb Chicken, for example.

The main thing is if "£" or "#" are used we know what it means.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #16 le: 20 décembre 2009, 23:13:02 pm »
Ok, so the use of "lb" and "pdr" comes down to American or British usage.  I remember the Brits having guns like "4 pounder" in World War II, maybe even today.  Americans don't use that system as far as I know.  Direct fire guns are measured in millimeters and indirect fire guns mostly in inches, sometimes millimeters.

Since we don't have a tradition of using "pdr" for our guns, we never see that abbreviation.

This has been interesting. :)

Hook

Hors ligne atd

• Caporal
« Réponse #17 le: 21 décembre 2009, 00:10:25 am »
For the record - I do not dislike the French JMM, nor have I made any comment here that could be construed thus. 'Le diner de cons' is one of my favourite comedies...  Other than that I prefer to ignore personal comments, whatever the source.

It would be constructive if the apparent problems in the session that I outlined earlier could be addressed / explained. May I ask whether these problems are confined to the demo?

It would be nice if the £ error could be fixed. It is a very minor thing but it is just that being so minor, one would have hoped that the extended period of beta testing would have eliminated such things. lb, lber, or pdr would all be acceptable.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #18 le: 21 décembre 2009, 00:22:06 am »
It would be nice if the £ error could be fixed.

Except that it's not an error.  Sorry, atd. 

Hook

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #19 le: 21 décembre 2009, 00:24:44 am »
It would be constructive ...

You are arrogant... I think the best is you leave this forum...

JMM

Hors ligne Old Guard

• Soldat
Re : Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #20 le: 21 décembre 2009, 01:45:05 am »
You are arrogant... I think the best is you leave this forum...

JMM

JMM,

I was tracking this game from the very begining. It is almost 10 years now. I remember the first game video you released is a Russian square under fire. I  was immediately attacted and since then I followed this game to today.

Please ignore those unconstructive comments. As a loyal fan of this game, I really appreciate your and the team's effort to bring our dreams to be true. I know there are bugs in the game but what game is free of bugs? This game is totally different from other war game. I would say it is a breakthough and milestone. It is just like the first generation windows operation system. When it is first brought to the public, almost nobody likes it. Because people got use to DOS at that time. But now who is still using DOS?

It is time for us to show you support. Please do not feel frustrated because of some bad comments. You still have us. We are your Old Guard and you can rely on us.

Please forgave me for my poor English which is not my native language too.

Sincerely

Your loyal Old Guard

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #21 le: 21 décembre 2009, 02:16:30 am »
Thx a lot...

I think I am dead lucky to develop this game with your support.
I know there are some bugs but it's important the first release avoids the frustration.. it's my objective.

I try to read all topics.. but no really easy today because I have to finish the game.
After the release, we work together to adjust the parameters if need.
I am sure we'll talk with a spirit of openness and conviviality.

My English is not the best but I hope everybody can understand  ;)

JMM

Hors ligne ess1

• Capitaine
« Réponse #22 le: 21 décembre 2009, 02:37:25 am »
JMM,  We are with you all the way.   Ignore the naysayers.   Ranting is very easy using the medium of the forum.

Sellick, (A vey appreciative supporter)
 :D :D

Hors ligne CBR

• Capitaine
« Réponse #23 le: 21 décembre 2009, 03:00:02 am »
Ok, so the use of "lb" and "pdr" comes down to American or British usage.  I remember the Brits having guns like "4 pounder" in World War II, maybe even today.  Americans don't use that system as far as I know.  Direct fire guns are measured in millimeters and indirect fire guns mostly in inches, sometimes millimeters.

Since we don't have a tradition of using "pdr" for our guns, we never see that abbreviation.
I guess there are several abbreviations that could be used. In English language "pdr" for pounder would be most common and sometimes just "pr" or even "pd" for pound.  And in USA it would not be any different, just look at the ACW era Artillerists Manual by John Gibbon that use both "prd"/"pd" and pounder/pound.

I can't recall encountering the use of "£" in any literature I have read, I guess it could be in some books though but that does not make it correct though. A lot of people write "loose" instead of "lose" but that is not correct either even though most people understand the meaning. And of course same thing can be said about "lbs" or "lb" as that is purely used for actual weights (of guns, carriage, ammo etc) and not something that is part of the technical name/term for a specific gun.

CBR

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #24 le: 21 décembre 2009, 03:29:20 am »
I guess there are several abbreviations that could be used. In English language "pdr" for pounder would be most common

Well, I've seen it, even if I can't remember where.  JMM has seen it, that's why he used it, but you'll have to ask him where.  It's not like he made it up.  The difference between loose and lose would be caught by an editor, and this got by, no matter where we read it.

If we know that it's been used before, can we say that it's absolutely wrong?  Even if it's not the commonest usage, is it still wrong?  Is it just a matter of opinion and a stylistic preference?  Is one symbol really enough to judge the entire game?

If JMM does decide to change it, then "pdr" would likely be the correct English version.  Someone needs to go through all the screens and make sure the longer strings will still fit all the text boxes in 1024x768 resolution.  This includes other programs that weren't included in the demo.

Hook

Hors ligne CBR

• Capitaine
Re : Re : Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #25 le: 21 décembre 2009, 03:53:30 am »
If we know that it's been used before, can we say that it's absolutely wrong?  Even if it's not the commonest usage, is it still wrong?  Is it just a matter of opinion and a stylistic preference?  Is one symbol really enough to judge the entire game?
It is a sign for the British currency and has AFAIK no other use. And no, I don't judge the entire game because of such an error. I see it as belonging to the words, some on the manual and some in the game, that could do with a better translation. Something that could be discussed in a less heated way IMO, that is all.

CBR

Hors ligne ArtVandelay

• Sergent
« Réponse #26 le: 21 décembre 2009, 03:57:08 am »
JMM,  We are with you all the way.   Ignore the naysayers.   Ranting is very easy using the medium of the forum.

Agreed! LG is like no other Napoleonic simulation (I've played just about all of them). JMM, don't lose focus on negative comments.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
« Réponse #27 le: 21 décembre 2009, 04:08:58 am »
THX... Don't worry, this problem is fixed up.

About the "£" or other "pdr" to define the type of cannon.. really... Let say your choice for the next version  ;)

About the translation... An important part of the text was translated by a professional English translator, another part from an American both translator and wargamer... a third part from a French... but the professional translator verifies and said the translation is right.. so I don't understand..
Do you have some examples about the bugs..

JMM

PS : I chose '£' because I saw it in the text I read... no more.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #28 le: 21 décembre 2009, 04:15:53 am »
It is a sign for the British currency and has AFAIK no other use. And no, I don't judge the entire game because of such an error. I see it as belonging to the words, some on the manual and some in the game, that could do with a better translation. Something that could be discussed in a less heated way IMO, that is all.

Ok.  I'll agree with you on the translation issues.  I don't know if anything can be done about the manual if it's already gone to press, but everything in the game is in a text file somewhere and is easy enough to change.  I've already made a lot of changes myself and sent them to JMM.  I don't think anyone would complain if you wanted to help.  Send me a private message if you're interested so we don't duplicate effort.

Even if the game is released with some translation problems, we can still fix it easily in a mod.  

If I hadn't seen the 12£ notation elsewhere I certainly would have commented on it.  For me, it's like the time format 11h30... not what I'm used to but not wrong either.

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #29 le: 21 décembre 2009, 04:19:06 am »
... but the professional translator verifies and said the translation is right..

I think your professional translator wasn't familiar with the terminology used.  No problem, we'll fix it.

Hook