Auteur Sujet: Conculsions drawn from the demo  (Lu 15569 fois)

Hors ligne atd

• Caporal
Conculsions drawn from the demo
« le: 20 décembre 2009, 12:19:57 pm »
You're assuming it's not working properly.  It's certainly working properly enough to be a lot of fun to play, and for a lot of people, too.  There are more people here who like it than otherwise.

This will depend on how you define "rapidly." Give a time frame and we can discuss how realistic it is.  How long have you been a professional programmer?  What game companies have you worked for?  Got a link to your Mobygames entry?  How many games have your name in the credits in the printed manual?

I'd prefer to keep them, but that's just me.  Would you rather have # instead?

This is pretty much how most us view the situation.

Careful there.

Keep in mind that JMM reads English, too.

Hook

Yes, I'm assuming it's not working properly. It's a reasonable assumption.

'Rapidly' - well, let's base that on the overall development time for the game, the rate of progress over the past eighteen months and the sole developer issue. Several months, at least.

Since you ask, I've programmed since 1980, had games published in my sole name, been MD of a software development company (managing many projects and programmers) and developed extremely lucrative internationally cutting edge software. What's your experience then?

You want to keep £? Why, it's wrong? Why suggest #, which is also wrong? No, I want the correct abbreviation but it seems doubtful that you even know what that is...

Careful? Oh, dear me no.

I'm pretty sure that French is the main language around Lyons and that JMM prefers French.

//

Please just accept that some people here do not share your view and, as Holdit has perceptively noted, it's a view likely to be much more widespread outside of the posters to this forum.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #1 le: 20 décembre 2009, 15:15:39 pm »
Yes, I'm assuming it's not working properly. It's a reasonable assumption.

You'll have to take that up with all the people on this forum who have been playing and enjoying the demo.  And all the people who have pre-ordered.

'Rapidly' - well, let's base that on the overall development time for the game, the rate of progress over the past eighteen months and the sole developer issue. Several months, at least.

Ok, thanks.  That was my estimate too before I saw the demo.  I've revised my estimate down since then.

Since you ask, I've programmed since 1980, had games published in my sole name, been MD of a software development company (managing many projects and programmers) and developed extremely lucrative internationally cutting edge software. What's your experience then?

I don't see any verifiable information there.

I started my professional programming career in March 1976 in the Pentagon.  This might be easier to believe if you knew I was in the US Army at the time, and everyone from the programming school was assigned there from the class I was in except for the foreign officers. 

One of the games that you might have a copy of the printed manual with my name in it is Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory.  There are others.

I'm still waiting for a link to your MobyGames entry.

You want to keep £? Why, it's wrong? Why suggest #, which is also wrong? No, I want the correct abbreviation but it seems doubtful that you even know what that is...

Personal insults?  Do you enjoy being able to post on this forum?  Do you wish to be able to continue?

Why, exactly, would # be wrong?  For that matter, why would £ be wrong for JMM?

Please just accept that some people here do not share your view and, as Holdit has perceptively noted, it's a view likely to be much more widespread outside of the posters to this forum.

What does that have to do with anything?

Hook

Hors ligne Holdit

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #2 le: 20 décembre 2009, 15:26:54 pm »

Why, exactly, would # be wrong?  For that matter, why would £ be wrong for JMM?

Because £ is a unit of currency.

Holdit

Hors ligne Taff

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #3 le: 20 décembre 2009, 15:53:44 pm »
£ = Libra, a pound weight in Latin so it makes sense

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #4 le: 20 décembre 2009, 16:04:32 pm »
£ = Libra, a pound weight in Latin so it makes sense

So £ was a unit of weight long before it was a unit of currency? :)

I know I've seen £ used in cannon weights outside the game, I just don't remember, in 35 years of reading, where I saw it. 

Hook

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #5 le: 20 décembre 2009, 16:07:21 pm »
I think that a pound (weight) of silver produced 240 pennies in the old days. So a pound (weight) did mean £1. I'm not sure when the silver penny went out of use in England.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne atd

• Caporal
« Réponse #6 le: 20 décembre 2009, 16:53:09 pm »
Hook - it is not a personal insult to say that you do not understand something, particularly if it is true. On the other hand threatening censorship and implying dishonesty is, well...  insulting.

[EDIT JMM] The first troll of this forum.. YEP... The first one I am banning for the next insult..

If you still believe £ is the correct notation for lb, then that's your affair. I prefer to regard it as an aberration of conversion to English, which along with all the other errors in the manual, is what it is. 'Cavalry artillery' indeed.

But let's look at the wider reality - the demo from a session today...

1 Run the program three times until it allows me in.

2 Order just one corps to move. It starts to move in half the advertised time. Then, within 12 minutes of battle time...

3 Units flash up as 'out of map'. They are not but some are indicated as destroyed (Austrian death ray - see Chandler et al).

4 Several messages flash along the bottom of the screen (too fast to read) regarding destroyed units. By whom?

5 An enemy corps flag appears in the middle of my formations from nowhere (but it is not present on the F3 map - this is not a FOW isue but a bug)

6 Clicking on a despatch causes all sorts of meaningless and incorrect actions.

A few minutes of play and I'm done with it. My time is worth more.

And does 'attacked' mean that, or should it say 'attacking'

It's unplayable. I've refrained form directing friends to the demo because I know it will put them off. If you can see the emperor's new clothes, then your eyesight is better than mine.
« Modifié: 20 décembre 2009, 18:06:37 pm par JMM »

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #7 le: 20 décembre 2009, 17:32:08 pm »
Thoughts about the demo feedback will be addressed to JMM.

However harsh attacks concerning JMM choices are, obviously, not so welcome; so please leave unuseful flames away there are plenty of games out there to be played..... or just program and produce another one, i will be glad to help testing it.
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #8 le: 20 décembre 2009, 17:39:35 pm »
Hook - it is not a personal insult to say that you do not understand something, particularly if it is true. On the other hand threatening censorship and implying dishonesty is, well...  insulting.

If you still believe £ is the correct notation for lb, then that's your affair. I prefer to regard it as an aberration of conversion to English, which along with all the other errors in the manual, is what it is. 'Cavalry artillery' indeed.

But let's look at the wider reality - the demo from a session today...

1 Run the program three times until it allows me in.

2 Order just one corps to move. It starts to move in half the advertised time. Then, within 12 minutes of battle time...

3 Units flash up as 'out of map'. They are not but some are indicated as destroyed (Austrian death ray - see Chandler et al).

4 Several messages flash along the bottom of the screen (too fast to read) regarding destroyed units. By whom?

5 An enemy corps flag appears in the middle of my formations from nowhere (but it is not present on the F3 map - this is not a FOW isue but a bug)

6 Clicking on a despatch causes all sorts of meaningless and incorrect actions.

And does 'attacked' mean that, or should it say 'attacking'

It's unplayable. I've refrained form directing friends to the demo because I know it will put them off. If you can see the emperor's new clothes, then your eyesight is better than mine.

Do you permit I spill out my 2 cents.

From my raw english knowledge the quarrel about "£" and "#" is flying above my head (Mates who know me are thinking "we are not surprised"). Because it is fo me unintelligible it appears to be childish.

About the demo: I think if you consider it was a stumble to hastily assembled, all of us could agree peacefully.

Please, wait the full game and don't claim judgement over a febrile human reaction as was the demo. I found the greatest comfident about the full game (I hear sarcastical guys whispering "normal he had already paid for". I protest vigorously, money is not for me, at the moment, my first pensiveness. Although when I consider the evoluton of it ... hahem ... but that is another story), had the testers not said many times the full game is less bugged? Is JMM not actually as in the past working to ameliorate the program?

I am sure the harbour is not so far, considering that.

Peace and love! Huh? Am I rejuvenating???

Cheers,
GP.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #9 le: 20 décembre 2009, 18:01:38 pm »
@ adt...

I'm pretty sure that French is the main language around Lyons and that JMM prefers French.
You don't like French.. no my problem..
For me, no problem with English people... I work with a lot of very nice guy... Huge difference!

Right.. I engage you to leave this forum...

I don't like the man like you... You talk about my game, just listing the problems, not about the good parts.
The difference between you and me.. you write.. I build!!!!

Last advertisement before banning... No time to spend with you...

JMM

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #10 le: 20 décembre 2009, 18:08:08 pm »
From my raw english knowledge the quarrel about "£" and "#" is flying above my head (Mates who know me are thinking "we are not surprised"). Because it is fo me unintelligible it appears to be childish.

I agree that it appears to be childish.  

# is sometimes used in America as an abbreviation for "pound".  The symbol is usually called the "pound sign".

£ is used as the currency sign in the UK, as $ is used in the US.  It refers to "Pounds Sterling".

I do not know if £ was commonly used to refer to cannon weights, although I have seen it used that way.  I don't know if this is standard for French.

Edit:  It's not standard French.  JMM says he saw it in English.  I saw it in English too, as I don't read French, but I didn't remember if it was a translation from a French document.

When talking about guns, the British often use a different abbreviation for pounds than the Americans.  Both use more than one letter, which takes up more screen space.  I'm guessing the French abbreviation would be different from either the Brit or the American one.  

Hope this helps.

Hook
« Modifié: 20 décembre 2009, 18:41:37 pm par Hook »

Hors ligne FranzVonG

• Capitaine
« Réponse #11 le: 20 décembre 2009, 18:37:06 pm »

It's unplayable.

it' not. I've played with the demo since its release, and even with bugs, it's the best nappy game out there.
Lieutenant Franz von G., Cmdr. of the Lègion du Midi, 15th Division, IV Corps, Grande Armée.

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Re : Conculsions drawn from the demo
« Réponse #12 le: 20 décembre 2009, 19:41:36 pm »
I agree that it appears to be childish.  

# is sometimes used in America as an abbreviation for "pound".  The symbol is usually called the "pound sign".

£ is used as the currency sign in the UK, as $ is used in the US.  It refers to "Pounds Sterling".

I do not know if £ was commonly used to refer to cannon weights, although I have seen it used that way.  I don't know if this is standard for French.

Edit:  It's not standard French.  JMM says he saw it in English.  I saw it in English too, as I don't read French, but I didn't remember if it was a translation from a French document.

When talking about guns, the British often use a different abbreviation for pounds than the Americans.  Both use more than one letter, which takes up more screen space.  I'm guessing the French abbreviation would be different from either the Brit or the American one.  

Hope this helps.

Hook

Thank you for the explanation. Definetely, for my narrowed mind, it don't be worth for a war ... even in words  :roll:.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #13 le: 20 décembre 2009, 20:09:11 pm »
When talking about cannon size, I am used to this expression :

12pdr

which means 12 "pounder".

I would like to see "pdr", but GP is correct, a big arguement over a tiny thing.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #14 le: 20 décembre 2009, 20:38:07 pm »
When talking about cannon size, I am used to this expression :
12pdr
which means 12 "pounder".
I would like to see "pdr", but GP is correct, a big arguement over a tiny thing.

And this looks odd to me.  I'm used to seeing 12 lb. There is not one way that's correct and all the others wrong.  In the past I've seen 12 lb, 12 pdr, 12£ and 12# and in French it's 12 livres, I'm not sure of the abbreviation in that case.  All of these are correct. I'd prefer seeing £ rather than #.

£ has the advantage that it's been used in Napoleonic literature and it's understandable by all of us, and is only one character which may make a difference on some display screens in the game.

Edit to add:  When I downloaded the very first version of the English manual, I made a list of corrections to send to JMM.  I noticed the £ in the manual, and I did think about it for a couple of seconds before deciding not to comment on it, for the reasons given in this excerpt from a message I sent to JMM:

There are a number of words not mentioned below that I would not have used myself if I were writing the manual, but since they are not wrong or confusing I have left them to give the game its own unique "flavor."

Hook
« Modifié: 20 décembre 2009, 20:57:54 pm par Hook »