Auteur Sujet: Is the 2d map "ahead" of the 3d graphics catching up ?.  (Lu 4876 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Is the 2d map "ahead" of the 3d graphics catching up ?.
« le: 09 décembre 2009, 20:24:31 pm »
A while before I took this picture, there was a cross on the 2d map showing an engagement :

When I went to the 3d map there were no units there.

After taking the picture above showing a Cavalry melee I switch straight back to the 2d map and no units were shown here........

From this is looks like the 2d action happened quite a while before the 3d graphics displayed it, is this what's confusing us ?.

Here is the file if you want to take a look, action on French right about miday.
http://rapidshare.com/files/318588805/Montebello-091209-18H24.sav.html

Hors ligne Holdit

• Lieutenant
Re : Is the 2d map "ahead" of the 3d graphics catching up ?.
« Réponse #1 le: 09 décembre 2009, 22:27:32 pm »
This has happened to me quite a few times. Just yesterday I had a Frecnh and Russian corps advancing into contact with each other, but still some distance away, when suddenly two French regiments began to rout. At first I thought that a distant Russian battery had done the damage. "Aha," thought I, "Artillery is definitely too powerful." but then I saw a regiment of Russian hussars that had appeared out of nowhere. They seemed more likely to have triggered the rout, but I couldn't see them on the map, and couldn't direct anyone to attack them either, so the regiment that had (possibly) routed two regiments was blithely ignored by other units only a few metres away.

I also had a problem with enemy units invisible on the map even as they were engaging in a lively musketry duels with my own units.

I couldn't say which view is ahead of which, but they certainly don't seem to be in sync.

Holdit

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #2 le: 10 décembre 2009, 14:51:56 pm »
When viewing the 2d map and you see a "crossed swords" to mark an engagement, quickly nip to the 3d map and there should be units fighting, but I suspect there is often no units engaged at this spot on the 3d map, I will look out for this some more.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #3 le: 10 décembre 2009, 15:51:40 pm »
I think the crossed swords appear if a unit is under artillery attack also. If so it's not necessarily so that an enemy inf or cav unit is attacking it.

LvD
Let no bastard pass the bridge!

Hors ligne Barbaronzon

• Caporal
« Réponse #4 le: 15 décembre 2009, 14:20:03 pm »
I might be completly wrong about that, but to me it seems like the 2d map shows the latest intel reports etc. If you go into the 3d view things might look a bit different because you see it in real time. So IMHO its the 3D view that is ahead of the action compared to the 2d view. Witch would make sense because if you play it like me in Grognards level you rely mosty on reports and what you see as comander arround you.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #5 le: 15 décembre 2009, 14:29:10 pm »
I've seen the crossed swords appear on the 2D map in totally bizarre places that make no sense. 

I think what we may be seeing sometimes is that artillery has missed its target and the crossed swords appear where the cannonballs actually strike. Need verification from JMM on this one.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #6 le: 15 décembre 2009, 15:03:40 pm »
I think the crossed swords appear if a unit is under artillery attack also
Ahh, yes, I should have known that.

but to me it seems like the 2d map shows the latest intel reports etc. If you go into the 3d view things might look a bit different because you see it in real time
Could be, but I still feel I'm getting stuff happen in 2d, before I see it in 3d, but I could be wrong, it's a bit confusing.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #7 le: 15 décembre 2009, 16:56:22 pm »
A couple of times I have seen one of my artillery units being approached by an enemy infantry unit and not manage to break them before they come too close, and all of a sudden my artillery crew is being mowed down like straw. However there is no sign (visible or audible) that the enemy unit is firing or charging - they just walk around while my men die in droves. It would be nice to actually see/hear the action that is killing off my men. I'm guessing this is also a problem with the engine vs the graphical representation.

vD

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #8 le: 15 décembre 2009, 16:59:07 pm »
It would be nice to actually see/hear the action that is killing off my men. I'm guessing this is also a problem with the engine vs the graphical representation.
Agreed, it's things like this that have to be improved/fixed for it to be a good MP game - we have to see what is really happening.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #9 le: 15 décembre 2009, 18:15:28 pm »
A couple of times I have seen one of my artillery units being approached by an enemy infantry unit and not manage to break them before they come too close, and all of a sudden my artillery crew is being mowed down like straw. However there is no sign (visible or audible) that the enemy unit is firing or charging - they just walk around while my men die in droves. It would be nice to actually see/hear the action that is killing off my men.

Watch in the 3D view.  The infantry is sending small groups of men to attack the gunners.  The same thing happens when cavalry attacks.  It's a cool animation.

Nice to see that the infantry is able to close to contact with artillery without being destroyed.  Was this a small regimental gun, or an artillery battery, and if so, what guns did it have?

Hook

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #10 le: 15 décembre 2009, 21:27:50 pm »
I was watching in 3D view and there was no "attack action" on the part of the enemy - they where just marching about while my men died en masse. That's why I'm thinking that the 3D view was not showing what was happening.

vD
« Modifié: 15 décembre 2009, 21:29:45 pm par von Döbeln »