Auteur Sujet: Infantry defeating artillery.  (Lu 8708 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Infantry defeating artillery.
« le: 07 décembre 2009, 22:35:12 pm »
Here is an example of Infantry taking out an artillery battery, I was playing Russia and the French Infantry (AI) attacked from the right flank at about 90 degrees to the battery.

Momments before this picture was taken the Russian guns were all firing away in the direction of the green arrows, the French Infantry approached slowly from the Russian battery's right flank.

I'm sure some of the problem we are all having is that the graphics don't appear to match the battle calculations going on in the backgroud.  At no point did the French Infantry get any closer to the battery than in this pic, there was only a tiny amount of musket fire and there were a few skirmishers pushed forward of the main French Regiment.

I think we kind of expect the Infantry to "charge" into contact, now should they be doing this and what we see is a "bug" or is this how it should work ?.

Oh, this was the AI attacking, so if that can do it "we" as human players must be able to, it's all about position, no point in doing that head on, or disaster awaits !.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Re : Infantry defeating artillery.
« Réponse #1 le: 07 décembre 2009, 22:46:23 pm »
Here is the picture taken a minute or two before the one above, it shows abaout 100 men (scaled up at 1 to 10) going ahead of the main French force.  Also see the Russian cannons are still active and crewed, in the top picture the battery is destroyed.

If this had been viewed at a fast speed it would have looked very odd indeed, this I think is another problem, it appears to me to be that the 3d views need to be in 60/60 time, otherwise stuff is happening to quickly to understand.

EDIT : Yes, I was watching this unfold at 60/60 speed.
« Modifié: 07 décembre 2009, 22:49:14 pm par Gunner24 »

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #2 le: 07 décembre 2009, 22:47:56 pm »
In my current test (1 corps vs 1 corps) a French infantry regiment actually attacked a Russian artillery position, albeit a slightly depleted on, head on and routed them, so it is possible. But as you say Gunner24 there is nothing in the 3d view that suggests charging or even firing - all of a sudden the whole artillery unit was just gone while the infantry was marching up to it. Maybe it's because I'm playing at 20/60 speed but some form of graphic or audial hint at what is happening would be nice.

LvD
Let no bastard pass the bridge!

Hors ligne Vorontsov

• Caporal
« Réponse #3 le: 07 décembre 2009, 22:53:14 pm »
Will the full game show us that actually happening in 3d unlike in demo?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Infantry defeating artillery.
« Réponse #4 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:12:38 pm »
Here is the picture taken a minute or two before the one above, it shows about 100 men (scaled up at 1 to 10) going ahead of the main French force.  Also see the Russian cannons are still active and crewed, in the top picture the battery is destroyed.

This is what it looks like when cavalry attack successfully as well.  Five or six cavalry figures approach one of the guns and you see the gun crews fighting with them.  Another few cavalry figures will go forward to attack another gun.  Thanks for the picture of infantry attacking artillery.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:17:05 pm »
Yes, I've seen the Cavalry do this as well, in one case I had a Cav Regiment go a long way to the flank of the artillery that was in counter battery fire with me, then had them turn and go towards the artillery battery, ending up behind it, then hit the attack unit command for them, and as you say, some went of to dispose of the artillery, while the others kept their distance.  Some enemy Cav did arrive to rout my Cav after this, but the artillery was a gonna !.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #6 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:33:09 pm »
I just witnessed a cavalry unit charge an artillery unit, but in the 3d view the cavalry unit only charges with a small portion of the men as in the pic below (sorry about the size but it would be hard to see otherwise). Maybe 1/4 of the men charges (on the left) but the rest stand still some 100 meters away and do nothing (on the right - there are more men outside the pic). It looks a bit odd - one would think the whole unit would charge as one.

LvD

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #7 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:39:36 pm »
I'm sure this is by design, the Regiment won't all charge the cannons at the same time, although it's what we expect from other games.......I'm guessing they attack with a Squadron or two with the rest kept back in support.

I'm not sure what the advantage of this system is.......it would appear to be a lot easier to model the whole Regiment attacking ?.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #8 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:46:07 pm »
If it is by design then ok - but if it is a graphical/3d glitch it should be addressed.

LvD

Hors ligne englishoo7

• Capitaine
  • 'The Bloody 11th'
« Réponse #9 le: 08 décembre 2009, 00:41:03 am »
The game speed I use is becoming slower and slower, you see a lot more.  Above posts are very interesting, keep them coming!
Once more into the breach dear friends...

Hors ligne Sean E

• Caporal
« Réponse #10 le: 08 décembre 2009, 11:34:23 am »
Interesting to see von Dobeln’s screenshot as my graphics look very different to his?

My specs:
WIn XP SP3
Intel Core2Duo E7300
2G RAM
Intel (R) G33/G31
DirectX 9.0c
« Modifié: 08 décembre 2009, 11:36:22 am par Sean E »

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #11 le: 08 décembre 2009, 11:50:21 am »
What kind of graphic card do you have?

That landscape is soo strange
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne D3m0

• Sergent
« Réponse #12 le: 08 décembre 2009, 12:10:03 pm »
I'm sure this is by design, the Regiment won't all charge the cannons at the same time, although it's what we expect from other games.......I'm guessing they attack with a Squadron or two with the rest kept back in support.

I'm not sure what the advantage of this system is.......it would appear to be a lot easier to model the whole Regiment attacking ?.
The rest of the regiment can still engage in a Cav. vs. Cav. fight.
I've seen a cavalry regiment charging enemy cavalry and sending the small detachment against nearby artillery at the same time.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #13 le: 08 décembre 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
So it seems to be by design and then I'm totally fine with it. Impressive that units can engage multiple opponents like that! :D

Sean E that checkerboard landscape looks very strange! :shock: Weird that there are that big differences in the graphic representation.

LvD

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #14 le: 08 décembre 2009, 13:27:38 pm »
I just witnessed a cavalry unit charge an artillery unit, but in the 3d view the cavalry unit only charges with a small portion of the men as in the pic below (sorry about the size but it would be hard to see otherwise). Maybe 1/4 of the men charges (on the left) but the rest stand still some 100 meters away and do nothing (on the right - there are more men outside the pic). It looks a bit odd - one would think the whole unit would charge as one.
LvD

That's the way French cavalry used to attack artillery in position by sending one or two squadrons in "fourrageurs" (skirmishers formation for cavalry) and infantry used to send one or two "voltigeurs" companies.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”