Auteur Sujet: Deploying Artillery as detached units ?.  (Lu 2842 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Deploying Artillery as detached units ?.
« le: 07 décembre 2009, 17:00:16 pm »
There has been a lot of talk about artillery deploying to far in front of the controlling Corps.

Maybe it's a idea to "place" tha artillery batteries as dedatched units to stop the guys going off to far in front, I have been trying to estimate the cannons ranges and measure that on the 2d map so you deploy the cannons within that range.

From the manual, which gives a fair enough idea of where to place the cannons if you have sight of the enemy.

The table below gives the firing distances for the artillery classes in the French army:
Class Maximum cannonball distance / Maximum grapeshot distance
12 pounds 1800 800
8 pounds 1600 600
4 pounds 1250 550
Howitzer 800 500

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Deploying Artillery as detached units ?.
« Réponse #1 le: 07 décembre 2009, 17:13:30 pm »
I've just been giving the artillery orders to attack a target, and they figure out the ranges themselves.  This mostly applies to detached or isolated batteries.

Hook

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Deploying Artillery as detached units ?.
« Réponse #2 le: 07 décembre 2009, 17:16:02 pm »
There has been a lot of talk about artillery deploying to far in front of the controlling Corps.

Maybe it's a idea to "place" tha artillery batteries as dedatched units to stop the guys going off to far in front, I have been trying to estimate the cannons ranges and measure that on the 2d map so you deploy the cannons within that range.

From the manual, which gives a fair enough idea of where to place the cannons if you have sight of the enemy.

Just a comment : the real value used are only a part of the maximum (I believe around 60%)
ie : When you send an order to an ART unit (A) to attack an INF unit (B), A moves forward before halting at around 1100 meters (60%)  if it's a 12£; A must see B, so sometimes, A has to continue its movement in order to open the fire.. maybe a problem for this last movement...

JMM