Auteur Sujet: Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps  (Lu 7475 fois)

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« le: 07 décembre 2009, 11:55:38 am »
I did some tests with the demo.
I chose to control both armies using the third tutorial OoB for one battle and the Montebello OoB for two battles.
For each side I chose 1 corps with roughly the same amount of men and same quality troops.
(However, the CC's had slightly different values)
All other troops of the army were put as far back as possible. The single fighting corps were positioned as far forward as possible and ordered to deploy on the enemy position. This results in the two opposing corpses to move on each other.
The idea was to observe what happens when single corps meet each other for battle, how they move and how they try to overcome the enemy.
All this without intervention of other corps.
I did 3 scenarios:
1. infantry corps vs infantry corps
2. infantry corps vs infantry corps with Cavalry support on both sides
3. infantry corps vs infantry corps with Cavalry and artillery support on both sides

In 1. both corpses clash, start retreat movements and clash again until the french prevail. What's interesting here is the duration of firefights, occasional bayonet charges, different tactics but also a bug that causes a russian unit to freeze in its position when out of ammo, while showing "Escape". All the while being shot by two enemy regiments from the flanks. Each volley of the two flanking regiments combined caused only 5 dead. It was also disappointing that the french didn't try to flank.

2. shows nicely how cavalry changes the battle dynamics, but also how it's wasted by the CC and is standing around doing nothing when it could easily flank

3. see 1 and 2 plus it shows how the artillery isn't being put to good use. The Cavalry deemed it nessecary to call in horse artillery support from the other corps. I tried to prevent that by detaching the called upon units and sending them back. One or two rounds may have been firered nonetheless.

Unfortunately, I can only view the replays by frame stepping, I can't watch them continuously. That may be because I haven't played the battles to their end. I aborted them after a while. false alarm.
Here's a link if you'd like to watch them:
http://rapidshare.com/files/317476081/Grognards_replays.rar

Maybe you could do some tests yourself, as I described above and report your findings here.

Ras

« Modifié: 07 décembre 2009, 12:43:41 pm par Ras »

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« Réponse #1 le: 07 décembre 2009, 12:03:15 pm »
When you said : "Using the third tutorial and the Montebello battle", you selected Solo Mode with the OoB of Tutorial...

yes?? In this case, the engine can't compute the casualties which are wrong.

I made a mistake because I forgot to disable the OoB tutorial for the solo mode.

JMM

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #2 le: 07 décembre 2009, 12:13:51 pm »
Sorry, JMM, I should've been clearer.
2 were played using Montebello, 1 (the third) was played using the third tutorial.
I know about the problems mixing the OoB of the tutorial and the battle.

Btw, after restarting the game, the videos run fine.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #3 le: 07 décembre 2009, 13:40:13 pm »
The single fighting corps were positioned as far forward as possible and ordered to deploy on the enemy position. This results in the two opposing corpses to move on each other.

It was also disappointing that the french didn't try to flank.

the CC and is standing around doing nothing when it could easily flank

I haven't watched the videos, but you might get some flanking action if you order the corps to deploy slightly beyond the enemy position rather than on top of it.

If you order them to deploy too far back, extra units will sometimes bypass the enemy corps they're fighting.

Hook

Hors ligne Taff

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« Réponse #4 le: 07 décembre 2009, 13:43:38 pm »
Corps V Corps
How do I do this please? Tried but can only move one side. Must be in manual but can’t find it thanks

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« Réponse #5 le: 07 décembre 2009, 13:50:44 pm »
Corps V Corps
How do I do this please? Tried but can only move one side. Must be in manual but can’t find it thanks

After you click on Solo, click on Mode to select which side to play.  One of the options is to command both sides.

Press C to change sides.

Hook

Hors ligne Taff

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Re : Re : Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« Réponse #6 le: 07 décembre 2009, 13:56:22 pm »
After you click on Solo, click on Mode to select which side to play.  One of the options is to command both sides.

Press C to change sides.

Hook

Hi Thanks for that It would not allow me to change unless I went  F7 options then change army there

Hors ligne Taff

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #7 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:06:13 pm »
Now found out that by klicking on flag 3d view will allow you do issue orders to either side

Hors ligne Taff

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #8 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:32:18 pm »
Also now found (I don’t know if I should say this) if you put full FOW on you can play hot seat

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
Re : Re : Test: 1 Corps vs. 1 Corps
« Réponse #9 le: 07 décembre 2009, 17:30:40 pm »
I haven't watched the videos, but you might get some flanking action if you order the corps to deploy slightly beyond the enemy position rather than on top of it.

The enemy corps each start at the edge of their deployment zones. Their targets are their opponents position.
Once I hit start each corps then starts to move to reach their enemy's deployment zone.
So, both corps start marching across the field.
After marching about 1 to 1,5 km they meet the enemy in the middle of the map.

Also, the purpose is to watch how CC handle the situation. I didn't do anything after the initial order.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #10 le: 07 décembre 2009, 17:44:55 pm »
I would like to analyse this battle.. Could you send the xxx.sav file (folder save/battle) to histwar@histwar.com

THX
JMM

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #11 le: 07 décembre 2009, 18:56:17 pm »
Sure, JMM.
I just sent them to you.

Kind regards.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #12 le: 07 décembre 2009, 22:40:55 pm »
I'm doing some 1 corps vs 1 corps in the same manner as described above - deploy both sides so they will meet in the middle - no further orders.

The French (well Polish) lancer units both speed ahead looking as if they are about to  charge the enemy artillery which is deploying. They march to within 250 meters of enemy artillery and stand there until the artillery fires and routs them. When they stop the unit info shows Disinclination which I'm guessing means they refuse/disregard an order because of the odds? If they refuse they should retreat and not just stop in front of the guns.

I will try the same setup a few more times to see if the behaviour is repeated.

LvD
Let no bastard pass the bridge!

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #13 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:33:38 pm »
I'll look out for this as well.

I'm guessing means they refuse/disregard an order because of the odds? If they refuse they should retreat and not just stop in front of the guns
Yes, they won't advance becasue of so many emeny troops in support of the cannons, but to stand still and be fired on is clearly not what we want, they should run away to safety - quickly !.

Hors ligne von Döbeln

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #14 le: 07 décembre 2009, 23:49:39 pm »
Exactly. ;) One of the charges above was even against an arty unit not fully deployed but they still refused and let the artillery deploy in peace and then routed after the first volley from the guns.

LvD
Let no bastard pass the bridge!