Auteur Sujet: Thanks for a delightful start. :)  (Lu 8915 fois)

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Thanks for a delightful start. :)
« le: 01 décembre 2009, 13:44:45 pm »
I got to kick up the demo last night and stumbled my way around the issues others here are identifying:  having to start the tutorial twice to get it to work; getting used to the controls; issues on screen resolution; units appearing to disappear in 2D until I hit F9 layers and they reappear; and so on.  And I've read the sequence of threads expressing disappointment that the enemy in the tutes just sit there as straw dummies, that the graphics are a little crude compared to the high-end games (but then this serves a far greater share of LGs demographic, no?), and so on.  After an extra visit this morning the system is far from intuitive yet. 

HOWEVER

I would just like to reaffirm how cool I think this game is.  I really started to enjoy the ideas in it this morning. 

Thanks. :) 
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne dippysea

• Sergent
Re : Thanks for a delightful start. :)
« Réponse #1 le: 01 décembre 2009, 13:53:03 pm »
If F9 fixes the disappearing units that sorts out a major part of my concern.

It should also be easy to fix programming wise

I know pressing F9 and layers didnt seem to do anything, but never tried it when a unit had disappeared.

I will have to give it a try when I get home.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #2 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:22:17 pm »
Harry, if you think the game is cool now, wait until you get used to the interface and figure out how to make the units do everything you want.  The game is really quite incredible and when it's finished and working completely it's going to be the best Napoleonic game ever made.

Hook

Hors ligne CountArach

• Adjudant
« Réponse #3 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:32:05 pm »
I concur with everything HarryInk said here. Though there were issues with teh Demo I still thoroughly enjoyed it and will likely spend more time on it before the finished product is released. Thank you JMM and co!

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #4 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:33:47 pm »
Well I like the demo, but sadly the regiments don't behave as they should, most of the time they just stand there doing nothing.

This is a demo only problem, so I'm looking forward to the full game

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:38:49 pm »
The game is really quite incredible and when it's finished and working completely it's going to be the best Napoleonic game ever made.

It should be so, the demo has surprised us all, in the wrong way, but when everything works as it should it will be simply the best Nap game ever, for those who want such a large scale detailed experience, those that want yet another TW game will say LG is rubbish.

Hors ligne Antonius

• Soldat
« Réponse #6 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:42:49 pm »
I've been visiting this forum for quite a while but now I just want to say that I concur with Harry's positive sentiment.  The demo does give us a glimpse at what the game will be capable of with all its depth and detail and I am very much looking forward to seeing the final product, however long it takes. 8)

Hors ligne _Cambronne_

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #7 le: 01 décembre 2009, 15:07:23 pm »
At first I was surprised about the demo which looked somehow unfinished...and I couldn't believe the beta testers didn't report the bugs. I just felt  the Demo was an early version of the Game. Now It is confirmed that the game itself will come with a complete version that will surpass the demo. All will be on us after that.If the game will sell enough to make JMM quit his job or whatever he does for a living and dedicate himself full time to the next versions,we'll have a better game or maybe even a perfect game pretty soon. So if you like the game buy it.If you feel it should be better,you can hurry a new better version or a patch by...buying the first release. So,whatever we feel about the initial game if we want a better one in a short ammount of time we have to buy it no matter what.  ...well...almost no matter what.   ;)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Thanks for a delightful start. :)
« Réponse #8 le: 01 décembre 2009, 17:17:10 pm »
It should be so, the demo has surprised us all, in the wrong way

My only real surprise was that the demo was released as early as it was. I didn't expect the game to be finished, although the demo was certainly possible.

And the game still isn't finished.  We've got a few bugs, and the AI isn't complete.  But it doesn't matter.  I'm finding the game quite delightful to play. 

I just fought the full battle as the French on grognard difficulty.  The battle unfolded about the way I expected it would.  I spent the whole time on the 2D map, where most bugs don't show up.  Did I have any warping or disappearing units?  Who knows!?  There was too much going on for me to tell.

In a way, it reminds me of another wargame I've played.  A great many of the details are wrong if you play through them on their own with nothing else going on.  But when it's all put together in a full battle the results are amazing. 

Just give JMM time to finish the game and all will be well.

Hook

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Major
« Réponse #9 le: 01 décembre 2009, 22:39:15 pm »
Dippy Sea, I think you'll be happy. :)

Hors ligne Malaspina

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #10 le: 02 décembre 2009, 11:13:25 am »
I'm with you on this, Harry. Delightful and comforting.

When BF cancelled the agreement a month ago I feared they had decided to pull out because the game was in a terrible state.

Now I'm sure we will have a playable and enjoyable game, if not this year, maybe next, when all the buggy behaviors have been sorted out.

Go JMM!

We gamers should all be very thankful that we have found a professional programmer who is also an expert in the Napoleonic period and knows what he's talking about (don't know if that can be said of CA and their TW series).
Napoleon BlownApart

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #11 le: 02 décembre 2009, 11:52:31 am »
Gentleman
There is a lot to understand to get the troops to do what you want, the Doctrine is an essential part of the actions of your command.
As I haven't downloaded the demo myself I dont know if the doctrine is their as yet, (it should be) but if it is you are going to have to tweek it.
Read the manuel and adjust it. Or experiment.
Just have to remember you are controlling bigger units now, instead just giving seperate battalions diferant orders. For you have to look to the deportment of your Corps or Army.
It will take getting used to. Experiment with Cavalry, use the terrain to create surprises. Surprises, can upset the morale of the enemy or of your troops.
Use the Tactical Bombing orders, and Resume and Halt Progression orders, as you see fit.
In the doctrine you will get to chose how to use your Cavalry, to pursuit, or not, do you want your infantry to pursue the enemy, after they run
There is a lot of scope in this.
« Modifié: 02 décembre 2009, 12:17:12 pm par gazfun »
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Major
« Réponse #12 le: 02 décembre 2009, 15:24:15 pm »
Haven't spotted the doctrine yet.  That'll be the reason to buy the full game then, will it?! :P  Ah, I'm such a long time fan of this machine that I'll be a 'gold box' bunny for sure.

Oh lucky Gaz.  You've been enjoying (?) doctrine for a long playtesting time.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #13 le: 02 décembre 2009, 15:45:12 pm »
I assumed the doctrin was at a "default" setting for the demo, which is 100% understandable.

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #14 le: 02 décembre 2009, 23:23:06 pm »
Ive just downloaded the demo, there is no doctrine editor in the demo
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester