Auteur Sujet: for the Betatesters  (Lu 19668 fois)

Hors ligne englishoo7

• Capitaine
  • 'The Bloody 11th'
Re : Re : for the Betatesters
« Réponse #15 le: 01 décembre 2009, 01:39:30 am »
I sort of feel a 'loyalty' to this game having waited so long. I must say though that much of what gunner has said is right. People are saying on other threads that the demo is different from the full game (though I havent read JMM saying that anywhere) because they have seen quite a lot of bugs. Surely this points to quite a few unsatisfied players? That said I have only read what amounts to constructed criticism, but it is still criticism.
I have played the demo a lot. There are certainly flashes of brilliance. Troops advancing. The control system is thoughtful and deep. A great amount of information all there easy to access. But...

I have watched 4000 cavalry leave the map showing 'escape' on their card after being ordered to attack some infantry without ever taking a casualty?

I have seen the enemy HQ ride agagin and again through my regiments?

I have watched 4 battalians all move into the same impossibly small space before routing?

I have  seen regiments just stand and stare at other regiments without firing a shot while cavalry way behind my lines in reserve suddenly charge ahead and attack?

Regiments dissapear and get stuck in the landscape?

All these things and quite a few more have been highlighted by other players. (they are not beta testers, they are playing a demo of the real game which is meant to entice them into buying it).

As I said there is a great game in there, a fa,ntastic game. I can wait I suppose for divisions to be implemented so I can order them individually and I can put up with the terrible musket sounds.  But all the other stuff is nothing to do with how my computer is set up, its the game! If this is the finished product then I will still buy it, I owe JMM I feel for all the hard work he has put in, and I will hope that these things are put right...

Some stuff I suppose I might just not fully understand yet? I just really hope it is just a buggy demo. As for patience, we have been waiting years and this game has been checked by the beta testers for some time... surely they cannot have just been watching in 2D mode??
... I really hope it is a bug infested Demo...
Once more into the breach dear friends...

Hors ligne von_Clausewitz

• HistWar Team - Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Capitaine
Re : for the Betatesters
« Réponse #16 le: 01 décembre 2009, 05:09:34 am »
I am a beta tester and have not seen any teleportations of units in the game for months, granted that i had not tested a lot in the last 2 weeks due to some personal distractions (work, family etc...)
I have not yet played the demo but it sounds like it has much more bugs than the actual game. I have not seen before units disappearing when fired upon like reported by many here.
There are still a few bugs hopefully to be sorted out pretty soon.
So patience my friends.

VC
La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #17 le: 01 décembre 2009, 14:55:41 pm »
Gunner24, I think a lot of people haven't figured out how to play the game yet, and when the game doesn't do what they expect, they have to wonder if it's a bug.  I've been there myself.
Yes, I'm sure your right, this is not an easy game, it takes more than a few goes on the tutorial to understand what's happening, but having said that there is clearly something wrong.

Some of the AI actions are too drastic, someone mention 4,000 cavalry leaving the battlefield without lose, now if that's not a BUG, it's still a fault, why would 4,000 cavalry that have not engaged in combat leave the battlefield, ok, some may say, well they did not fancy fighting so left, which may have happened in real life now and again, but do we really want that kind of feature in LG - assuming it's NOT a bug ?.

Hors ligne englishoo7

• Capitaine
  • 'The Bloody 11th'
« Réponse #18 le: 01 décembre 2009, 15:22:54 pm »
I can't help thinking that its great corps commanders think for themselves and react to events, but I would also like to send an order and have almost every one of them carried out! This often does not seem to happen... I wait and wait but nothing. I want to know that that Corps is going to go in no matter what. As has been put somewhere earlier, if Napoleon sent a command to attack the Corps commander would not just sit there without even replying! I see red arrows of advance appearing but when I check the plan a little later they are gone?
I wonder at this point if it is in fact me - that I don't fully understand the games' order system, after all you can run out of messengers? Maybe they all got lost or captured, although there were no enemy between me and that corps. Maybe it is just an issue with the demo? Will it be like this in the finished product. I really want to like this game, and whats more quite a bit of it I do.
I am a bit confused.com :?:
« Modifié: 01 décembre 2009, 15:28:32 pm par englishoo7 »
Once more into the breach dear friends...

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #19 le: 01 décembre 2009, 16:41:23 pm »
I am a bit confused.com
I think there's a few of us......this orders thing is my main concern right now.

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #20 le: 01 décembre 2009, 16:57:05 pm »
my main concern is units not attacking, the battles are very stataic, most of the time both sides just stand there and watch, very little actiualy happens

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #21 le: 01 décembre 2009, 17:25:56 pm »
Gunfreak, what exactly are you doing during a game?  Are you giving orders to your side?  Did you tell the game to have the AI play both sides?

Every game I've played, at least one enemy corps will advance.  This provides plenty of action.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #22 le: 01 décembre 2009, 18:02:19 pm »
I've seen the enemy advance several times, but some of this is again very strange, a couple of  examples I've seen today in the battle :

A single enemy Infantry Regiment advances from their Coprs straight into the French defensive line, they lose some men, then they wander about NOT routing and NOT retreating while the French stand still watching them and NOT even shooting.

An enemy Cav unit looks like it's about to attack my cannons but ends up walking though them doing nothing, then turning right and stopping for some time before moving off back home.....my cavalry nearby watch but do nothing.

It's these kind of things that are worrying most people who have been looking forward to this for years, if it's the AI at fault that works correctly in the proper game then we need not worry, but..........

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : for the Betatesters
« Réponse #23 le: 01 décembre 2009, 18:12:30 pm »
An enemy Cav unit looks like it's about to attack my cannons but ends up walking though them doing nothing, then turning right and stopping for some time before moving off back home.....my cavalry nearby watch but do nothing.

I'm not sure why the infantry thing happened the way it did, but I think I can explain the cavalary/cannon one.

I've got a screen shot of some French infantry marching *through* my unlimbered artillery unit with nothing happening.  It turns out that the artillery was part of a unit that was in a defensive line, and wasn't actually where it appeared in the 3D view.  The replay shows it as being limbered and behind some nearby infantry. 

If the enemy cavalry unit was more powerful than your nearby friendly cavalry, they wouldn't attack... they won't attack a more powerful unit.  The enemy cavalry might have been just weak enough that it wouldn't attack your friendly cavalry.

Or it could be a really nasty bug for JMM to fix.  I suspect some combination of that and all the above.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #24 le: 01 décembre 2009, 18:31:58 pm »
If the enemy cavalry unit was more powerful than your nearby friendly cavalry, they wouldn't attack... they won't attack a more powerful unit.  The enemy cavalry might have been just weak enough that it wouldn't attack your friendly cavalry.
Excellent, that makes a lot of sense, it's things like this that we are not used to.....but it could well be that neither side could commit to attack the other.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : for the Betatesters
« Réponse #25 le: 01 décembre 2009, 18:54:38 pm »
Each beta tester is free to talk about the beta test... Gazfun, Montecuccoli, Lodi57, after V Clausewitz.

I don't want to repeat the demo is not the best, with a lot of bugs there aren't in the game. It seems this kind of message isn't received.
I can't work on the game during this week, and I can't analyse the different issues. I can understand the bad felling... and I am really sad because it's not a feast.
Wait for a new release... That's all!

JMM

PS : Thank you to Hook for his support. I suppose his job is around the software development; it's a curious job; HW:LG is around 140 000 lines of source.. each bad character is a bug...

PS : a wagamer web site are shooting myself.. nice ;)

Hors ligne Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
« Réponse #26 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:07:42 pm »
Don't worry JMM, I think the majority in this forum support you and with the final version, I'm sure that everybody will forget the problems with the demo.  ;)

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : for the Betatesters
« Réponse #27 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:13:22 pm »
PS : Thank you to Hook for his support. I suppose his job is around the software development; it's a curious job; HW:LG is around 140 000 lines of source.. each bad character is a bug...

JMM:  I started my professional programming career in 1976, retired in 1999, and have been doing my own projects ever since.  My last job was for a game company. :)

As for supporting you, you are doing the game I always wanted to do.  Thanks!

Excellent, that makes a lot of sense, it's things like this that we are not used to.....but it could well be that neither side could commit to attack the other.

The hard part is, when we don't understand the game well enough, we never know if something is a bug or something we're doing wrong.  Just gotta keep playing to figure it out.

Hook

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #28 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:47:38 pm »
I had one hell of a battle.

I still have problems getting my units to actuly attack.

I did a two flank attack, the prussians and sweeds attacked the north against the bravarians. I orderd the prussians first then for the sweeds to link up an hour later. What happend was that the prussians started on their movie, but spent 3 hours doing nothing, just standing in the middle of the battlefield, the only thing they did was to spend EVERY SINGLE cavalry regiment on stand alone charges. After 4 hours a single unit of prussians attacked the bravarian line, naturaly getting shot to peices. The rest of the prussians just stood in the middle of the field far away, after some time they started sending 1 and 1 unit at the enemy with the same resaults, only after 7 ours did they try and acrodinated attack, but by this time they only had 2 units left.
The same happed with the sweeds, they did do a little more damige but still the enemy line had little trouble

On the southern flank
I sent the 20 000 austrians agasint the polish and french, the austirans to sent only a few units at the time ,spending most of it's time with in canister range of the enemy guns getting shot to hell.
I then though EVERYTHING I got at the flank, all my russian corps.
There was very little actualy fighting, but some how my units ran, againt they spent all their cav on nothing,

Finnaly I tok the village on the southern flank, but that was only with 1 units.
When the battle was done, I had only 20 000 left out of 83 000, and not a SINGLE cavalry unit left,
I have no ide why I lost all those soldiers as very little fighting actualy happend, I only saw 5 actual fights, and they were all single unit vs unit thing, there was never any cordinated attack on either side.

But some how lots of soldiers died, 7000 on my side and 6000 on french, pluss 15 000 wounded on both sides.
Something like 33 000 ran away on my side, while 23 000 french ran.

It was a very non battle, I never felt the corps actualy did what it was supose to do. No cordination on either side.

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #29 le: 01 décembre 2009, 21:11:43 pm »
This was only ment to show how the ai works in the demo for me, not critesism