Auteur Sujet: What were you expecting?  (Lu 15349 fois)

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Re : Re : What were you expecting?
« Réponse #30 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:17:04 pm »
Some people who would never have liked this game, no matter what, are having a fine old time saying it's no good, if the demo had been better that might not have happened, so for me I would have to agree, the demo needed testing, then the problems would have been seen and we would have had to wait a bit longer......as we might have to now anyway, but at least the "reputation" would not have suffered in some forums as it appears to have done now, a pity.

Which forums  :?:  ;)

I tried to explain this demo isn't really good because I built it with a big pressure... I have a heavy professional constraint during this week...

Right, I made a mistake... I uploaded this demo without test after building the install!
Now, it's like that, and my next task is to fix the bugs I added during the last 36 hours!
"Reputation" : I think I had a very bad reputation before; it's not my problem!

JMM 

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : What were you expecting?
« Réponse #31 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:20:44 pm »
I suppose any member of this forum is really interested in the game and will "hang in there" but if we as hardcore fans hold back opinions and stop pointing out issues, we might not get the game we want.

I agree completely.  I just think there's a difference between constructive criticism and bashing the game, the developer, and the testers. :)

After all, JMM has a Wish List thread.  And they really do need to hear about the bugs we find.  When people start taking bugs in the demo as a personal insult, and respond in kind, then things don't go well.  

Hook

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : What were you expecting?
« Réponse #32 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:30:50 pm »
Right, I made a mistake... I uploaded this demo without test after building the install!
Now, it's like that, and my next task is to fix the bugs I added during the last 36 hours!
"Reputation" : I think I had a very bad reputation before; it's not my problem!

JMM, it doesn't matter.  You could have tested it for a month and 5 minutes after the demo went online for download you would have discovered a major bug.  It's like a law; there's nothing you can do about it.  And people would still have found bugs.

As for your reputation, you will be known as the guy who made the first realistic Napoleonic wargame.

Hook

Hors ligne CBR

• Capitaine
Re : What were you expecting?
« Réponse #33 le: 01 décembre 2009, 19:32:57 pm »
And you have to admit, when things are working right, the game is pretty exciting.
The demo stopped working on both of my PC's so only had one full game. Apart from that and assuming all AI issues will be fixed I'm sure it can be considered a good grand tactical simulator. I expected more detail at the lower tactical end, that's all.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
Re : Re : What were you expecting?
« Réponse #34 le: 01 décembre 2009, 20:07:17 pm »
I expected more detail at the lower tactical end, that's all.

I agree. That and the lack of feedback makes playing the demo frustrating.
You never know why units win, loose or rout.
I also can't see if terrain, formation, troop type or quality make any difference.

Hors ligne Marshal Oudinot

• Soldat
« Réponse #35 le: 01 décembre 2009, 22:32:28 pm »
Well... just played as Army commander 4 corps, I really enjoyed this one, no problems with units vanishing this time, all corps followed the orders i gave! :smile:
The music that the regimental band played was really good, wow just like being there one could say, and the artillery fire was really awesome! loud and gratifying, cavalry was sounding the charge. infantry lined up and fired volleys into the Austrian troops.
After A while  ,several enemy battires where hit and set ablaze you could the palls of smoke swilling up into the sky :smile:

So all in all I think the Demo is a good start, yes there are things to address.....sure look at ETW still bugged to bits cant even load it LOL :lol:.....anyhow I for one support JMM and his team and will buy this game when most if not all bugs have been ironed out.

I think we ourselves have been our own worst enemy chassing JMM to complete this game come what may( myself included )....How ever things will be addressed and I have confidence in the Hist War team :smile:

« Modifié: 01 décembre 2009, 22:41:39 pm par Marshal Oudinot »

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #36 le: 02 décembre 2009, 00:03:01 am »
I agree. That and the lack of feedback makes playing the demo frustrating.
You never know why units win, loose or rout.
I have found this as well, it's hard to know why things are happening the way they are but I suspect as we get used to it some of things things will be become clearer, but some more information in the form of reports would be good.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #37 le: 02 décembre 2009, 00:47:12 am »
There is some information in the box at the bottom of the 2D screen, but you need to press I a few times to get it to stay long enough to read.  It's not much, but it helps.

The worst thing about fighting a battle in the game is that you can't figure out what's happening and why.  I'm hoping that will get better as we learn the interface.

Hook

Hors ligne british tommy

• Soldat
« Réponse #38 le: 02 décembre 2009, 01:40:54 am »
Well, I think most players understand the pressures JMM was under to produce this demo. He rushed it out to keep people happy.
I do think it is helpful that players point out any bugs they find. Some aren't bugs at all and this is where others step in and explain what is happening. I did a quick read of the various threads here and picked up some great advice. I suggest others do the same to overcome some of the problems encounted so far.
My personal view is, you have done well JMM to get this far with your dream. Stick at it and we will support your efforts when the final version is released.