Auteur Sujet: Lost in Les Grognards  (Lu 2179 fois)

Hors ligne Cyrano

• Officier HistWar
  • Adjudant
Lost in Les Grognards
« le: 29 novembre 2009, 21:45:33 pm »
I just watched the documentary "Lost in La Mancha" chronicling the horrors that Terry Gilliam went through trying, ultimately unsuccessfully, to bring his vision of Don Quixote to the screen.

Why mention this?  Well, because what JMM has created has the pontential to be one of the greatest wargames ever produced -- if it doesn't kill him first.

I just spent two utterly engrossed hours in the battle scenario included with the demo.  There are things in there that are utterly amazing to me -- I love the multiple views, the order overlays, the topography, the attention to uniform detail, the doctrine editor, &c., &c.  I think I squeaked a bit when I realized you can right-click in the F2 2-d view and get a top-down of the unit in question.

And yet there are unfinished bits all over the place...others here are already chronicling them so I won't pile on, but they're the bits that a full-sized TEAM would have been able to help him iron out.  I would note particularly in this regard that an entire screen within the victory calculation area (the victory calculations all by themselves are truly terrific) is still in French.

I guess I type this more as continued encouragement.  This game -- for the Grogs like me -- is probably a once-in-a-lifetime.  I'm almost WILLING it to work.  It's purchase was a foregone conclusion, but I want it to succeed so there can be many expansions.

Here's hoping.

And, oh yeah,

ROLL ON, JMM!!

And thanks for taking the hard run at the windmill.  As my beloved Gascon said to de Guiche:

"Windmills, if you tilt with them, may spin 'round their huge arms and cast you down into the mire...or up among the stars."

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we... -- The Whiffenpoofs