Auteur Sujet: Corps,Division and brigade.  (Lu 32595 fois)

Hors ligne Holdit

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #60 le: 07 décembre 2009, 01:08:13 am »
I believe it's because we're only playing battles now, not campaigns.  We'll play campaigns later when they're implemented.

Hook

You're missing my point: which is that wing commanders are not a campaign-only item.

Holdot

Hors ligne LegerDesOnheils

• Sergent
Re : Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #61 le: 07 décembre 2009, 13:58:19 pm »
Although in the game we can’t play at the strategic level yet we are fighting the battle that was the result of virtual strategy including lines of communication. Therefore wings and their commanders are very appropriate IMO.

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #62 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:23:18 pm »
You're missing my point: which is that wing commanders are not a campaign-only item.

Holdot

There is only one battle where French used wing commanders in the same battlefield : Leipzig (Ney, Murat). In Waterloo, the army (including 1st and 2nd corps) are under Napoleon's command.

In SP or MP 1vs1, wing commanders are useless because as a CinC you can give order to your CC directly. In MP with more than 2 players, wing commanders (meaning player that controls several corps) will be a human being so there is no need to be represented in the engine.

Adding that, representing wing commanders that coordinates several corps action would imply that it is necessary to implement an Army Group-AI.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #63 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:36:43 pm »
Could you give me a battle where we can find more 11 lines of fighting (sector)?
If yes, the model of HW is wrong for this battle...
If not, I think the model is right because you have to send an order to each group in charge of a sector.

For the future, when I'll add the 2 other AI (Division, Brigade).. I am sure this feature will be not used a lot...
If we build an Army with 11 Corps, 22 Divisions,44 Brigades, you have to control 77 entities... crazy.
That said, I don't say sometimes it's not interesting, but no sure this feature will be easy to use.
For beginning, I think the best is to get a good control on the game with only 11 groups
(generally speaking, 2 wings, 1 centre, 1 or 2 reserves... 5 groups minimum... 11 groups seem a big charge!)

JMM

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #64 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:41:17 pm »
For beginning, I think the best is to get a good control on the game with only 11 groups
I could not agree more, the whole idea of LG is NOT to get involved with micro management, I know being able to order Divisions and Brigades seems like a good idea, but it could over load things, how about Divisions only, after the Corps control is proven to be full proof.

Hors ligne Petrus58

• Capitaine
Re : Re : Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #65 le: 07 décembre 2009, 14:47:22 pm »
I could not agree more, the whole idea of LG is NOT to get involved with micro management, I know being able to order Divisions and Brigades seems like a good idea, but it could over load things, how about Divisions only, after the Corps control is proven to be full proof.

I agree also. I think it would be useful to be able to control divisions - when necessary - but no lower; too much temptation, when as Gunner24 says, we should be concentrating on the bigger picture.

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #66 le: 07 décembre 2009, 15:58:11 pm »
There is only one battle where French used wing commanders in the same battlefield : Leipzig (Ney, Murat). In Waterloo, the army (including 1st and 2nd corps) are under Napoleon's command.

In SP or MP 1vs1, wing commanders are useless because as a CinC you can give order to your CC directly. In MP with more than 2 players, wing commanders (meaning player that controls several corps) will be a human being so there is no need to be represented in the engine.

Adding that, representing wing commanders that coordinates several corps action would imply that it is necessary to implement an Army Group-AI.

Wasn`t it Borodino where Jerome was the left wing comander for the battle?

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Wasn`t it Borodino where Jerome was the left wing comander for the battle?

Eugene was placed on the left but he wasn't a wing commander, he just had the 4th corps under his command.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
Eugene was placed on the left but he wasn't a wing commander, he just had the 4th corps under his command.

Ok Napoleon was the commande, but commandig 4 corps, well then he is not a corps commander but something in between... :?

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Ok Napoleon was the commande, but commandig 4 corps, well then he is not a corps commander but something in between... :?

No, Eugene did not command 4 corps, he commanded the 4th army corps.

Hors ligne chops

• Lieutenant
Re: Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #70 le: 26 décembre 2009, 13:04:36 pm »
The hierarchy is from top to bottom :

Army : composed by several corps (max 11 in LG)
Corp : composed by several divisions (in general, less than 6)
Division : composed by several brigades (in general less than 4)
Brigade : composed by several regiments (in general less than 4)
Regiment : composed by several battalion (in general less than 6) or squadrons (for cavalry) or companies (for artillery)

In LG the word "unit" is used for infantry and cavalry regiments and artillery companies. It is the smallest unit in the game (battalions and squadrons cannot be separated from their regiment).

So to answer your question, the CiC will have 2 corps under is command.

Lodi57,

Thanks for explaning the Organizational Hierarchy -  Do you know the approximate number of men that would be allocated for each group in the French Army?

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re: Corps,Division and brigade.
« Réponse #71 le: 26 décembre 2009, 16:37:09 pm »
Lodi57,

Thanks for explaning the Organizational Hierarchy -  Do you know the approximate number of men that would be allocated for each group in the French Army?

It varies from period to period and it also depends on what mission Napoleon destined an army corps. You can have a good idea here : http://web2.airmail.net/napoleon/index.html