Auteur Sujet: Wish List  (Lu 174075 fois)

Hors ligne stupiddk

• Caporal
Re : Wish List
« Réponse #195 le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:45:56 am »
Hey JMM, I am pretty new here and I was curious as to the idea of removing or adding some new features to the UI to increase user friendliness?

Also, regarding the situation about dead, wounded, and missing units in battle. Is it going to be possible to mod the engine slightly to show all dead sprites on the battlefield, the wounded disappear, and the missing remain hidden? I just love me some carnage in the morning. :twisted:

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #196 le: 23 décembre 2009, 14:18:49 pm »
Improvement of the 2d map display to include the Regiment's formation, something like this :

1. Infantry in Line
2. Infantry in Column
3. Infantry in Square
4. Cavalry in Line
5. Caavalry in Column
6. Artillery LIMBERED
7. Artillery UNlimbered

Hors ligne FranzVonG

• Capitaine
Re : Re : Wish List
« Réponse #197 le: 23 décembre 2009, 14:35:32 pm »
Improvement of the 2d map display to include the Regiment's formation, something like this :

isn't there the other view to see those kind of things?
Lieutenant Franz von G., Cmdr. of the Lègion du Midi, 15th Division, IV Corps, Grande Armée.

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #198 le: 23 décembre 2009, 15:19:15 pm »
Gunner24, your new display for the 2D is a real improvement for the playability.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #199 le: 23 décembre 2009, 17:17:31 pm »
isn't there the other view to see those kind of things?
Yes, your right, there is another 2d view that shows the Battalions, I find that a bit hard to use, the formations are so tiny....my suggestion is to have the Regiments shown as per the pictures.  

If it were possible it would still fit on the 2d map if the "square" were the same size as the 2d Regiments are now, the lines/columns would be wider, and more narrow, with the little line marking the direction they face so you know it's a line or column.

Just a thought.

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #200 le: 24 décembre 2009, 10:56:59 am »
Gunner24, your new display for the 2D is a real improvement for the playability.

True but i would use them only on the easyest level, because then we change this game from a napoleonic simulation into something different. uncertainty was the base of every napoleonic commander and his decisions...

Hors ligne vonduus

• Soldat
« Réponse #201 le: 27 décembre 2009, 03:35:55 am »
This seems to be a great game, but the learning curve is very steep. Which is actually no problem, I have been playing all day, and am beginning to get a feel of the game. The UI is a bit awkward, though. 

I really like the idea of selecting units and menus by just hovering the mouse over them (no click!), good thinking!!!  But it was very, very difficult for me to learn to use the right mouse button to select units in the various list views, and then give orders with the left button, contrary to all other games. But in conjunction with the no click selection method it seems to be logically consistent, and I am beginning to get used to it, even like it.

I found out the hard way  that the most important view for controlling the action is the 2d screen. Maybe you should tell the gamers this?  I almost gave up on the game after trying for several hours to make things happen in the 3d view. In the tutorial and the manual you focus a lot on all the different possibilities the player has, which is  okay in a manual, but not in a tutorial. The information in the manual convinced me that this game will last for a very long time, because of all these possibilities. In a tutorial I think it is more important to show me just one way of playing a simple game, then I can study the manual to get the full depth of the game.   

But I still have one serious problem: The camera controls. I simply do not like to hold the right mouse button (or any mouse button) down continuously, I will just end up as a onearmed cripple. I know I can use the arrow buttons or the numpad, but they are kind of jerky on my computer. What happened to just pushing your mouse at the screen borders with no clicking, like every other game nowadays?

A minor problem is the zoom function, imho rolling the wheel backwards should take your helicopter up (like zoom out), while rolling it forwards should take it down (like zoom in). Please implement an option to customize this.

I am playing on a 1680x1050 display, so all my soldiers look  like  fat  dwarves, not to mention the horses. But I see that this is a problem only in the demo.

I am looking very much forward to the release of the final game. Keep up the good work, JMM, and don't let  any suggestions delay you. Get a working game out, and fix the problems and implement the suggestions with patches.

Lieber fünf minuten feig als ein Leben lang tod.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #202 le: 27 décembre 2009, 04:13:45 am »
But I still have one serious problem: The camera controls. I simply do not like to hold the right mouse button (or any mouse button) down continuously, I will just end up as a onearmed cripple. I know I can use the arrow buttons or the numpad, but they are kind of jerky on my computer. What happened to just pushing your mouse at the screen borders with no clicking, like every other game nowadays?

Every time I've ever used screen edge scrolling the camera has moved when I don't want it to.  I've tried to get used to it, but in the end I always end up turning it off.

The movement would be as jerky with screen edge scrolling as it is with the arrow keys.  You can press the V key to toggle a smoother movement, but this is not well implemented... it's like there's too much inertia in the camera.

I'd have done some things differently myself, but it's going to be the same problem with any game.  Every time I switch to another game I have to get used to the camera controls all over again. 

Hook

Hors ligne vonduus

• Soldat
Re : Re : Re : Wish List
« Réponse #203 le: 27 décembre 2009, 04:51:12 am »

Every time I switch to another game I have to get used to the camera controls all over again. 

Hook

Yeah, I guess you are right, I may get used to this also, if I have to. But on the other hand, you might get used to screen edge scrolling, if you really had to. I just hope that one day game developers will agree on some kind of loose standard, hopefully the one I prefer. But it is JMMs decision, and what he decides is what we get. I sure would like screen edge scrolling as a customizable option. My brain is very versatile and tolerant, my right arm is not.

Lieber fünf minuten feig als ein Leben lang tod.

Hors ligne abarlow17

• Adjudant
Question about music in the game
« Réponse #204 le: 28 décembre 2009, 02:25:44 am »
More of a request than a question however can we please get the 1812 Overture in the game (a version with the real cannons firing). I love this piece of music and it always seems to fit in well with this period (I have Crown of Glory Emperors Edition and its in that game and its really stirring  ;). Thanks.

[EDIT by DoE] merged from seperate topic
« Modifié: 28 décembre 2009, 05:38:22 am par Duke of Earl »

Hors ligne abarlow17

• Adjudant
« Réponse #205 le: 01 janvier 2010, 07:34:23 am »
Just another thought I would like to see some Track IR support for the commander view - would be very much fun with a Track IR (and would definately entice me buy the system. I know it will be way down low on the list of priorities however this would be nice one day :-)

Hors ligne abarlow17

• Adjudant
« Réponse #206 le: 03 janvier 2010, 05:36:07 am »
Just thought of another wish - on the 2D map (on the French side) - on the default view (not the more detailed view) would it be possible to change to main command flag to show the country it represents (e.g Polish/Warsaw etc..). It will show these on individual units when deployed on a defensive line however normally it just shows all Corps showing French (and Josef Poniatowski was actually born in Venice but was summoned by his uncle to Poland so he is not in the true sense French) and makes it hard to know which Corps are French and which ones are their allies. I would appreciate your consideration. Thanks.

Hors ligne nix

• Officier d'HistWar
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #207 le: 03 janvier 2010, 11:20:32 am »
My wish for simple UI improvement to assist orientation/navigation in 3d modes:

Whenever the corps card has a tick (in the central part of the UI in 3d mode) the associated corps flag in the UI minimap identifies itself somehow (gets larger or flashes etc).

second wish (slightly less important) an x appears in the minimap in the location of the individual unit which has a tick in the units card on the Ui. (Thus the minimap would show corps flag and unit location at a glance and you would see how far seperated the unit is from its commander on the minimap).

[EDIT JMM] done

Why?:

In the 3d view if you place the cursor over the flag of a corps commander in the UI minimap the info panel tells us which corps it is. The cursor can then be moved to the appropriate corps card (helpfully aranged in numerical order) to display its component units  Thus it is easy to answer the question 'What corps is in this position?' without having to move the camera to the corps location.

However,

if you want to know 'Where is corps x?' without moving the camera to its location you have to search the minimap with the cursor. It would be better if placing the cursor on the corps card caused the associated flag on the minimap to identify itself.
« Modifié: 03 janvier 2010, 14:15:26 pm par JMM »

Hors ligne Formaldehyde

• Capitaine
« Réponse #208 le: 07 janvier 2010, 17:08:00 pm »
It would be nice to be able to press a single key to get an overview of your orders in all map views (instead of having to go back to the F7 menu).

I also would like to have the "Nato" style icons available for the 2D map, as below (I thought I remembered seeing these in a HW demo video a while back?):

1. Infantry in Line
2. Infantry in Column
3. Infantry in Square
4. Cavalry in Line
5. Caavalry in Column
6. Artillery LIMBERED
7. Artillery UNlimbered

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #209 le: 07 janvier 2010, 17:39:29 pm »
It would be nice to be able to press a single key to get an overview of your orders in all map views (instead of having to go back to the F7 menu).

F8, hover the mouse over the double chevron in the orders section of the menu.  This only shows orders that have been received.  Might be nice to have an additional display that shows all orders, no matter what the status.  This display shows in all map views and in the 3D view as well.

I also would like to have the "Nato" style icons available for the 2D map, as below (I thought I remembered seeing these in a HW demo video a while back?)

Nato symbols are what you see in the default F2 view.  Did you have something different in mind?

Gunner24's symbols to show formation would be good, but would probably need unit facing as well, and you'd lose some ability to show additional information by changing the symbol in the unit box.  If you want the size and shape of the unit in formation, and the facing, press F2 a second time to get the alternate view with that information.  Toggle back and forth as necessary.

When I was doing this kind of stuff for real in a brigade headquarters, we had maps with plastic covers and would either tape plastic unit symbols on the map in the correct location or mark them in grease pencil using the same symbols.  No facings, no formations, just the location.

Hook