Auteur Sujet: Roads have no effect (?!)  (Lu 13057 fois)

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
Re : Roads have no effect (?!)
« Réponse #15 le: 16 novembre 2009, 18:16:46 pm »
I agree with JMM that an army did not use roads at the battle.As i walked around at waterloo you can clearly say if they would use the "roads" it would have been an endless trafficjam. If you don`t let them behind the slowest unit gives the army speed and only one narrow point slows down all movement.

Well on the big scale, Roads or what we call roads where important for supply, comunication and Arty.Also fixed points are very important cause you can send supply messages and units to it.
You can't say use your GPS and say move 1.5 km north and then 2 km west lol.

Fences, walls and other things that you can pass do 2 things to a units. They slow them down and they disrupt them. So they need time to reform. So thats all you basically need for the engine.

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #16 le: 16 novembre 2009, 18:47:57 pm »
But armies certainly advanced on strategic targets using roads - the Waterloo campaign shows this clearly - what was Quatre Bras about if not a fight to control the key junction of two roads? and Wellington chose to block the French advance on Brussels at the point where the main road ran up into the forest - and when the French broke and retreated they went back down the main road and jammed the streets of the villages, rather than simply spreading out across the open countryside. So whilst you can ignore roads for the actual fighting, they should play a key role in all movements leading up to confrontation and in any movements after a battle.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
Re : Re : Roads have no effect (?!)
« Réponse #17 le: 16 novembre 2009, 19:47:06 pm »
So whilst you can ignore roads for the actual fighting, they should play a key role in all movements leading up to confrontation and in any movements after a battle.

That's the reason why LG inputs "lines of operation" or "lines of retreat" if you prefer and give them a great impact on moral.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
Re : Re : Roads have no effect (?!)
« Réponse #18 le: 16 novembre 2009, 19:58:06 pm »
So whilst you can ignore roads for the actual fighting, they should play a key role in all movements leading up to confrontation and in any movements after a battle.

That's the reason why JMM said that roads have less importance for the battles (and Histwar is only about battles) but have a greater importance in a campaign mode.

Hors ligne D3m0

• Sergent
Re : Re : Re : Roads have no effect (?!)
« Réponse #19 le: 16 novembre 2009, 20:13:12 pm »
That's the reason why JMM said that roads have less importance for the battles (and Histwar is only about battles) but have a greater importance in a campaign mode.
There still are the Ratisbon Operations, but yeah, as being said it's only a extra at the moment.

Hors ligne dieseltaylor

• Adjudant
« Réponse #20 le: 18 novembre 2009, 22:53:17 pm »
From an 1818 English book on roads

By the 44th George. III. c. 52, justices at special sessions may fix the composition for statute duty within prescribed limits. By 13th Geo. 111. c. 78, cart-ways leading to any market town must be made, at least, 90 feet wide, if the fences will permit; and may be increased or diverted in other directions, by .two justices, at the expense of the parish, to the breadth of thirty feet, through or over any person's soil, even without his consent; so that the new way does not take away the ground of any garden, park, or yard, or pull down any building.

I mention it because 90ft is a considerable distance  - 27.43 metres . I assume that on the Continent that they may have similar size roads to account for herds of sheep, cattle, gaggles of geese plus farm vehicles.
For those visualising the distance 2 metres would be a wide car [in Europe]

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #21 le: 18 novembre 2009, 23:50:30 pm »
Something sounds wrong there, even a modern day FOUR lane road is not that wide !.

As far as LG is concerned, all sounds ok to me for roads.

Hors ligne dieseltaylor

• Adjudant
« Réponse #22 le: 19 novembre 2009, 20:59:54 pm »
I assure you it is not wrong. There is plenty of Case Law also if you wish to check.

I see a Victorian wagon for sale on e-bay at width 3.11 metres which I guess is 10ft. A diligence was over 9 ft. in the 18th century.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #23 le: 19 novembre 2009, 21:21:16 pm »
If it's right, it's right, but I can only assume this was some kind of 1800's super highway, and very much the exception to "normal" roads, I can not believe that all roads were this wide all that time ago.  Do we know where this road was and what it is like today ?.

If they were so big, an interesting question has to be : Why did roads become more narrow as time went by, if they really were 90 feet wide 200 years ago ?.