Auteur Sujet: New screens  (Lu 6465 fois)

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
New screens
« le: 07 novembre 2009, 14:44:53 pm »
Starting a thread concerning some new screens of the game

First one is from the Doctrine Editor. Many times you listen to units acting via the AI without the player intervention, well this screen can explain you why. And more important, you can even edit your own doctrine or mod it to make some 1700 doctrines (i would like to se a malburian age or seven years war mod for Hwlg  :smile:)

Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
Re : New screens
« Réponse #1 le: 07 novembre 2009, 15:21:23 pm »
Thats one thing I have been thinkng of.

Would love to de Minden(which I'm doing in miniatures now)
Or Blenheim

What would be realy cool would be the american revoluion.
But for that you would need to mod 1:1 figure scale, no fun doing battles with 600 models

Hors ligne Soldat Louis

• Major
« Réponse #2 le: 07 novembre 2009, 16:43:47 pm »
About the doctrine editor, there is on thing that remains unclear to me:
Do you design a general doctrine for the units of the whole army or can you also assign a specific doctrine to the units of one corps?
Let's say : for a light cavalry corps that you would like to use mainly for scouting, you may prefer to give a lots of initiative to your cavalry units. This would certainly not be the case for the light cavalry associated to infantry corps that you may prefer to keep ready  for instance to protect artillery.

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #3 le: 07 novembre 2009, 16:49:06 pm »
You may do a thing like that, just managing through attached units and detached units.

See the screen and you will see that detached units can have their own doctrine, so, let's say you will use massive light cavalry scouting, in the game you will detach the unit from the corp to allow a great freedom to the unit in scouting... so the detached unit will obey to the doctrine regarding the detached units and not the attached ones to Corps.
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne _Cambronne_

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #4 le: 07 novembre 2009, 19:12:11 pm »
I know there isn't long time to the release of yhe manual,but I'm just to curious not to ask it right now:will you be able to change the doctrine during the battle?For example your doctrine sais the cavalry should pursue enemy units,but in a particular situation you want to keep some cav in reserve,so you have to change the doctrine in order not to allow your cav to hurry upon the fleeng enemy.

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #5 le: 07 novembre 2009, 22:02:53 pm »
Nice :)

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
« Réponse #6 le: 07 novembre 2009, 22:06:01 pm »
I love how most of the page is in english but the commands are in French, just lovly, I almost wish it was like that in the full game, but it might be a little destracting.

What would be cool for the REALY hardcore gamers out there, was if you played russians, you had to read the whole game in russian, if you play austrian or prussian then the game would automaticly be in german, and if you played the french, well natuarly it would be in french

great way to learn languages

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Re : Re : New screens
« Réponse #7 le: 08 novembre 2009, 00:06:12 am »
You may do a thing like that, just managing through attached units and detached units.

See the screen and you will see that detached units can have their own doctrine, so, let's say you will use massive light cavalry scouting, in the game you will detach the unit from the corp to allow a great freedom to the unit in scouting... so the detached unit will obey to the doctrine regarding the detached units and not the attached ones to Corps.
Hi Montecuccoli
The other uses that I have been experimenting with is to have a Doctrine SET for differing types of strategies, for example I see this to be useful in a Campaign Game, Particulalry where there may need to be a slight variation to your tactical strategy based on a Grand strategic idea.
In the doctrine editor you can make up differant sets of doctrine based on the common tactics.
Like a "Assault" Set
"Defend" Set
"Echelon" Set etc etc
« Modifié: 08 novembre 2009, 03:06:49 am par gazfun »
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #8 le: 08 novembre 2009, 00:10:19 am »
I know there isn't long time to the release of yhe manual,but I'm just to curious not to ask it right now:will you be able to change the doctrine during the battle?For example your doctrine sais the cavalry should pursue enemy units,but in a particular situation you want to keep some cav in reserve,so you have to change the doctrine in order not to allow your cav to hurry upon the fleeng enemy.

The doctrine must be chosen before battle begins and cannot be changed during the fight. What you have to understand is that doctrine gives to units (cav /inf regiments and art companies) the way to react in a particular situation. Ex : you can decide that every light cavalry rgt that win a fight always pursue. This can be moderate via the odb editor in choosing the agressivity unit by unit : highly-neutral-low. But keeping cavalry in reserve or lauching it into pursuit only depends on orders given by CinC to his cavalry corps. Note that you can also micro manage (detached units) some cavalry units for particular events but I advise you not to use this system because detached units are less efficient than when they act gathered in corps.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”

Hors ligne _Cambronne_

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #9 le: 08 novembre 2009, 08:23:42 am »
But can I order my subordinate Corps comander to keep his cavalry with him after a succesful fight and not let it pursue the enemy? I mean if I can see that the retreating enemy is a trap and the cavalry would fall into that trap if it pursues the enemy I would want to give a my marechal a warning if not an order to halt his cavalry.He may do it on his own,but perhaps he cannot see the danger from his position,and since I have an overall view of the battlefield I can better estimate the danger and tell him how to act.

Hors ligne lodi57

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #10 le: 08 novembre 2009, 09:41:30 am »
But can I order my subordinate Corps comander to keep his cavalry with him after a succesful fight and not let it pursue the enemy? I mean if I can see that the retreating enemy is a trap and the cavalry would fall into that trap if it pursues the enemy I would want to give a my marechal a warning if not an order to halt his cavalry.He may do it on his own,but perhaps he cannot see the danger from his position,and since I have an overall view of the battlefield I can better estimate the danger and tell him how to act.

A battlefield is a large space with little place to hide corps in order to make ambush. Besides, cavalry is hard to ambush because of its mobility. So, you talk about a situation that rarely exists. Now if it does, it depends on orders you previously gave to your cavalry. When you give orders you determine a line of deployment, the corp don't go further but cavalry may engage any ennemy cavalry unit that comes within charge distance (this attitude is moderate by the degree of agressivity you gave to units cavalry) but when the fight is over, engaged units come back to previous line of deployment. Other case, if you ordered a cavalry corp to reach a deployment line and for any reason you want it to stop then you must send an aide de camp to order it to stop.

So, to avoid ambush I advise you to send cavalry reconnaissances to suspect places before moving your corps and to chose before the beginning of the game the right agressivity. In my opinion, the best is high for light cav, neutral for line cav and low for heavy. Despiste these good measures, like in real life , a cavalry corp commander will not let an ennemy cavalry taunts him without launching one or two regiments to punish it.
“Jamais d’aultres armes nous prendront, que celles que nous élisons ; et nous disons pour réconfort, nous voulons la liberté ou la mort !”