Auteur Sujet: Imperial Glory: didn't even bother to download it  (Lu 9571 fois)

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
Imperial Glory: didn't even bother to download it
« le: 04 avril 2005, 07:51:45 am »
Have you picked up a copy of Civil War Bull Run yet?  Its available to Europe thru this website http://www.navalwarfare.org/build/store.php?path=software/madmin
Might be useful as inspiration for Les Grognards.

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Re: Imperial Glory: didn't even bother to download it
« Réponse #1 le: 04 avril 2005, 09:11:35 am »
Citation de: "Hentzau"
Have you picked up a copy of Civil War Bull Run yet?  Its available to Europe thru this website http://www.navalwarfare.org/build/store.php?path=software/madmin
Might be useful as inspiration for Les Grognards.

Bonjour Hentzau,

I gonna assume that the above post was addressed to me  :wink:

I have had my eyes on that project for some time and it looks like a descent  wargame but the US civil war jus doesn't attract me much.

The game is available in Sweden too at a very fair prize. Unfortunately time is always a limit for me otherwise I would have picked it up. First prio is beta testing Les Grognard.  :wink:

I see in your subject title that you haven't even downloaded the IG demo. Just as good, the battles are not even playable since it lacks fundamental control features like command during pause.  :roll:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #2 le: 04 avril 2005, 09:32:51 am »
Bonjour Henzau,

No time to play... just to work on Les Grognards.
I know BR is a great wargame.. and I hope Les Grognards will be one too.

No offense about BR, but it seems myself BR is like LGAA. (but his graphics are better than LGAA ones  :lol: )

BR has a great potential... Just Norb and Adam have to add some features. (MP, PBEM, maybe a 3D engine, and some modifications about the GUI)

And Lars must ( :lol: ) work on Les Grognards as he said...

JMM

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #3 le: 04 avril 2005, 09:46:40 am »
No offense taken, I just play them don't make them. :wink:

Yes CWBR is like LGAA, but with better camera controls in addition to the graphics.  :wink:  Hopefully Les Grognards won't suffer from that same camera control as LGAA, I never could get past it with LGAA.  GUI for CWBR I find to be good.

Looking forward to LG as always!

Cheers!

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #4 le: 10 avril 2005, 18:21:51 pm »
The way that I look at, if it isn't Napoleonic, why bother?
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #5 le: 01 juin 2005, 13:38:38 pm »
Bonjour,

There is a demo out now for Bull run!

I have downloaded it and my first impression is that it's a good first attempt for the small team (working on their free time only  8O ).

I like that they have sub commanders that actually command their troops (just like Les Grognards), or as it said in the tutorial "the men doesn't run around like mindless drones".  :D

For a realtime wargame this is a must! Most (if not all) RTS games don't have this.  :(

The graphics is a bit backdated but I think the nice gameplay (which is more important) makes this game a must have for all civil war fans out there. I'm not one of them though since I'm into Napoleonics 100% . :P

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne saddletank

• Adjudant
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #6 le: 01 juin 2005, 15:13:25 pm »
I have the full game of BR and I'm enjoying it a lot. It is the most accurate simulation of real-time black powder warfare I've yet played on a PC. There is a good command structure and very good AI. I think the graphics are fine - 2D sprites based on images of 3D models but they work really well I think.

Given the depth of gameplay I just don't notice the 2D graphics, I am too involved in the combat and command decisions - compare to IG for example where the gameplay is so transparently thin that I found time to pick holes in the inaccurate uniform graphics when I first fired up the demo.

BR is fully open architecture and there are already some mods for it, mainly graphic ones plus a few gameplay tweaks. I wouldn't want to promote a competitor to Les Grognards on this forum but given some heavy modification it could make a nice division/corps level Napoleonic simulation.
Cheers, Martin

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #7 le: 01 juin 2005, 16:13:26 pm »
If there will ever be a Napoleonic mod, I'm interested.  :)

I have been burned before though. Engines made for other periods can't really handle Napoleonic tactics well. Especially square formations.  :(

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne sunray

• Caporal
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #8 le: 01 juin 2005, 23:53:26 pm »
Link,

I agree with all of your comments, and all the comments from everyone about the importance of having real (and effective) subordinate AI.

The Napoleonic era is always number one. But I also like the US Civil War. I try to be as well rounded a wargamer as possible. I am currently playing Blitzkrieg and Rome: Total War (with all their excellent mods).

Don't worry so much about a Napoleonic mod for BR. If Les Grognards turns out to be as good as I believe it will be (and as modable as has been indicated), a Civil War mod for Les Grognards (with Napoleonic features like the square formation removed) would provide wargamers with even more incentive to purchase it.

Or perhaps JMM has already made some plans in that direction (or even perhaps a number of other eras)...........

We can only but wait with baited breath to see what eventuates. For the moment I am waiting patiently for Les Grognards (only just, it is very hard).

kindest regards

sunray
 :D  :D

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #9 le: 02 juin 2005, 08:51:09 am »
Citation de: "sunray"

Don't worry so much about a Napoleonic mod for BR. If Les Grognards turns out to be as good as I believe it will be (and as modable as has been indicated), a Civil War mod for Les Grognards (with Napoleonic features like the square formation removed) would provide wargamers with even more incentive to purchase it.

You're probably right Sunray, it would better to mod Les Grognards to a civil war game than Bull Run to Napoleonic since it's easier to remove than to add things.
Question is how modable Les Grognards will be.  :?:

However Bull Run offer a little different kind of gameplay so both games have it's value (not saying that you mean they don't).   :wink:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne saddletank

• Adjudant
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #10 le: 03 juin 2005, 09:28:12 am »
If we are going to stray off topic...

Alongside the era of Napoleon my other favourite wargaming period is the era of Frederick the Great, say 1740-1770 in Europe. France's star did not shine too brightly during the Seven Years War but the uniforms are even more splendid than in Napoleon's time, tactics and formations still interesting, campaigning was quite different to the total war style of the 1800s and battles were small, often a major action of a campaign would see only 30,000 a side at most.

If we are talking mods for Les Grognards, then the above would be my first love.

Secondly I enjoy wargaming the wars in Europe in the mid to late 19th century: The various wars of Italian independence (1848, 1859), Austro-Prussian (1866) and Franco-Prussian (1870-71) wars are all fascinating conflicts. Technology has moved on a step but this brings a whole new slew of tactical problems to the battlefield.

That would be my No.2 wish for a mod :)
Cheers, Martin

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #11 le: 03 juin 2005, 10:08:47 am »
Les Grognard surely has potential to portrait any musket era (depending how modable it will be). I think even I can enjoy other battles than Napoleonic.  8)

My first choice for a mod would be American War of independence and the second would be the great Nordic wars.

...but only as mods 'coz I would like JMM to stay on the Napoleonic track.  :)

/Lars L.
Lars L.

AdamL

• Invité
Bull Run 1861
« Réponse #12 le: 09 juin 2005, 02:00:00 am »
There are some aspects of Bull Run which bother me. For example, being limited to fire only when in very close range, with rifles.  The rifle max firing range (in the game) is something like 170m, whereas the muskets can generally do between 120-150m.  I realize this is an "effective range" figure, but I'd like to be able to use the superior range of the rifles for something.  

Men don't seem to suffer from disorganization fast enough, maybe that's me not noticing, but a open fire at and advancing enemy infantry line at 90m or so should disorganize them plenty, if not send them back entirely.   As it stands, they usually can still deploy, move elsewhere, start firing, whatever, as if nothing had happened.  They take casualties, the info bar progresses, otherwise, all is dandy.