Auteur Sujet: Let's put the final polish on the English translation  (Lu 45070 fois)

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #120 le: 10 janvier 2010, 23:06:17 pm »
That looks great - I think it is as precise as can be under the circumstances.

A few typos:

"As we already outlined in section 4.1.5, the time to comple an order" - 'comple' should be 'complete'

"A Supporting Corps may be situated behind or to either side fo the Main Corps." - 'fo' should be 'of'

"He knows the strength of the Main Corp" - 'Main Corp' should be 'Main Corps'

The only other nitpicking thing is the sentence: "If a Main Corps is retreating, for example, its order will automatically transfer to the Supporting Corps in the rear, or, if none is present, to the strongest Supporting Corps on the flanks."

Previously, the term 'to the side' was used rather than 'flank'. Also, using the tense "is retreating" might make it sound like the supporting corps are also retreating - in effect, as soon as a Main Corps starts to retreat, the order will transfer. A possible change:

'If a Main Corps retreats, for example, its order will automatically transfer to the Supporting Corps in the rear, or, if none is present, to the strongest Supporting Corps to its side.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #121 le: 10 janvier 2010, 23:30:46 pm »
Thanks... this is why we have more than one set of eyes looking at the work.

You realize that "flank" was your word? :D  It used to be "lateral" etc.

Hook

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
Re : Re : Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #122 le: 11 janvier 2010, 00:26:10 am »
You realize that "flank" was your word? :D  It used to be "lateral" etc.

Hehe, yes. A Lack of precision on my part. When I said 'previously' I meant previous use of the term in the current document rather than previous versions. But such are the conundrums that fill my working day :)

I had also meant to ask: will DemoII incorporate all the in-game changes that have been made with regard to the text (order names, corrections etc.)?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #123 le: 11 janvier 2010, 00:52:20 am »
I had also meant to ask: will DemoII incorporate all the in-game changes that have been made with regard to the text (order names, corrections etc.)?

OH yes... I've been making these and testing them as I go along.  Full files sent to JMM at several points.

Hook

Hors ligne chops

• Lieutenant
Re: Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #124 le: 11 janvier 2010, 02:31:07 am »
Will the revised manuals - Book I and Book II be available for download also?

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #125 le: 11 janvier 2010, 03:09:07 am »
Eventually.  I guess that's another word for "soon". :D  

JMM needs to format them for the printer, and do whatever conversion is necessary.  They'll probably be up as PDF files about that time.  He's busy with the demo code right now, so it'll be some time after that.  Shouldn't be more than a few days at most.

It's about as good as I can get it, which means it's better than it was, but not as good as having a large team of professional writers with nothing else to do working on it. :)

Hook

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Re: Let's put the final polish on the English translation
« Réponse #126 le: 15 janvier 2010, 11:54:20 am »
OK, Volume 2.  I dare say these things have already been noted and/or it's too late to correct them anyway, but here's a couple:

p.10  1.1.4.3.  "Agressivity"  Fantastic word but should all be replaced by just plain old 'Aggression'

p.11  1.1.4.4.  "distinctive uniform elements: collar, sleeve,
lapel, lip and pelisse."  LIP possibly translates more correctly as PIPING?  

p.13: Effect of the commanding officer’s competence on his orders: the level of competence is used to calculate the response time of a corps in terms of the time it takes for an order to be drafted and executed.

p.15  So a Guard soldier is worth 1.3, while a simple infantryman is worth 1. In the game, that means that if two regiments confront each other – one defending, the other on the frontline – the latter incurs losses 30% superior to more thanthe former.

Actually, I think I remember reading that correction somewhere earlier, so I'm probably working over ground that's aready been dug, huh?
« Modifié: 15 janvier 2010, 12:24:03 pm par HarryInk »
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"