Auteur Sujet: Names on maps.  (Lu 8511 fois)

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Names on maps.
« le: 17 février 2010, 20:15:50 pm »
With the ability to place names on maps, which is excellent for "real" battlefields would there be any objections (for MP maps) not having real names.

In ntw2 (RomeTW mod) we had about 180 maps for MP games, so as to not use the same ones over and over again.....I'm starting work soon on a LG map pack (5-10 map) and wonder which is the best option :

1. Make maps without place names - not making use of the map making feature.
2. Make up place names - which is not as easy to do as it sounds unless things like farm1, village2 etc etc.
3. Use real place names on totaly made up maps - could be confusing.

I have already made my Marengo map with the correct place names.  All the ones I make will have a name "xxxxxxx" followed by nbc1,2,3 etc so that if two or more people make a Marengo map they won't be copied over when installed.....we could have 10 Marengo maps !.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
Re : Names on maps.
« Réponse #1 le: 17 février 2010, 20:35:34 pm »
With the ability to place names on maps, which is excellent for "real" battlefields would there be any objections (for MP maps) not having real names.
How can there be any objections? If anybody offers maps people will be happy to use them. If a point is reached where a lot of maps are released, those that people like and use will survive and probably bundled in any form.

1. Make maps without place names - not making use of the map making feature.
Will certainly be done, but lacks flavour in my opinion.
2. Make up place names - which is not as easy to do as it sounds unless things like farm1, village2 etc etc.
I think I prefer no name to Town #1. Making up names isn't a good idea, either, imo.
3. Use real place names on totaly made up maps - could be confusing.
I think this is the best option. As long as one doesn't use names that are already popular battle places, I don't see any problem. Being German, I can assure you that there are literally 10.000 of names I've never heard. Just zoom in close enough on Google maps and pick some up here and there, mix them all together. Nobody will know. Take the city of Hagen, for example, I think we have that one a dozen times or so. The word once meant sth like "place", so was commonly used. Same with other European countries. I think it will add some flavour. I for one would be fine if all I knew is that the battle is somewhere in Poland or Belgium.

Hors ligne DominiqueT

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
    • Les Monuments de l'Empire
« Réponse #2 le: 17 février 2010, 20:42:11 pm »
According to me, if they are historical maps, they should have the real names, otherwise, I don't see the point in making historical maps.

If it's just for playing, people can use random maps. Then, names are of no importance.
« Modifié: 17 février 2010, 20:45:12 pm par DominiqueT »

Hors ligne Count von Csollich

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
Re : Re : Names on maps.
« Réponse #3 le: 17 février 2010, 20:50:55 pm »
According to me, if they are historical maps, they should have the real names, otherwise, I don't see the point in making historical maps.

If it's just for playing, people can use random maps. Then, names are of no importance.

I totally agree...
Concerning random maps, which I think is what Gunner intended to ask...
I prefer no names to Town#1 and also to weird/made-up names...otherwise we'll end up with the "Hoth-system" and any Atlantian moons....or Springfield even... :mrgreen:

CvC
"parcere subiectis et debellare superbos", Vergil

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #4 le: 17 février 2010, 20:51:23 pm »
Gunner24,  if it is historical then real names otherwise names from your imagination are my liking.

GP.

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Re : Names on maps.
« Réponse #5 le: 17 février 2010, 21:04:16 pm »
I prefer no names to Town#1 and also to weird/made-up names...otherwise we'll end up with the "Hoth-system" and any Atlantian moons....or Springfield even... :mrgreen:CvC

Of course, if I understand correctly your english (it is not your english it is my understanding. Don't be confused, mate  :smile:), names have to "smell" his geographical european or North african (about Egyptian campaign) names. Undoubtly!

GP.

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #6 le: 17 février 2010, 21:06:27 pm »
names have to "smell" his geographical european or North african (about Egyptian campaign) names. Undoubtly!

Oh yes...thank you...I totally agree... :mrgreen:

CvC

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #7 le: 17 février 2010, 21:40:29 pm »
I thin we're only talking about random or custom made maps. Nobody wants to make a historical map and use other place names than the historical ones.
For example:
Bavaria: Luckenpaint, Stadlhof, Obersanding, Untersanding
Poland: Jacochow, Pszczonow, Stornkow, Retniowiec
Belgium: Everbeek,  Zarlardinge, Deftinge, Parike

max. 5 mins of google maps

Hors ligne GrosPaul

• Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #8 le: 17 février 2010, 22:31:17 pm »
Raz, if I understand correctly, we are on the same wave length:

- Historical map --> historical names;

- Random map --> names consistent with his geographical area.

A trustworthy summarize? :-)

GP.

Hors ligne Ras

• Chef de Bataillon
  • MizuRas
« Réponse #9 le: 17 février 2010, 22:40:35 pm »
Qui, absolument.  :smile:

• Officier HistWar
  • Colonel
« Réponse #10 le: 17 février 2010, 22:45:18 pm »
très bien mon chef de bataillon!

We might get international after all... :mrgreen:

alors, je vous souhaite une bonne soirée

CvC

PS: I didn't have the intention to help continue moving away from the actual topic  :oops:
« Modifié: 17 février 2010, 22:51:36 pm par Count von Csollich »

Hors ligne Montecuccoli

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
« Réponse #11 le: 17 février 2010, 23:16:50 pm »
For Random Map you should even use Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta...and so on.. not that good but they are neutral.

Anyway if you want to make some maps to be used mainly for MP i suggest to make historical maps with historical names... just 10-20 of them is a good start to make an MP match just saying :"Hey let's battle in Eckhmul".. it has a different feeling  :smile:
Histwar beta tester

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #12 le: 18 février 2010, 00:27:19 am »
Just zoom in close enough on Google maps and pick some up here and there, mix them all

I did think of this after I made the post. 

To be clear I'm a bit wary of making historical maps as it's hard to make them of very high quality, I will do one or two, but not many, these will have the correct named places on them.

I don't like truly "random" maps, so my maps will be made like I made over a 100 for ntw2, that is to make points of interest and with a good MP balance to them.

It's good to see so much interest in map making.  I'm wondering if to wait for the patch before I start.....I have Marengo finished and others drawn on paper ready to start.

Hors ligne Hook

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateurs
  • Général de Brigade
« Réponse #13 le: 18 février 2010, 01:21:00 am »
Major terrain features should have names, always.  Towns, lakes, even major hills if nothing else is nearby.  You never know what these names will be used for at some point down the road.  There will come a time when the names will have to be added by someone else if you don't add them yourself.

If nothing else, think of it as roleplaying.  "General, take and hold the town of Gertzwattel."  If you didn't have a name, what would you say instead?

Hook

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #14 le: 18 février 2010, 14:39:09 pm »
Good point Hook, hills, woods and other things will be a lot better with names....I'm off to add some now !.