Auteur Sujet: Artillery in LG: bouncethrough and area fire... Does LG have 'beaten zones'?  (Lu 5265 fois)

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
I've been playing some miniatures recently with the William Keyser 'Valmy to Waterloo' rules.  They have a really nice feature for miniatures which is a firing template that you hold over an artillery battery's target.  Anything under the template gets hit to the same effect.  So, packing units together, as often happens in miniatures rules, becomes a very bad idea.  Spacing them out historically is encouraged!

I'm used, in most other miniatures rules sets, to artillery fire not creating a 'beaten zone' but having pin-point accuracy and hitting only single targets, usually without depth.

I'm wondering what LG's approach is.  Do batteries fire at single units (eg. a battalion)?  Will another unit right behind the first feel any heat?  Or does artillery fire have a beaten zone?  (off to check the manual....)
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
I would very much hope (and expect) that if a cannon is firing on a Battalion, and there is another one right behind it, that both will be hit, as in EmpireTW - a cannon ball can go though many ranks of different formations, one behind the other.

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
I belive it has been said that shots does infact bounce though, and I would expect nothing less from this game

Hors ligne Pariente

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • Ἐργάζομαι καλοκάγαθικῶς. J'agis avec probité.
    • La Division Infernale !
I belive it has been said that shots does infact bounce though, and I would expect nothing less from this game

Right. That's the reason why artillerymen used to opt for very small angles so that cannonballs may bounce after a first hit.

But a loose soil may prevent the ball to bounce and I do not know if HW:LG takes it in account.

Hors ligne Gunfreak

• Capitaine
I think it does, the soil has it's own calculations, like if you have 30 000 soldiers and horses marching back and fourth over the same peice of dirt, it will get detroyed and if it rains, the soil will turn to mud, and the next guys marching over the soil will move slower, so I think the soil aslo acts on cannon shot

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Ain't it lovely!

Just been reading Arnold's 'Crisis in the Snow'.  Lots of descriptions of how the armies in Poland chewed the roads into mud.
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"