Auteur Sujet: Symbolic View  (Lu 11014 fois)

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
Symbolic View
« le: 04 juin 2005, 03:29:58 am »
Hello,

Here some screenshots of the GUI (under construction)

Basic principles...  Left Click on an object opens a contextual menu...  An object can be an entity (Army, Corps, Unity) or an element (essentially the 2 rows of black bullets for the 3D View)

Entity can be presented by the 3D soldiers , the 3D symbolic figures, the 'NATO' graphic in 2D view.. but also some texts relating to unities..  It is thus possible to send orders in almost all the presentation methods of this GUI...  

Right Click allows moving the camera..(3D symbolic, mini map, 3D view)'.  

Right Click on a unity moves the camera on this one.  

These screenshots do not represent the final version.. textures, colors are to finalize and some elements must be adjusted..

Questions  :?:
Comments   :?:

JMM

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Symbolic View
« Réponse #1 le: 04 juin 2005, 05:28:56 am »
Wow.

JMM, you blow me away.  Keep at it my friend.

Except for the French, it seemed VERY clear about what it is meant to provide.

Rick
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne Beren

• Officier d'HistWar - Duc de Tavarela
  • Modérateurs
  • Lieutenant
Symbolic View
« Réponse #2 le: 04 juin 2005, 10:04:08 am »
Simply perfect  :wink:

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Symbolic View
« Réponse #3 le: 04 juin 2005, 10:13:19 am »
Very Nice indeed!  :D

I just like to add that in the 3D symbolic view you can move the camera up and down also with the mouse wheel or [Pg Up]/[Pg Dn] on  the keyboard.  :wink:  

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Symbolic View
« Réponse #4 le: 04 juin 2005, 10:22:46 am »
Citation de: "Beren"
Simply perfect  :wink:

Almost.  8)

As JMM says it'n not finalized yet. I would have changed the 3D wooden boxes for the units to either 3D nato symbols (colored) or perhaps a 3D soldier. A cuirassier if it's a cuirassier regiment for instance.

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Rosen

• Officier HistWar
  • Adjudant
Symbolic View
« Réponse #5 le: 04 juin 2005, 23:23:27 pm »
Hey all

This is simply perfect, I get eager to join the action....

Hors ligne saddletank

• Adjudant
Symbolic View
« Réponse #6 le: 06 juin 2005, 14:05:18 pm »
Looking very nice, I like the whole feel and atmosphere of the graphics, they look almost old and Napoleonic in style, not modern at all. In that respect then yes, some sort of figure representation rather than a NATO symbol would be more in character.

Do be careful with the script type font, it isn't the easiest font to read and the GUI can get quite fussy when it's used a lot. Perhaps you can track down another 'handwritten' type font that has a cleaner layout?

Wooden crates for the units looks peculiar. I thought they were buildings at first! Perhaps just make them a different colour to the buildings - blue for French, white for Austrian, green for Russian, etc. The 3D buildings might look a little livelier and less dull if you made teh walls white/pale grey and the roofs a red tile colour.

The brown of the map contours looks like old parchment which I like but it does give quite a dry dusty feel to the game. Have you tried using graduations of green?

But on the whole it's really nice and the GUI is definitely clear what it's doing.
Cheers, Martin

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Symbolic View
« Réponse #7 le: 06 juin 2005, 15:55:46 pm »
Hi Martin,

The font you can choose to be more read friendly and the contour colors can also be altered.

Look at my Borodino 2D map:

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne saddletank

• Adjudant
Symbolic View
« Réponse #8 le: 06 juin 2005, 21:14:09 pm »
Great, thank you Lars. That works well for me.
Cheers, Martin

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
Re: Symbolic View
« Réponse #9 le: 18 juin 2005, 06:32:40 am »
Citation de: "JMM"

Unity can be presented by the 3D soldiers , the 3D symbolic figures, the 'NATO' graphic in 2D view.. but also some text relating to unities..  It is thus possible to send orders in almost all the presentation methods of this GUI...  

Questions  :?:
Comments   :?:

JMM

I REALLY like that 3D symbolic view. Can the game be played in the 3D symbolic view instead of the actual 3D version for people with old computers?  That 3D symbolic view is what people that make plain old hex based games should have at least moved to by now. LOL Will the boxes/unit counters change shape to reflect formation changes in the symbolic view, sort of like Black Powder Wars at Matrix is going to do?  This 3D symbolic view looks sort of like where the Fields of Strategy guy was wanting to go with his game http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/

I'd be happy if most wargame makers just moved up to this 3D symbolic view.
 :wink:

See ya at ---------.  :wink:  :wink:

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
« Réponse #10 le: 18 juin 2005, 10:46:08 am »
Citation de: "Hentzau"

Can the game be played in the 3D symbolic view instead of the actual 3D version for people with old computers?  :wink:

Yep, you can play with this 3D symbolic view, and the symbol modifies their form (but only line/column, maybe the square)...

There will be an option to disable the 3D perspective view with 3D soldier, and this configuration will be for the 'light configuration' :wink:

JMM

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
« Réponse #11 le: 19 juin 2005, 04:48:11 am »
Citation de: "JMM"

Yep, you can play with this 3D symbolic view, and the symbol modifies their form (but only line/column, maybe the square)...

JMM

English Squares has an easy way to modify the symbols for line, column, and square. You might check that out if interested http://www.fullerdata.com/EnglishSquares/

Hors ligne Hentzau

• Adjudant
Symbolic View
« Réponse #12 le: 19 juin 2005, 04:50:58 am »
Citation de: "Link"
The font you can choose to be more read friendly and the contour colors can also be altered.

/Lars L.

read friendly is a good thing.  :D