Autore Topic: Wanting to buy this game....How difficult of a learning curve does it have, etc?  (Letto 6809 volte)

Offline Stefos

• Caporal
Hi all,

I was thinking about purchasing this game due to it's awesomeness HOWEVER:

I don't know if the manual will assist in the massive undertaking which is this game.

I myself know something of the various armies of this time period but I don't know it all.

Can someone assist me in understanding if this is a right game for me?

Thanks and much obliged!
Stefos

Offline gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
O think the best way is to playing the various battle the Demo offers, that will get you into the start of it.

Depends on what you have played before, as a base to start from.

As a massive undertaking Im not sure that it is really the case, only perhaps as what is in your own mind set, to really undertsand your question
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Offline AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
Hi all,

I was thinking about purchasing this game due to it's awesomeness HOWEVER:

I don't know if the manual will assist in the massive undertaking which is this game.

I myself know something of the various armies of this time period but I don't know it all.

Can someone assist me in understanding if this is a right game for me?

Thanks and much obliged!
Stefos

I'd say it's not really a game but more of a simulator.  It stands head and shoulders above anything out there and is as shallow/deep as your own imagination.  As for learning the mechanics, well it's not an Arcade game but with application the controls are quickly learned

Offline Stefos

• Caporal
@Gazfun & AJ,

Thanks for your input!
Yes, I realize what you're saying guys.

The game interface in the demo is not the current build, is it?
Furthermore, How do I access meaningful information to make sense of this game without the manual or
David Chandler's "Campaigns of Napoleon" which I do own mind you!

My concern is this:  Does the manual and "cards" , whatever they are called, facilitate learning this game/simulator?
If this is a heady simulator for Napoleonic die-hards who simply must understand the ins and outs.........I'm out.

I do understand, by the way, that any time period warfare IS complex.

Thanks again guys,
Stefos

Offline Darsh

• Chevalier HistWar
  • Général de Brigade
  • 1re Division de Cavalerie
Histwar is easy to learn but difficult to master!

Offline Franciscus

• Colonel
Héllo Stefos.

The manual is useful, but not essential, IMHO. For instance, the new interface is not covered in the current manual but I had an easy time adapting to it. As to the cards, they are beautiful, but I have them tucked away, and rarely if ever use them or need them, really  ;)

You also do not need to be a "die-hard" to appreciate this game. I do not consider myself one. You can play and enjoy, understanding just the basic, common sense differences between ART, INF and CAV, and a couple of key concepts, namely:
- Although you can micromanage each and every unit, the objective in this game is playing as a commander, ordering groups of units (corps), according to a strategic plan of your responsability, and then hoping for the best - and knowing when and how to react to your opponent, when to use your reserves, etc, like a real commander.
- Also, your units will not do foolish, unrealistic things: CAV will not charge a square, INF will not charge CAV, most INF vs INF combats will end with the rout of one or both units, even before contact, etc, very differently from other games like total war.

Hope this helps

Regards
« Ultima modifica: 21 Ottobre 2011, 10:05:10 am da Franciscus »

Offline gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Héllo Stefos.

The manual is useful, but not essential, IMHO. For instance, the new interface is not covered in the current manual but I had an easy time adapting to it. As to the cards, they are beautiful, but I have them tucked away, and rarely if ever use them or need them, really  ;)

You also do not need to be a "die-hard" to appreciate this game. I do not consider myself one. You can play and enjoy, understanding just the basic, common sense differences between ART, INF and CAV, and a couple of key concepts, namely:
- Although you can micromanage each and every unit, the objective in this game is playing as a commander, ordering groups of units (corps), according to a strategic plan of your responsability, and then hoping for the best - and knowing when and how to react to your opponent, when to use your reserves, etc, like a real commander.
- Also, your units will not do foolish, unrealistic things: CAV will not charge a square, INF will not charge CAV, most INF vs INF combats will end with the rout of one or both units, even before contact, etc, very differently from other games like total war.

Hope this helps

Regards
Oh yeah nothing like TW but more historical
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Offline Stefos

• Caporal
Hi again everyone!

Finally back after some time.

Two more questions about this game please before I buy:

1.  I have Windows 7 professional 64 bit......Windows 8 is on its' way out later this year or early next.
Insofar as Win 7 is concerned, Will L.G. run on it?........Any info about Windows 8 running it? (speculations..)

2. What about graphic overhauls to the game however?  Not that THAT is the maker/breaker of the game/simulator.

If I buy the current L.G. game, How do I know that newer graphics  won't be released on a newer build of the game?

Sorry for sounding whiney, but the game is in Euro not dollars and no one I know owns it.  Again, my apologies.

Tre bien e merci!
Stefos

Offline JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
1.  I have Windows 7 professional 64 bit......Windows 8 is on its' way out later this year or early next.
Insofar as Win 7 is concerned, Will L.G. run on it?........Any info about Windows 8 running it? (speculations..)
No problem with XP/Vista/Windows7 32/64 bits. Probably LG will run on W8... otherwise I'll adjust.

Citazione
2. What about graphic overhauls to the game however?  Not that THAT is the maker/breaker of the game/simulator.
If I buy the current L.G. game, How do I know that newer graphics  won't be released on a newer build of the game?
No charge for the new version. BTW, we are working on a new terrain  ;)

For US, the price is around $43 for the version "Chappe"

JMM

Offline Stefos

• Caporal
Hi everyone,

I just ordered the game/simulator...Napoleon pack.

I chose regular shipping to the U.S.  Does anyone know how long it'll take via regular shipping?

Thanks,
Stefos

P.S. I want to rock this game!  Owww! :)

Offline Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
Citazione
Histwar is easy to learn but difficult to master!
This is the best quick description. 

I hope you enjoy it when it arrives.