Auteur Sujet: Understanding scale  (Lu 3019 fois)

Hors ligne Uxbridge

• Chef de Bataillon
Understanding scale
« le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:11:16 am »
I am finding it hard to relate the size of the units shown in the 3d view to the number of men they represent. Guns are shown 1 to 1 but other units are 10:1. So when you see a regiment of 2000 men, depicted as 200, advancing on 10 guns, how do we understand this? Does it mean that the area occupied by the regiment is accurate and each image of a soldier stands for 10? or does the regiment really occupy 3 times the width and 3 times the depth?

If LG was to be scaled up to 1:1 then where would all the extra figures go? Is this why there is a lot of space between each regiment and why we sometimes have the warning that there is insufficient space for a unit to maneouvre?

And finally, how do the depictions of trees and buildings relate to the scale? They appear to be 1:1, and yet the spaces inside the villages are huge - in reality of course village streets were narrow, winding and easily blocked by a single wagon.
Has anyone seen my leg?

Hors ligne CBR

• Capitaine
Re : Understanding scale
« Réponse #1 le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:17:16 am »
If it was 1:1 scale then the soldiers would be smaller and the line formation would also be more tight than the rather loose ordered line formation used in LG.

A regiment with a two battalion frontage should take up around 300 meters frontage so frontage and distance scale is correct, just not the actual size of the soldiers as they are larger than real life.

edit: if there is one potential issue with scale then it is the frontage taken up by smaller sized units. I'm not sure if two battalions will always take up same frontage in LG, afterall there is a difference between 1000 men battalions and 400 men battalions in real life.

CBR
« Modifié: 23 décembre 2009, 11:28:30 am par CBR »

Hors ligne Regiment 0

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #2 le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:23:41 am »
As I understand it, the unit frontages are realistic in terms of distance occupied (not sure about unit depth).

If it was scaled 1:1, I imagine the frontages wouldn't change but the soldier symbols would become much smaller.

And how does that relate to the terrain? The terrain and terrain features I think are heavily abstracted. For the purposes of computing combat, all villages have four access points rather than being modelled as accurate representations, so the space inside them is meaningless. Also, forests, for example, occupy a realistic area with regard to the frontage sizes of units, but are represented by far fewer and bigger trees than would be the case in a 1:1 scale.

Hors ligne stupiddk

• Caporal
« Réponse #3 le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:40:23 am »
I find the loss of troops under the current 10:1 scale odd. For every 10 men that go missing, killed or wounded, a single sprite drops. Whereas in TC2M, every dead sprite is shown on the field and all wounded disappear with the retreating troops running to the edge of the map and disappearing. So for the interest of seeing real carnage, can we simply mod HistWar to show all the dead sprites without removing the current 10:1 scale ratio?

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #4 le: 23 décembre 2009, 11:55:15 am »
If it was scaled 1:1, I imagine the frontages wouldn't change but the soldier symbols would become much smaller.
Oh no, not even smaller, they look a bit too small already.

Is this why there is a lot of space between each regiment and why we sometimes have the warning that there is insufficient space for a unit to maneouvre?
I have wondered why there is so much space between Regiments when in Columns, is it because it needs the room to deploy into line ?.....and the lines are very wide compared to the Column ?.

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
« Réponse #5 le: 23 décembre 2009, 13:04:49 pm »
I have wondered why there is so much space between Regiments when in Columns, is it because it needs the room to deploy into line ?.....and the lines are very wide compared to the Column ?.

yes gunner,

IF you don`t have space only a few muskets can fire and a lot spldieres get hit.

a lineformation of 2 makes only sens if you got the space for it otherwise the enemy got more guns on you cause of his 3rd line ;)