Auteur Sujet: New Screenshots  (Lu 9105 fois)

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
    • http://www.histwar.com
New Screenshots
« le: 11 mai 2005, 03:22:04 am »
French Cuirassiers..

The distinctives aren't colored in these screenshots.

And some infantrymen...

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
New Screenshots
« Réponse #1 le: 11 mai 2005, 08:42:30 am »
Bonjour,

My complements to Laurent.  :D

I like the new hands! The faces are not as cartoony as before and the new cuirass looks good. The French Cuirassiers happens to be my favourite cavalry unit.  :wink:

Nice to see the skirmishers in front in the infantry screenshots.  :D

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne saddletank

• Adjudant
New Screenshots
« Réponse #2 le: 11 mai 2005, 13:54:46 pm »
Very nice, as Lars says the cuirasses are looking especially good now and I like the musket and gunsmoke as well. One thing that does strike me is the un-natural brightness of the flags which stand out against the colour of the rest of the scene, making them look a bit unrealistic. Is this because they are unit 'handles' highlighted to show a selected unit?

Also is it a lot of work to make the ranks and files slightly irregular to give them that 'human' look rather than a prefectly dressed 'machine' look?
Cheers, Martin

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
New Screenshots
« Réponse #3 le: 11 mai 2005, 14:11:41 pm »
You are right about the flags...
Les Grognards is in construction... and all isn't finished... like the flags.

These ones must be improved... (the size isn't right too.. and it will be modified with the distance to have a good gameplay...)

BUT Les Cuirassiers are finished (only the distinctive colors aren't painted on these screenshots)...

JMM

Hors ligne Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
New Screenshots
« Réponse #4 le: 11 mai 2005, 16:17:16 pm »
They are wonderful, JMM.  Simply wonderful.  Thank you for all of your work.

I look forward to seeing more progress in the future.

Rick

PS.  I would like to comment (again) that the flag poles are nearly invisible.
Vive l'Empereur!

Hors ligne Sol Invictus

• Soldat
New Screenshots
« Réponse #5 le: 11 mai 2005, 17:19:27 pm »
Screens look great. The one thing that strikes me is the same thing that I disliked in Waterloo: NLB and Austerlitz: NGV; the flags looking so stiff. I realize that as a practical matter, they probably need to be stiff and distinct, but I wonder if they couldn't be made to seem to blow in the breeze just a bit.

Hors ligne Beren

• Officier d'HistWar - Duc de Tavarela
  • Modérateurs
  • Lieutenant
New Screenshots
« Réponse #6 le: 11 mai 2005, 18:59:43 pm »
I think exactly the same as Sol Invictus.

Hors ligne sunray

• Caporal
New Screenshots
« Réponse #7 le: 11 mai 2005, 23:47:05 pm »
JMM,

Just a small question. In screenshot 110501-1 we see a number of battalions halted on the outskirts of a village, and skirmishers are being pushed forward from those units towards the village. I believe this is a tactic to see if the enemy may have some unpleasant surprise waiting in the village. Am I correct in my assumption? And, more importantly, is this the actions of a human player or a subordinate AI commander?

And, by the way, thanks heaps for the new screenshots. This game is looking better and better all the time. Every time you post new screenshots, I download them, and email them to all my friends who are also eagerly awaiting fresh news of your game.

Kindest regards

sunray
 :D  :D

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
New Screenshots
« Réponse #8 le: 12 mai 2005, 00:44:06 am »
Bonsoir,

Merci beaucoup / thank you a lot for your support.

About the AI...
Generally speaking, either AI or Human Intelligence (the gamer) sends  the same orders (just 2 exceptions because there are only 3 levels for the AI.. and the player can send an order to a Division or a Brigade)...

So, when it's possible, AI always sends the skirmishers in front of its unit.
"Possible" means the unit (regiment) has a good rank.. For example, all french line regiments have this feature on the beginning (1805..1812). After 1812, just a dozen can do it.

BTW, the player can use the doctrine tool to modify the AI behaviour about the skirmish rule... In the battle, he also can control his regiment (formation : line or column with/without skirmisk, square, distance of fighting). This micro-managment is possible for the army with 10 or 15 regiments.. Over this strenght, you have to control your Corps, and sometimes your regiments.

For this first version, a battalion only can send one compagny... (it's not possible for the cavalery)...

And wait for the final flags.. I hope they will be better than these ones.

Also is it a lot of work to make the ranks and files slightly irregular to give them that 'human' look rather than a prefectly dressed 'machine' look?

I forgot... I agree with that.. As you know, I am showing these screenshots under construction.. I try to begin with the most important.. After that, I'll do the minor tasks (However I know these minor tasks give major effects 8) )

Best Regards
JMM

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
New Screenshots
« Réponse #9 le: 12 mai 2005, 00:48:24 am »
I was waiting a comment about the last screenshot...
Maybe it's not easy to see the phenomenom  :)

JMM

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
New Screenshots
« Réponse #10 le: 12 mai 2005, 08:12:17 am »
Citation de: "JMM"
I was waiting a comment about the last screenshot...
Maybe it's not easy to see the phenomenom  :)

JMM

I don't have inside information about this one so I guess I'm allowed to take a guess.  :P

Hmm... The only thing I can see (apart from the skirmishers in the front) is that the opposite side is shooting from a long distance. How far would you say it is?

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
New Screenshots
« Réponse #11 le: 12 mai 2005, 10:50:50 am »
Ok, I see it now, but I'll let others give the right answer (those who can't read french).  :wink:

However my question is still interesting. The opposite side are giving musket fire from a long distance (so it seems).

How far are they? How far can they shoot with muskets, in the game I mean?

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Hors ligne JMM

• Administrateur
  • Maréchal d'Empire
New Screenshots
« Réponse #12 le: 12 mai 2005, 11:24:15 am »
Citation de: "Link"

However my question is still interesting. The opposite side are giving musket fire from a long distance (so it seems).

How far are they? How far can they shoot with muskets, in the game I mean?

/Lars L.

Right Lars.. It's an artistic view  :D

Max Range is around 120 meters.. The gamer can choose the distance from 60 to 120 meters...

JMM