Auteur Sujet: Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG  (Lu 34186 fois)

Hors ligne Broadsword

• Capitaine
Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG
« le: 23 janvier 2010, 18:17:57 pm »
I'm as excited about the coming release of LG as anyone, but -- I really need these battles to "mean something" in the larger context of a campaign. Napoleon's real genius was in the operational art of war, and in arranging the circumstances so he could meet the enemy with superior numbers at the decisive place and time, on the battlefield of his own choosing. I loved the simulation of attrition and logistics in Kevin Zucker's classic Napoleonic boardgames, like "1809" or "Napoleon at Bay."
So, here is a thread for us to develop ideas on how we might use some other Napoleonic campaign game in conjunction with LG, to simulate real campaigns, until that wonderful day when JMM gives us a campaign-level game as well.
Frank Hunter's "Campaigns on the Danube 1805-1809" (Matrix Games) seemed very promising at first, because it is supposed to allow players to pause the campaign when a battle is about to happen, so they can use minitatures or some other tactical game to fight the battle, then "import" the results back into the campaign and continue it from there. Unfortunately, those of us who tried to play CotD on today's computers and OS have been frustrated at every turn. Hunter is promising an update sometime soon, but so far CotD has not been the answer to our needs.
The HPS Napoleonic wargames (Campaign Eckmuhl, etc) are OK, but they really don't model FOW, supply, and attrition enough for my taste. Lately, I've even wondered whether we might be better off playing one of the better campaign boardgames using Aide de Camp II (which lets boardgames be translated into digital versions that can be played PBEM on computer), and using that to set up the situations for LG battles. It's easier to "pause" and "restart" a boardgame campaign, to tally up the strengths, OOBs, etc, for a battle, than to use a campaign game on the PC that' doesn't let its OOBs and strengths be exported.
Any other ideas?
Does anyone else care?

Hors ligne Uhlanen

• Lieutenant
Re : Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG
« Réponse #1 le: 23 janvier 2010, 19:30:37 pm »
Yes I would like to see something like this. Years ago there was a Campaign management tool that we used for several campaigns that seemed to work very well. I have sent a PM (on another forum) to a fellow that knows allot more about it then I do and will post here when and if I get a reply. Been a long time since I have used it ( 2004ish) and dont know how well it could be adapted for use here if at all.

Hors ligne Count Miloradovich

• Lieutenant
« Modifié: 23 janvier 2010, 19:55:46 pm par Count Miloradovich »

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Major
Re: Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG
« Réponse #3 le: 24 janvier 2010, 14:09:19 pm »
ADC II looks interesting.  I expect it's IGOUGO? :(

I really like the idea of the campaign and finding some method of using PBEM to do it.  I have virtually no background in boardgaming but your ideas sound good.

ADC II looks like it came out 11+ years ago?   Will it work with our systems?
« Modifié: 24 janvier 2010, 14:54:29 pm par HarryInk »
"But I vil not divulge any furzer informazion!"

Hors ligne Cyrano

• Officier HistWar
  • Adjudant
« Réponse #4 le: 24 janvier 2010, 15:52:00 pm »
My intent is to use Pratzen's "Vol de L'Aigle".  It's essentially an operational-level kriegsspiel done on period maps with a pretty reasonable set of rules.

It currently has OrBats for all the major Napoleonic campaigns EXCEPT the Peninsula (a real regret), Italy, and Egypt.

FWIW, the more detail you throw into the strategic layer, in my relatively long experience, the less likely you are to finish.  To those planning on using EIA, I wish you well.  There is no greater system, IMHO, for simulating that level of the Napoleonic Wars, but you need seven real believers who are preferably either in college or retired.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, damned from here to eternity, God have mercy on such as we... -- The Whiffenpoofs

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #5 le: 24 janvier 2010, 16:18:56 pm »
in my relatively long experience, the less likely you are to finish.

Agreed, there will be many things started, but not so many that finish !.

I like the idea of a Camapign and I'm sure someone, somewhere, will make something work, but LG is such a big thing that it's less important than some may think......Campaigns are to create battles - yes ?.....that's what LG is for, to fight battles.

Even the very basic matter of getting people logged on at the same time, is many times harder than most people can even guess at.

Hors ligne Broadsword

• Capitaine
« Réponse #6 le: 24 janvier 2010, 18:37:04 pm »
Actually, I've found something I like better than ADCII and it serves the same purpose: Allowing you to play digital versions of board wargames. It's called Cyberboard ( http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/index.html ) and it's FREE (although the creator encourages users to donate if they like it).
Not only that, many many of the greatest board wargames have already been turned into Cyberboard "gameboxes" by the community. The best download site for them is Limey Yank Games ( http://loakes.game-host.org/limeyyankgames/limeySponsors.php ), and the vast majority of those gameboxes are free as well (although you always need to own a physical copy of the boardgame). I saw a gamebox for Kevin Zucker's "Napoleon At Bay," a favorite operational game long used by miniatures players to set the stage for tabletop battles. Als there was Zucker's acclaimed "Sun of Austerlitz."
So I took the plunge on a little experiment yesterday: I came across a Cyberboard gamebox for an interesting little solitaire campaign came called Napoleon At The Berezina ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6374/napoleon-at-the-berezina ), so I ordered the physical game. I was intrigued because it simulates one of the least romantic and most desperate episodes of Napoleon's career (retreating, army disintegrating, and about to be crushed with a river at his back). I'll report on my experience with it as an LG-partner here, maybe post some AARs. The winter weather and terrain in LG is already my favorite -- that mist and blowing snow is so miserably atmospheric...now all we need is a (apologies to Bob Dylan) "Napoleon In Rags" mod for the French uniforms!

Hors ligne War Depot David

• Caporal
« Réponse #7 le: 25 janvier 2010, 01:07:42 am »
Sounds great.  I too would love to see battles as part of a greater action.

I have tried EIA using my minis but gave up.  The interface on the campaign side is really bad.

I currently am checking out Berthiere.  Could work?

Otherwise I will just go to a boardgame or miniatures campaign system and import the OOBs for battles.

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
Re : Re : Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG
« Réponse #8 le: 25 janvier 2010, 01:24:28 am »
Sounds great.  I too would love to see battles as part of a greater action.

I have tried EIA using my minis but gave up.  The interface on the campaign side is really bad.

I currently am checking out Berthiere.  Could work?

Otherwise I will just go to a boardgame or miniatures campaign system and import the OOBs for battles.
Im Glad you guys have mentioned this.
Well you should'nt have given up, there is actually a very easy way of doing it, we have worked these details
We have a Campaign system using EiANW already made, using the third party battles system in the EiANW software
The Campaign will be involving a Danube Campaign set in 1805
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!
http://www.thegeneralshq.org
http://www.histwar.org/forum/index.php/board,118.0.html
Histwar Les Grognards beta tester

Hors ligne Los

• Caporal
« Réponse #9 le: 25 janvier 2010, 02:48:33 am »
I have Pratzen's "Vol de L'Aigle" and it's designed for exactly what you want to do. Also there is a vassal module out for it to run of your PC. Good stuff.

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Major
« Réponse #10 le: 25 janvier 2010, 03:25:31 am »
Broadsword, you're a bloody gem!  When I reformatted my computer, I lost the link I had to cyberboard & couldn't remember it's name.  Good on ya!  I'll go and check it out.

Like Cyrano, I bought a copy of Pratzen Edition's 'vol de l'aigle' and recently a mate lent me back the old copy I had of the Empire Games campaign system (15 years ago!).  Presumedly Cyberboard could 'computerise' either of them so that I can run campaigns with more than just the mates I have around here (and solve some of the bookwork for me either way).

Looks like we'll get a campaign running at some stage --- and maybe that fella will update CotD so it isn't 'abandonware').

HEY LOS, where/what is the vassal module?  Where do we get it?  Off Pratzen or is it elsewhere?

Hors ligne HarryInk

• Major
« Réponse #11 le: 25 janvier 2010, 04:01:40 am »
Oooo.  A little research and I find: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=380

So, with LVdA and this module, something should be possible?  How exciting!

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #12 le: 25 janvier 2010, 08:58:21 am »
Looks like we'll get a campaign running at some stage --- and maybe that fella will update CotD so it isn't 'abandonware').
[quote/]

The last I heard CotD want going to have a feateur in it for third party battles.
There is a certain cluckness about the change over but with clear attitudes would be good
Write your own History!

Online most times @Skype "The Generals HQ or gazfun. Friday 1900hrs +10 GMT join us if you can!

Hors ligne LNDavout

• Modérateurs
  • Chef de Bataillon
Re : Re : Let's figure out a way to do campaigns with LG
« Réponse #13 le: 25 janvier 2010, 10:44:54 am »
Actually, I've found something I like better than ADCII and it serves the same purpose: Allowing you to play digital versions of board wargames. It's called Cyberboard ( http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/index.html ) and it's FREE (although the creator encourages users to donate if they like it).
Not only that, many many of the greatest board wargames have already been turned into Cyberboard "gameboxes" by the community. The best download site for them is Limey Yank Games ( http://loakes.game-host.org/limeyyankgames/limeySponsors.php ), and the vast majority of those gameboxes are free as well (although you always need to own a physical copy of the boardgame). I saw a gamebox for Kevin Zucker's "Napoleon At Bay," a favorite operational game long used by miniatures players to set the stage for tabletop battles. Als there was Zucker's acclaimed "Sun of Austerlitz."
So I took the plunge on a little experiment yesterday: I came across a Cyberboard gamebox for an interesting little solitaire campaign came called Napoleon At The Berezina ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6374/napoleon-at-the-berezina ), so I ordered the physical game. I was intrigued because it simulates one of the least romantic and most desperate episodes of Napoleon's career (retreating, army disintegrating, and about to be crushed with a river at his back). I'll report on my experience with it as an LG-partner here, maybe post some AARs. The winter weather and terrain in LG is already my favorite -- that mist and blowing snow is so miserably atmospheric...now all we need is a (apologies to Bob Dylan) "Napoleon In Rags" mod for the French uniforms!

great links.

This can help :)

Hors ligne gazfun

• Chevalier d'HistWar
  • Modérateur
  • Colonel
  • Avartar
    • The Generals HQ
« Réponse #14 le: 25 janvier 2010, 11:04:46 am »
Guys this is the harder way to go let me say
« Modifié: 25 janvier 2010, 11:09:49 am par gazfun »
Write your own History!