46-55
4 (10.8%)
56-65
1 (2.7%)
66-100
0 (0%)

Totale votanti: 37

Le votazioni sono chiuse: 30 Aprile 2005, 11:27:48 am

Autore Topic: Age survey  (Letto 39946 volte)

Offline Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Age survey
« il: 30 Aprile 2005, 11:27:48 am »
Hi all,

This forum is very civilized compared to many other forums. It usually means that it’s only older gentlemen around here. With older I mean older than 25.  :wink:

So I was wondering how old you people are.  8)

Our French friends are more than welcome to participate here too. :)

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Offline Le Tondu

• Officier HistWar : Grognard de la Vieille Garde
  • Capitaine
Age survey
« Risposta #1 il: 30 Aprile 2005, 19:50:49 pm »
Let's see.  I've been Napoleonic wargaming for 31+ years.  Hmmmmm.  That makes me 27.  Right?   :wink:
Vive l'Empereur!

Offline Reinel

• Officier d'HistWar - Duc de Rivoli
  • Général de Brigade
  • DéconnOR
Age survey
« Risposta #2 il: 02 Maggio 2005, 09:17:31 am »
Hello,

Good idea !

Sometime I think I am too old to write in net-forum (I try to all understand but sometime it's difficult with teen's language)

Excuse my poor english

@+

Offline Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Age survey
« Risposta #3 il: 02 Maggio 2005, 13:24:25 pm »
Bonjour,

No need to excuse yourself Reinel.  :wink:

When did you start with wargames?

I started in 1996 when I got my first PC. I never played miniature rules with lead  soldiers though.

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Offline Reinel

• Officier d'HistWar - Duc de Rivoli
  • Général de Brigade
  • DéconnOR
Age survey
« Risposta #4 il: 02 Maggio 2005, 14:35:03 pm »
Hello Link,

I started to play wargames in 1988-1990 with "Austerlitz" and "Waterloo" (editor : SSI, I think...) on Atari ST. Like you, I don't play miniature rules before.
And my first wargame on PC : Close Combat 1 (1995 ?).
Since 1995 (and for the period of Napoleonic wars) : Battleground serie, Waterloo the last battle, 1813.

Now, I'm 40 (aïe  :wink: )

@+

Offline Link

• Comte d'Hanau
  • Major
Age survey
« Risposta #5 il: 02 Maggio 2005, 15:15:56 pm »
I loved playing those battleground and breakaway games.  :D
1813 was big disappointment though.  :x

I’m “only” 39 and I’m holding on to that as long as possible.  :P
I’m turning 40 later this year.  :cry:  

You don’t seem to have any problem with English Rainel so please join this thread too if you like:
http://www.histwar.com/forum/about1006.html

/Lars L.
Lars L.

Offline sammarie

• Grognard
  • Capitaine
Age survey
« Risposta #6 il: 03 Maggio 2005, 23:05:31 pm »
Hi all,

My first wargame was "field of  glory"  by Sid Mier (I don't remenber the year). After this game i've bought all battleground game for Napy and some for the ACW. Now i'm still playing the HPS campaign for Napy and ACW. I'm involved since 5 years ago in two clubs (NWC and ACWGC).

Sorry for my bad and poor English.  :oops:  :oops:
Amicalement, G.K.

"Malheur au Général qui vient sur le champ de bataille avec un système."(Bonaparte 1796)

Offline sunray

• Caporal
Age survey
« Risposta #7 il: 04 Maggio 2005, 00:02:22 am »
Hi,

I have had an insatiable appetite for all things military, all of my life. I started off reinacting a multitude of battles throughout history with armies of Airfix 1/72 scale soldiers, guns, and vehicles. Napoleonic has always been my favourite era. When computers came on the scene, I saw them as a way of doing the same thing, in real time, without taking up as much space around the house. I started by playing 'Dune 2', then 'Command & Conquer'. Then I realised that resource gathering and tank rush were definitely not my bag. This is when I started to look for real computer wargames.

I am fifty-six years of age, and my computer wargaming has stretched over quite a few years. I was never into board wargames, and only ever had a brief look at them. I started off with real time tactical games, and didn't much like turn based games, even though this helped with the management side of things. The other thing I didn't like about board games was the lack of graphics, and action.

If I remember correctly, my first computer wargame was 'Walls of Rome' (even though it was to some extent turn based), followed by 'Fields of Glory'. I loved 'Fields of Glory', the way it duplicated regiments in brigade groups etc. But I didn't much like the micro management. I moved on to Sid Mier's 'Gettysburg', but I longed for subordinate AI commanders who I could issue broad orders to, and they would use reasonable intelligence to carry them out. I am convinced that Histwar will give me this. One of the features that I found quite good in 'Fields of Glory' was to be able to command your troops to occupy buildings, and see the musket barrels (with bayonets attached) sticking out of the windows, and see them firing.

I also played the Microprose game 'Civil War', which was a game based on the American Civil War. I loved to be able to organise my brigades, divisions, corps, and armies. And then conduct a tactical game, and at the same time recruit the types of regiments that I felt I needed.

As soon as the Total War series of 3D games came on the market, I played them extensively, and have played the Napoleonic Total War conversion for 'Medieval: Total War' (produced by 'The Lordz'). I am currently waiting for the release of Napoleonic Total War 2, which will give 'Rome: Total War' the same treatment. Although I am firmly convinced that Histwar is the one that will give me all that I dare to hope for.

I have also played the Close Combat series quite a lot (loved the Vietnam mod for CC3), and 'Sudden Strike'. I have played 'Blitzkrieg' much more than any other game. The mods for it have added many new lives to Blitzkrieg.

As you can see I like realtime wargaming of all eras, with a definite preference for Napoleonic. Your game looks like just what I have been seeking for some years now. I wish you the best of luck with it, and hope it is released in the near future. I have been eagerly following its progress for some time, and am very excited about it. I hope it will be a tremendous success. So much so, that you use the same engine to make games of several other eras.

By the way, I was wrapped in the movie of gameplay you released recently. I loved seeing the lines of skirmishers pushed out well ahead of their regiments (like in real life), and seeing the cannonballs scream across the battlefield and air burst above the heads of the infantry. This level of realism is fantastic to see.

kindest regards

sunray
 :)  :)

Offline crash

• Chef de Bataillon
Age survey
« Risposta #8 il: 04 Maggio 2005, 23:22:12 pm »
I am 40 years old  :roll:

Offline dessaix45

• Adjudant
Age survey
« Risposta #9 il: 04 Maggio 2005, 23:51:24 pm »
37 ans (dont 25 ans de passion pour l'Empereur)

This is an English forum so I'll translate it for you even though I think most of us  understood it.  8)

Translation to English:
37 years (including 25 years of passion for the Emperor)

/Lars L.
vive le petit tondu!!!Mon coeur est à toi,mon sang à l'honneur et ma vie à l'Empereur(Lassale à sa femme)

Offline saddletank

• Adjudant
Age survey
« Risposta #10 il: 06 Maggio 2005, 15:22:57 pm »
I started wargaming with 'real' rules instead of Britains metal cannons that fired matchsticks  8)  when I was 12. That was with Airfix plastic American War of Independence figures and Charles Grants 'The Wargame' SYW rules. I've been a wargamer now for 33 years so you can work out the rest.

I've played all periods but post-Vietnam gets too close to home for comfort so I generally don't do post-1945 gaming. I prefer the Lace Wars (say 1700-1780) with Napoleonics a close second. I also enjoy the various campaigns in Europe in the period 1848-1871, a time of great technological and social change. I still use 'Age of Rifles' to play those battles on the PC. I've done WWI air battles; Ancient, Napoleonic, WWI and WW2 naval battles. But eventually marriage and a family meant I no longer had the space in the house for a games table and not enough time anyway, so I sold off my many wargame armies and fleets and went through a dry patch until quite recently when I have begun wargaming on the computer. I don't enjoy the Avalon Hill hex-map game converted to the screen kind of game, I'd rather see a computer do what computers do best and animate figures for a real time 3D battle.

However the developers of games just don't seem interested enough in the market potential of realistic 18th or 19th centuries to make a decent quality game that's got any sort of historcal accuracy. The recent offerings by CDV and Pyro are laughable, and show no imagination in their gameplay at all being just TW clones, so I'm waiting to see what Les Grognards can deliver.
Cheers, Martin