Auteur Sujet: Bayonet Charge?  (Lu 13985 fois)

Hors ligne jack

• Lieutenant
Re : Bayonet Charge?
« Réponse #15 le: 12 mai 2010, 18:39:43 pm »
yes to the Falklands was a company

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #16 le: 12 mai 2010, 18:52:02 pm »
I know the Paras were involved. There was also a crazy engagement involving the Ghurkas.  I will check up on both and post

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #17 le: 12 mai 2010, 20:46:11 pm »
Goose Green, A battle is fought to be won - by Mark Adkin, a highly detailed book with many maps and photos. 

A bit off topic, but it's a very sad fact that more British soliders have commited suicide since then, than were killed in the Falklands in 1982 (258 ??)  - when will Goverments learn how to treat their troops AFTER the fighting has finished ?.

The Falklands War 1982, almost 30 years ago, hard to believe it was so long ago....... 

Now we have British Oil Companies drilling for oil down there.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #18 le: 12 mai 2010, 20:53:47 pm »
Your right G24, same here in USA, many guys with "PTSS" and the Vet admin doesn't have the funding to help them properly.
30 years, I remember the news "I counted them out and counted them back in", I remember the burnt Welshman from the Sir Gallahad. The Marines "Yomping" across the island because their choppers had been sunk on the Atlantic Conveyer.
War is always tragic but those poor Argentinians had no idea.

Hors ligne Gunner24

• Officier HistWar
  • Général de Division
« Réponse #19 le: 12 mai 2010, 22:34:33 pm »
I remember it....I was in my only period of unemployment at the time, getting a new job shortly after it ended

Am I right it remembering that it was at the start of the 9pm evening news that HMS Sheffield was announced to have been hit ?.  That was a massive shock in the uk......

War is always tragic but those poor Argentinians had no idea.
There Army was no match for the British ground troops, but their Air Force sure was.  Those pilots had outstanding skill in the low level attacks, but the bombs were not fused correctly ??????.......Best not say too much about the Navy. 

We should all hope that history does not have to repeat it's self in the South Atlantic in the years to come.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #20 le: 12 mai 2010, 23:38:57 pm »
I think it was, I remember the shock and silence in the living room but worst for me was watching Sir Ivor and Sir Gallahad burn

Hors ligne Markwooda

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #21 le: 17 mai 2010, 17:18:27 pm »
I know some of my friends in 1 Para fixed bayonets and charged a crowd of Iraqi locals and militia men after running short of ammunition.

This incident occurred after their chinook was shot down when trying to rescue several military policemen who sadly were caught and murdered by the crowd I think in 2003 - it was just after the invasion.

I heard that the American army has just made bayonets obsolete teaching their personnel to grab whatever they can and issuing pump action shot guns - I think this is ok, but nothing focuses the mind like hearing the order to fix bayonets.

Hors ligne AJ

• Général de Brigade
  • Sir Arthur Wellesley
    • Napoleonic Battle Corp
« Réponse #22 le: 17 mai 2010, 17:40:44 pm »
I think the Bayonet has a psychological effect like no other weapon. The Brits still teach them to scream as they are charging. Can you imagine some hairy assed screaming Brit charging at you, screaming his head off and firing simutaneously.
Are you going to stand your ground? I think the USA is making a mistake here.

Hors ligne Markwooda

• Lieutenant
« Réponse #23 le: 17 mai 2010, 19:22:16 pm »
I totally agree, Even sharpening one Is a serious business - it places a soldier in the right frame of mind.

I belive the US Marines have chosen to keep them, precisely for that reason